Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Household Ubuntuage

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Household Ubuntuage

Well, I've done it.

I made the switch for my household from WinXP to Ubuntu (at least, the portion I control...).

I switched my laptop shortly before joining this forum, and I've since reinstalled it once, to optimize partitioning. This weekend, however, I decided to move my desktop to Ubuntu as well. I had some hardships (from the ATi driver on the install disc bombing my install out, to the 8.34 ATi driver nearly disabling my system entirely) but I've overcome them all, and made the switch. I still have a copy of my old workstation in VMware format just in case I forgot something, but everything is looking good so far.

The only thing I haven't found a linux version for is a Nortel VPN client. That's the main reason I still have my WinXP vmware machine.

I'm hoping that over time I can find the time and the energy to hook up my other two workstations (one was a winxp tv pc for a while, the other is just a file server) and get them converted, and of course the wife's laptop will remain XP until I can convince her otherwise. She's getting more used to Ubuntu, but I don't think she wants it yet.

Either way, it's one more step toward total MS freedom. Hooray for open source!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Household Ubuntuage

I'm slowly doing the same! I have the laptop which is all ubuntu. The wife has basically stolen that and making me use my work XP laptop. The kids are still running 98, which is good for them because of the kiddy games out there, and the main PC is still running XP. But w have found that since we have the laptops, we are using the main PC much less. So I am thinking of making the switch for that one too! And of course, the ESX server is running Linux with Ubuntu Server VM's and one 2003 vm for an IIS implementation. The other IIS server will go away when I move the site over to drupal or some other CMS.

Beans
    Distro

Of course, I jinxed myself...

I rebooted on my way to bed last night, and didn't bother to watch it start back up. I stayed home from work today, and when I came down, I found that it was sitting at the Ubuntu loading screen (with the scrolling bar across the bottom) with a green stripe across the middle, locked up.

I rebooted, nothing. I tried recovery mode, nothing. I replaced my xorg.conf file, nothing. FInally, after about 4 reboots, in recovery mode, my system decided to do an fsck on /dev/hda2. I'v been sitting here ever since watching it spout off about Buffer I/O errors on hda2.

At this point, I'm loading up the livecd to see if it can fsck a little easier. If not, I'll pull that drive out and work from my sata drives alone. Fun, fun day.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I've switched completely to Linux(Ubuntu and Sabayon specifically) with all the computers I control, although my parents still have computers with Windows XP, but that is gonna(hopefully) change soon. I've talked my mom into at least letting me install Ubuntu on her old computer when we get a new one, and my dad is gonna let me install it on his old one, once he buys a new computer. The toughest part for me was the fact that I use stuff like Dreamweaver, but I've gotten over that by now.
    ~Jordan Montgomery

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm glad to hear the ubuntu movement is catching on for alot of people. Me personally i was trying other versions of linux on and off for the past couple of years, starting with mandrake, and then slackware, and then i came across ubuntu. I installed on my sony vaio laptop (switching from winxp) and i have loved it ever since. I have actually installed it on my kids desktop computer as well, and even working on the server edition at my work. Once my new computer arrives i am taking my current desktop computer and installing server edition on it as well and making it a domain/file server. I have told alot of people about ubuntu and i would use it over any other distribution.

Beans
    Distro

After some more hardships (just a run of bad luck) I got Ubuntu reinstalled on my desktop system with little to no file loss. I hadn't put anything on my /home partition yet other than .deb files, and those I can download again.

I've also installed Ubuntu 6.06 LTS on my file server. I might just reinstall it sometime soon though as a 6.10 server, because I've never installed the server version and would like to see how it goes. Now that I know how to set up SSH, I really don't need the gui. I've got one more desktop machine that I might take to Ubuntu, but it's not been turned on in several months, so there's no rush on that. The wife's laptop is the only thing really left with XP at this point, and she's adamant about not switching it. It's a 400mhz, 256mb ram machine, so it might only be friendly with Xubuntu anyway, and I don't think she'd care for that interface.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

jkeyes0 - i would recommend getting the server edition and playing around with it. OpenSSH server/Client is very easy to install on it and you will be up and going with that and samba (if you wish) in no time.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I've got openssh server on my 6.06 fileserver at the moment, it's just a desktop install instead of a server install. I might download the 6.10 server disc and reinstall for fun, though. 600gb of storage space empty, and I need to find something to do with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yeah you do have alot of room to play with there... Also check this link out this might be a better use of your HD space.

http://plutohome.com/index.php

You can use your own hardware etc...

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

My girlfriend, mom, and sister have been using Linux for a long time now. They're currently using Ubuntu, but used FC3/4 before that, and Debian before that. The last windows machine we had was a Packard Bell 120MHz. (They all love Ubuntu, too)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast