Thread: e220 ubuntu 8.04

Beans

e220 ubuntu 8.04

Hi all

I am new to linux and I am also very sick and tired of w$#@&#s the only thing holding me back is that I cannot get my e220 usb modem to work on it i have red alot of forums on the net and i have also tried a couple of them but just can't get it right if there is someone in South Africa that can help me please mail me at ignac.mare@gmail.com.

Thanks

Beans

Re: e220 ubuntu 8.04

Quote Originally Posted by Ignacmare View Post
    Hi all
    i have red alot of forums on the net and i have also tried a couple of them but just can't get it right
    Well, there are many ways to skin a cat, yes.

Your easiest solution is probably to use an Ubuntu Intrepid Beta. It supports 3G modems out of the box via Network Manager.

Otherwise, take a look at the vodafone "driver": https://forge.betavine.net/projects/vodafonemobilec/

Beans

Thanks for the reply but I have tried that and also gives me an error I need an Internet connection to get it to work and that is what I am trying to get it to work and I do not have another internet connection.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I know its a little late but you can get it up through pppconfig. its a bit of a mission at first but let me know if you need it and i will see if i can right up a quick how to guide.
    The original point and click interface was The Smith & Wesson.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nunu View Post
    I know its a little late but you can get it up through pppconfig. its a bit of a mission at first but let me know if you need it and i will see if i can right up a quick how to guide.
    well, this conversation is a bit moot by now. intrepid ibex supports 3G in full using network-manager. just plug it in, fill in a couple of questions in the wizard (i think it only asks for your country and service provider), and away you go.

i think they did a bang up job implementing 3G support in ubuntu and really dont think that any of the alternative methods mentioned are worth trying. i wouldn't even recommend the instructions that i posted on my blog (FreeMinds).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Circus-Killer View Post
    well, this conversation is a bit moot by now. intrepid ibex supports 3G in full using network-manager. just plug it in, fill in a couple of questions in the wizard (i think it only asks for your country and service provider), and away you go.

i think they did a bang up job implementing 3G support in ubuntu and really dont think that any of the alternative methods mentioned are worth trying. i wouldn't even recommend the instructions that i posted on my blog (FreeMinds).
    Agreed 100%... There is just one thing though that would be awsome, and i really wish i could develop that. Is the ability to see and send SMS on the sim but i am sure in time that will come along as nicley as the 3G support did.
    The original point and click interface was The Smith & Wesson.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nunu View Post
    Agreed 100%... There is just one thing though that would be awsome, and i really wish i could develop that. Is the ability to see and send SMS on the sim but i am sure in time that will come along as nicley as the 3G support did.
    hahaha, funny, i've been thinking the same thing for a while now.