Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SA Government to switch to linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: SA Government to switch to linux

Quote Originally Posted by dariusdwtt View Post
    Only makes sence, since all important things have been done on Linux since the beginning.
    I'm sure near all the parts of government that need reliable OSs us Linux. Like all militarys are prob on Linux. Some windows developers even use it to make windows lol. So I guess it was inevitable.
    Using linux to dev windows lmao!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thumbs up Re: SA Government to switch to linux

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogen View Post
    I think that linux is fantastic.

I like what the ubuntu people are doing.
    I just think that linux still has a long way to go before it will compete with microsoft on desktop computers.

almost every shop in South Africa is filled with windows programs.
    Sadly hardly any linux stuff.

The next problem is with using linux, in windows you just click a couple of times and it works. With linux it could take you an entire day to get a program running, just to find out that it sucks in comparasion to the windows version.

I do find that linux is extremely stable but what is the point if every thing is a ball ache to setup.
    @Nitrogen:

"almost every shop in South Africa is filled with windows programs." well, the internet is filled with linux/oss stuff

"The Next problem is with using linux, in windows you just click a couple of times and it works." My boss had the reverse experience: In linux he just clicked a couple of times and it worked. I'm referring to his laptop's lan connection... in fact, he didn't do anything. It just worked. Whereas he had to install his driver in windows to make the connection active...

"With linux it could take you an entire day to get a program running, just to find out that it sucks in comparasion to the windows version." An entire day!? I assume you talk about setting up iptables and squid... and lastly you should compare apples with apples. windows infected most people's minds so they *think* Linux is difficult and Windows is easy. I beg to differ. When is the last time I had to struggle with removing a virus, or scan my computer because it got slow? The only trouble is the hardware when a hard drive fails or something similar.

So in short I'm trying to bust the myth of "I don't find Linux apps anywhere, it's difficult to use and setting up is a nightmare". Ok, you can complain about the setup nightmare if you run into server-setup troubles I have some experience troubleshooting those and they are headaches! But for normal usage, "windows equivalent" type of install, it is surpassing windows in terms of ease

I hope this makes the way clear for most M$-brainwashed-me-people
    Intel P4 2.8Ghz, 1Gb DDR2, 80Gb SATA, Ubuntu 9.10
    Acer Aspire One::Ubuntu 9.10
    http://nuvolari.co.za/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've also enjoyed some network benefits. For some reason when I'm capped. I have unlimited local on Linux, but no local at all in windows???? not complaining.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I know for a fact that most of the government departments was already running Squid as a proxy. Mind you this was in 2007. All government departments connects through a central network. I think it was housed in PTA if i am not mistaken, and back in the day of being a site techy there where a lot of linux systems running there.
    The original point and click interface was The Smith & Wesson.

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Great to read.!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

most informative. Would actually be interisting to know how many Linux boxes is being used at the moment. I also heard (Can't remember where though) that one of the Large South African retail stores... you know the one with the red and blue logo, was also migrating there operations to an open source platform.
    The original point and click interface was The Smith & Wesson.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12