Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SA Government to switch to linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

SA Government to switch to linux

Government recently announced that it will be switching over to linux.
    Should be interesting to watch. we'll have to see how it goes.

Read more here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: SA Government to switch to linux

Wow! That's cool! I'm guessing first the governments are gonna start switching, and then business' , and then homes, and after that linux will rule the world >8] I read somewhere last year that some government thingy place in europe started using red hat i think.
    I'm in your thread, killing your stoopids!

Beans
    Hidden!

That's South Africa right?

Cool. So who's keeping score so far? Cuba, SA, Venezuala, France, China, Norway, and probably a few others have made serious commitments to Open Source. Let's hope the trend continues.
    It's all about people

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Great! Germany's already pressured Redmond into using open document formats.

The future looks bright kids!
    Intel 3.2Ghz Prescott | 1024MB DDR2 533Mhz | Intel GEV915 Motherboard | GeForce 8600GT
    Registered Linux User #422029
    Name the next release Dodgy Duck!

Beans

The SA Gov has said this before. Not long after that the Vole sales & marketing paid them a visit and they signed a new contract.

I don't believe it until I see it.

Btw. Vole = MS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

actually, they have been switching for the last 1 and a half years already (but chose to only officially announce it last week). remember mips, companies dont make the switch in one day, it takes months, if not years. now to try switch an entire countries infrastructure to linux will take a LOT longer.

cant remember which country, but one of them that already made the switch, it took them 3 years to do it. so yah, quit being both negative and hasty. and furthermore, they would have to renew their contract with MS until they have COMPLETED the switch. in fact, i would suspect that their contract would even allow for some overlap time in case they run behind schedule.

remember, by government, we are talking about parliment, police, traffic deparment, home affairs, public hospitals, public schools, and so forth. that is a huge amount of change, and i would expect at least a year for each "department" to change on their own, so collectively it could take as long as up to 5 to 10 years. but rather them start now, then not starting at all.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Circus-Killer View Post
    remember mips, companies dont make the switch in one day, it takes months, if not years. now to try switch an entire countries infrastructure to linux will take a LOT longer.
    I'm well aware of the time frames for migration. What I'm questioning is the governments commitment/dedication to this.

I've seen how government operates, it's scary to say the least.

It only takes a change of a few key people for things to swing in the opposite direction. We saw this with SARS when Jarvis & co left.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I think that linux is fantastic.

I like what the ubuntu people are doing.
    I just think that linux still has a long way to go before it will compete with microsoft on desktop computers.

almost every shop in South Africa is filled with windows programs.
    Sadly hardly any linux stuff.

The next problem is with using linux, in windows you just click a couple of times and it works. With linux it could take you an entire day to get a program running, just to find out that it sucks in comparasion to the windows version.

I do find that linux is extremely stable but what is the point if every thing is a ball ache to setup.

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Only makes sence, since all important things have been done on Linux since the beginning.
    I'm sure near all the parts of government that need reliable OSs us Linux. Like all militarys are prob on Linux. Some windows developers even use it to make windows lol. So I guess it was inevitable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast