Thread: CAD via Remote Desktop?

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

CAD via Remote Desktop?

I've been looking for a way to run those pesky few necessary 3D Windows apps without dual booting for a long time and it finally occurred to me that Ubuntu has a Remote Desktop client built right in. So what I'm wondering is, has anybody ever used 3D software, like CAD, over a fast network using Remote Desktop? It'd be nice to know, first of all, if it is at all possible to run it at a usable speed that way, and also how fast of a network would be necessary to avoid too much slowdown. Ideally, I'd love to get ahold of a sufficiently fast desktop with a good video card and then Remote Desktop to it from my laptop over a wireless LAN when I need to do some CAD work. Obviously, since I'd already have the desktop running the software there isn't a whole lot of point to this, but it would be nice to have the ability to do some work from the couch while taking advantage of the desktop's superior graphics card and memory, all within my familiar Gnome desktop.

Beans

Re: CAD via Remote Desktop?

Bump

I use remote when I go up to the college here to play music off my desktop at home. I can play audio fine off of my desktop but can't do much with video.

Beans

Re: CAD via Remote Desktop?

Not exactly Ubunutu, but my experience may be of help. At my college I use a server to run a lot of my FEM stuff and I just remote into it. It's a Windows Server box. Mainly I use Pro/Mechanica for my simulations. Occasionally I have been the only user in it, and while it crunches the numbers really fast, it is slow slow slow for displaying and rotating solid models. They advised me just to build the model on a workstation then run the simulation on the server because of this. From what I gather, the network just can't keep up with the solid model graphics. I am not sure if this was a 100 Mbit or 1 Gbit lan.

2D programs work just fine. Autocad runs like it is local.