Thread: Truth happens...

Beans

Truth happens...

First they ignore you,
    Then they laugh at you,
    Then they fight you,
    Then you win.

Sounds familiar?

A redhat commercial I came across on digg:http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1499295322
    Enjoy

Digg post: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1499295322
    "Historically I've had a “love-hate” relationship with Apple. They love themselves and I hate them."
    - Jeremy Allison

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Truth happens...

Nice ad,
    I'm not sure that "truth" applies to Linux though. As always time will tell, I don't feel like making any predictions. I know many of you don't agree with this but... I still think that for this ad to be true there need to be a few exceptionally dominant distributions not 30, not 10, something like 3-5. How can a company like HP, or pick your favorite hardware support devices when there are 50 versions to be made?
    How will average Joe end user pick. Some might think that having so many is good for choice but most people its just intimidating.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by SonicSteve View Post
    I still think that for this ad to be true there need to be a few exceptionally dominant distributions not 30, not 10, something like 3-5. How can a company like HP, or pick your favorite hardware support devices when there are 50 versions to be made?
    Linux is Linux. One driver will work for all distros, all that changes is the packaging. Making a .deb, .rpm, tarball, whatever is not that big a deal for a hardware company.

Beans
    Hidden!

fifty years from now, somebody could be laughing at that commercial. all those things quoted were stated in arrogance. i could be wrong about this, but i'm not sure arrogance is the best approach.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SonicSteve View Post
    Nice ad,
    I'm not sure that "truth" applies to Linux though. As always time will tell, I don't feel like making any predictions. I know many of you don't agree with this but... I still think that for this ad to be true there need to be a few exceptionally dominant distributions not 30, not 10, something like 3-5. How can a company like HP, or pick your favorite hardware support devices when there are 50 versions to be made?
    How will average Joe end user pick. Some might think that having so many is good for choice but most people its just intimidating.
    Yeah I agree, but I do think things are changing. Look at ubuntu it's the dominant and most recommendable distro for home users. Then there is redhat and suse for the enterprises.
    I always try to speak of ubuntu as an OS on it's own. yeah its based on linux but it's just ubuntu.

As for this commercial, it won't help average Joe switching to linux, but it does look cool and is IMO true in a way.
    "Historically I've had a “love-hate” relationship with Apple. They love themselves and I hate them."
    - Jeremy Allison

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fuscia View Post
    fifty years from now, somebody could be laughing at that commercial. all those things quoted were stated in arrogance. i could be wrong about this, but i'm not sure arrogance is the best approach.
    Commercials usually have some degree of arrogance in them. Just look at Apple.
    - Jeremy Allison

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bastiegast View Post
    Commercials usually have some degree of arrogance in them. Just look at Apple.

That is true. But if they don't make their commercials like this they will fail to sell their product.
    Educate men without faith and you make them clever devils
    Educate men without Linux, then yeah, the opposite happens
    Let Chakra guide the way
    U.3F

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Interesting video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtdnZNYN0MM

Ok, this is a Redhat commercial, but, it's interesting none the less.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans

Re: Interesting video

nice. too bad we don't see any commercials for linux, at least not as widespread as mac's and window's commercials (mac ads FTW).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Interesting video

I've merged yours in with the other Cafe thread on the same video.

There's also a thread on it in the Red Hat/Fedora subforum:
    Red Hat "Truth Happens"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast