Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ubuntu Voted Distribution of the Year!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Ubuntu Voted Distribution of the Year!

Quote Originally Posted by darkhatter View Post
    Ubuntu keeps winning that over and over again how is this news, and KDE always wins how is that new. I forget to vote this time around...
    I brought this up only because I think Ubuntu is missing a trick. Based on this survey from a non-distro centric, popular, well established Linux Forum: KDE is the most popular desktop environment in the Linux world. Yet Ubuntu defaults with Gnome. Sure, there is Kubuntu but a lot of people wont know or care about that they'll just use what is put in front of them (Gnome).

I think the Ubuntu folks are missing a trick by defaulting to a less* popular desktop environment. Everyone here wants Ubuntu to be a major success and surely the best way to achieve that is to use the best software available?

Please don't play the "choice" card. Sure it's about choice, it's nice to have a choice but based on the numbers it would seem to be a better idea to have Ubuntu as a KDE default and have "Gubuntu" as a side project.

cg

* based on above survey

p.s. I'm trying to instigate a debate based on the numbers, I'm not trying to start a flamewar. If you're only intention is to post "KDE sucks11!!" then please don't bother
    Registered Linux user: 311835

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

KDE is the most popular desktop environment in the Linux world. Yet Ubuntu defaults with Gnome.
    ... and Kubuntu defaults to KDE. So what ? There's even a link to kubuntu (with a tooltip saying "kubuntu - KDE .desktop that just works" so anyone who was going to download ubuntu but prefers KDE kan find it from there). After all Ubutu + KDE = Kubuntu, so there already is an ubuntu with KDE.

and then
    I think the Ubuntu folks are missing a trick by defaulting to a less* popular desktop environment. [as oposed to] ... to use the best software available?
    You're assuming/suggesting that more popular automatically means better, or that gnome is less popular becose KDE is better. - that's either wrong or misleading.
    And where in the survey does it say that KDE is the best software available ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by tubasoldier View Post
    Are you calling me a hate-monger because I prefer KDE? Sure, I use some kio_slaves every once in a while. But is that any reason to hate me?
    Using slaves = hate-monger

Since none of you seem to detect sarcasm in any way shape or form, let me just throw this in here:

JUST KIDDING.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread reopened.

Note: I'm opening this thread after the cool down period. Stay on topic any off topic inflammatory postings will be jailed with out question,and will risk the thread being closed permanently.
    Last edited by John.Michael.Kane; February 21st, 2007 at 02:54 PM.
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123