Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install J2EE

Beans

How to install J2EE

Is there a way to install J2EE from synaptic? All Sun has is a bin file. Any help would be appreciated as I am new to Linux. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: How to install J2EE

Do you want J2EE ( Java Platform, Enterprise Edition) or the Java development kit. If the former, it is not in synaptic you will have to download it from Sun. If the latter, it is in the repo under sun-java.
    When I invented the Web, I didn't have to ask anyone's permission.
    ~Tim Berners-Lee on Net Neutrality
    -------------------------------------
    Visit the Ubuntu Programming IRC-channel at #ubuntu-programming (chat.freenode.net).

Beans

I wanna write J2EE code...so I'm guessing i need to get it from SUN ya?

Beans
    Hidden!

just stick with php. if you can't figure out how to get the sdk installed it's pretty much hopeless www.sun.com click download, jee6 linux .bin. google for how to extract a tar file, or better yet just search this forum, this comes up all the time.

then get eclipse and an app server, tomcat with open ejb is the easiest, jboss is cool if you've got the patience and hardware.

Beans

haha id do it in php except ive gotta do my HW assignment in Java

Beans

Download the .bin file for linux from sun's website, run chmod +x *.bin && ./*.bin, replace '*' by the actual file name.
    You know have a directory with the executables and such.

Beans

when i install j2ee.bin,something weird just happen .
    the installing process is stumbled.........show "deleting temp file " and then no response.
    someone who know why..
    thks...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If you are a beginner wanting to play with J2EE, get NetBeans installed. It has everything bundled ready to go.

BTW: J2EE is a little different from J2SE in the fact that you dont really have a proper JDK for it. Usually you will just be using the J2SE JDK + the runtime library's of the servlet container you plan to deploy too (E.g. The jars within Tomcat that provide the J2EE type functionality).

It is best for you to first start J2EE development with a working setup (NetBeans) and then over time you can slowly learn how its all put together.
    Last edited by tinny; August 3rd, 2008 at 10:58 AM.

Beans

I've had this same problem. I've tried to run this installation file as a super user "sudo *.bin", but when I've run this file as a normal user, everything was ok.

Beans

Just listen to tinny and get Netbeans instead (it's the only sane J2EE development environment IMO and works great). You will be developing against the application server, not some stuff you download separately from Sun.
    LambdaGrok. | #ubuntu-programming on FreeNode

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast