Page 17 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Desktop Hardware Incompatibility List.

Beans

Re: ACPI: DMI BIOS year==0, assuming ACPI-capable machine

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosAtaide View Post
    Hi everyone!

I've been using Ubuntu for some time now and have been really happy with it! But I can't install Gutsy. Every variant of the 7.10 Ubuntu I can't install it.

ACPI: DMI BIOS year==0, assuming ACPI-capable machine

This is the error displayed, and after that the Live CD won't do anything. It looks like it's loading but after some time, it starts to display some errors. I have tried with:
    Ubuntu 7.10
    Xubuntu 7.10
    Fluxbuntu 7.10
    gOS (based on Ubuntu 7.10)

I have once attempted to do a roundabout of this by upgrading to 7.10 with the Internet updates, but the result is the same. The installer was successful, but I wouldn't start Ubuntu.
    However, If in the GRUB boot options I'd choose the earlier version of Ubuntu (Feisty) then it would start normally with no problems.

On Edgy, and Feisty I have never encountered any problems of this sort. Can anyone help me with this?

I have already disabled ACPI in the BIOS but it made no difference.

Pentium III (Katmai) 550Mhz
    MBoard: VT82c
    i think it has something to do with the newer kernel in 7.10. i have no idea what though.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Cop View Post
    You know you have a Pentium III CPU right? How old is your computer? I know I'm not that techy with Ubuntu yet, but I know even the most ressource efficient OS's need some power under the hood...
    i have a dfi nforce 4 ultra-d board with a amd 64 x2 4200 and im getting that error. so age has nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by dbcalo; December 5th, 2007 at 06:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Desktop Hardware Incompatibility List.

pentium d 3.2ghz@3.5 ghz
    asrock 4coredual-sata2
    X1950pro 512mb AGP
    2gb ram ddr2

can't use any visual effects for the desktop, everything becomes choppy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Cool Re: ACPI: DMI BIOS year==0, assuming ACPI-capable machine

This post could be related to an Ubuntu bug filed at: http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/164779
    ----------------------------

This post could be related to an Ubuntu bug filed at: http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/164779
    ----------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Cop View Post
    You know you have a Pentium III CPU right? How old is your computer? I know I'm not that techy with Ubuntu yet, but I know even the most ressource efficient OS's need some power under the hood...
    My computer is very old! Pentium III says it all, but still I can run Ubuntu + Gnome + Desktop widgets just fine. Or I can just run Fluxbox without any eye candy and get out all the power under the hood.
    My problem isn't that, my problem is this bug with the linux kernel 2.6.22 that won't boot in my pc. Sadly, no fix for it yet =/

Beans

Linksys Ralink WUSB54GR USB Wireless Card
    Rt73 Based
    Quite tempermental, work for an hour, then stop. Requires you to unplug the card, then plug it back it for it to carry on working.

Gutsy Gibbon.
    -[Discipline] - Macbook Pro 5,3 - Intel Core2Duo 2.66Ghz, 4Gb RAM, Nvidia 9400M + 9600GT, 320Gb HDD, Mac OSX 10.7.1 Lion
    -Windows free since May 2007.

Beans

LG L1900R LCD monitor - wrong placement

Using the Ubuntu Feisty live cd.

Type Of Hardware:
    LCD monitor

Hardware Maker:
    http://www.lge.com/

Hardware Model:
    LG L1900R

Known Issue:
    The image placement is incorrect. Specifically, the left side of the desktop is trimmed and I see a black vertical bar at the right side. In Windows this would be corrected with the proprietary software but LG doesn't seem to have a Linux version of it.

Here are the monitor specs:
    http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/l1900r.jhtml

Note this didn't happen to me with an old ubuntu 5.04 live cd I had lying around. Strange!

Beans

hp 6715b laptop :

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../12686_na.HTML

gutsy has problems with : wireless/fingerprint sensor/graphically/bios/ etc.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Having issues with the below in Gutsy Gibbon on My Dell Inspiron 1420N

1)Having issues getting Gutsy detect the integrated bluetooth module.
    2)Sound recording is not possible as the microphone has issues ,which Dell site also mentioned and the status of this issue on the Launchpad is still PENDING.
    Ubuntu 9.04(i386)@Inspiron1420
    Ubuntu 9.04 Server(amd64)@Gateway DX4200
    Ubuntu 10.04/Windows 7(amd64)@Gateway NVU53
    RHCE,SCSA,HP CSA

Beans

Asus M2A-VM HDMI / AMD Athlon X2 4400+ / 2 gig DDR2

I am in the process of building an HTPC, and was attempting to use the LinuxMCE, which is based on Kubuntu 7.4. The core of this system is an Asus M2A-VM HDMI motherboard with an AMD Athlon X2 4400+ 64bit CPU and 2 gig DDR2 RAM. All of the Ubuntu variants listed below are referring to AMD 64bit CPU compatible versions.

The initial attempt to load the LinuxMCE distribution got hung on the point where live CD gets to "loading/booting/something at /etc/rc.local and the system just hangs. I also tried Mythbuntu with the same result and Ubuntu 7.10, straight (no weird MCE stuff); same problem. I also tried loading several other OSs such as Fedora 8, DSL-Linux, and straight up Debian Sarge. Nothing would install from any of those either.

The shipped BIOS version was 0502, and I flashed the latest BIOS, 1603, and repeated the same sequence of operating systems as above. None of the Ubuntu variants would take, and all of them hung at the same spot: loading /etc/rc.local. I did eventually get Fedora Core 8 installed without a single hiccup.

I have installed all of these OS (barring the MCEs) at one time and currently run most of them on various machines in my house, including an openMosix based cluster in my basement (recodes mps to flac like and renders vid like crazy). I have never had this much trouble installing an operating system on a piece of hardware EVER. It is doubly sad, because of all these systems, I enjoy using the Gutsy Gibbon machine over all the rest. Run away from this board as if a horde of pirates was at your stern. (It does run Fedora 8 hella fast though, but the frustration is not worth it.)
    Last edited by Blake Morgan; December 29th, 2007 at 02:45 AM. Reason: added detail re: 64bit OS

Beans

My PNY Nvidia 7300gs gives a very low fps on glxgears, *and games* there are scattered threads across the web about this issue, I have a thread here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=651674&page=2 my average fps is about 1500 in glxgears
    AMD Athlon 64 4000+ X2 AM2 -- 1GB DDR 2 RAM -- 80GB WD Hard drive -- 500W PSU -- Nvidia 7300GS -- Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 64 Bit --

Beans

1)Type Of Hardware
    2)Hardware Maker
    3)Hardware Model
    4)Known Issue

1) Video Card
    2) Radeon
    3) Radeon 9600
    4) If you use the restricted ATI driver this works fine until you change the resolution and then (no matter what you do, even return the resolution to what it was) you get lock up / re-boots after a number of minutes use. Disabling the restricted driver allows stable use of this AGP video card.

Page 17 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast