Page 71 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

Beans

Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

HP Pavilion dm3-2010us thin and light laptop
    AMD Athlon II Neo Dual Core Processor K325
    320 GB hard drive
    4GB DDR3 SDRAM

Installed ubuntu 10.04 (64-bit) in dual-boot configuration with Windows 7 (64-bit Home Premium). I used the Windows partition editor to shrink the Windows partition and deleted the HPTOOLS partition (contents saved in Windows). Smallest size Windows would allow was about 150 GB. That left about the same amount of space for ubuntu. After that installation was straightforward.

I added a Logitech laser mouse and Samsung USB DVD drive (shared w/netbook).

Most everything works--minor problem with touch pad not turning off (seen in other HPs).

This is a nice and fast laptop--starts up and shuts down about twice as fast as Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

1. Ubuntu 10.10 Alpha 3
    2. Intel Celeron D 335 / 2.8 GHz, 256 MB, 1 x 80 GB - standard - ATA-100 - 7200 rpm, AC '97.
    3. HP/Compaq
    4. SR1411NX

Yes, this was very slow with Windows but not too fast with Ubuntu. There are no drivers for the integrated graphics so don't bother searching for them. I know they don't exist. The OS freezes and at around 30-50 min., it just shows some weird images and stays like that until you force to shut it down. It now has 1GB RAM and I took off the PCI modem and card reader to conserve more power and it also helped in Windows 7 to stop showing me the safely remove hardware dialog for the faulty drivers. The fan gets out of control when the PC is idle. Other than that, the system boots quite fast.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

IBM ThinkCenter

Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx
    Pentium 4 @ 3.2 GHz
    Integrated GPU 64mb shared from system
    1GB of system ram
    160GB
    Optical Drive (DVD+_R-R/W - CD R-R/W)
    TrendNet Wifi card (802.11 b/g)
    Last edited by Tycho59; August 24th, 2010 at 06:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

HP Pavilion 6730

Xubuntu 10.04 LTS
    Intel Celeron @ 600Mhz
    256mb RAM
    40GB IDE Hard Drive
    Standard PCI Ethernet Card

Had to use Alternate Install CD, But runs great (compared to XP on the same computer). Recommend using IceWM as Desktop Environment.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

ASUS P5N-EM HDMI
    Celeron DC E1200
    3 GB DDR2-800 (2 GBx1/1 GBx1)
    WDAC5000AAVS 500 GB primary/Maxtor 6LS200 200 GB secondary (both SATA)
    Visiontek AMD HD5450 PCIe graphics card (512 MB GDDR3)
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer (PCI)
    Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 6000 V.3 USB keyboard/Logitech V220 Cordless USB mouse
    nVidia MCP73 gigabit Ethernet (primary)/SMC USB wireless-G Ethernet (secondary)
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate (primary)/Kubuntu 10.10 x64 Maverick Meerkat 20100908 daily (secondary)

Only problem is that closed-source AMD drivers do not work with Xorg 1.9 (known issue); I'm using open-source drivers from xorg-edgers PPA (very fast 2D). All hardware is otherwise fully supported with full function.

Beans

Older computer:

Gigabyte K8NF-9 mobo
    AMD64 Venice core 3200 @2.0 ghz
    1 gig Patriot DDR-400
    WD 100 gig HD
    Nvidia 6200 turbo-cache running dual monitors on latest drivers from repository (260 series)
    Samsung CD/DVD
    Dual boot XP Pro/Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Really zero problems installing or running, only had to apply workarounds for Avast install and getting the Plymouth boot splash to use alternate screen/splash pic. The ******* partition is easily mounted and read by Ubuntu, and I can move files around and modify freely.

Only Issue: Foobar 2000 works in Wine, but it won't import my whole library (several formats involved) and the sound is fuzzy, very sad, would like to see Foobar make a linux version.

Beans

Greetings... My first post! I've checked numerous posts before buying an external hard drive and it seemed complicated. Just wanted to tell you that I just bought a Seagate FreeAgent drive and it works fine. Plug and Play.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Dell Studio XPS 435MT

CPU: Intel core i7-920
    6 GB's of DDR3 1066 RAM
    640 GB Western Digital Blue HD
    ATI Radeon 3650 256 MB video
    Sony Optiarc DVD burner

I added: Samsung DVD Burner
    I added: 1 TB Seagate HD

As for the rest of the motherboard specifics, chipset, sound, NIC and whatnot- I'm not sure as this is a pre-assembled machine.

Everything is working out of the box. I have had no issues at all. As for the ATI Radeon, I thought I would have a problem, but so far I've had none. I am using the open source driver, I have not tried to install the proprietary one.

I also am using an HP Officejet 6500 all-in-one usb printer, which is working well. This did NOT work OOB. I had to install CUPS, and pretty much much everything that said "HPLIP" that I could find in synaptic. After that it's all good.

The printer is also working great with my 2 Karmic 9.04 systems as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Wink Epson TX300F

Epson TX300F inkjet printer scanner all in one
    Installed on Ubuntu 9.10 64bit

I posted a HOW TO here

the printer prints... he he but as far as I have tried till now if you select monochrome printing from the options the printing goes out of scale.

also the scanner works after the installation of Iscan and now also Xsane picks out the scanner.

with Iscan I can use also the Automatic Document Feeder
    Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit -> transitioning to 20.04

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS on Compaq Presario V3702AU

Hi,

I need to install Compiz and emerald to get the 3D Desktop. Could you please send me the link for hte same...and also the instructions on how to install the same

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
    I have a vista home basic enabled laptop which was corrupted by the virtumonde virus and i couldnt get it to bootup. So i decided to install linux. I took a iso file of ubuntu 8.04 LTS to my friends XP machine and created a bootable Live USB using unetbootin. Install went perfectly, no hickups.This is my first linux install on a real computer and so far, i am amazed at how simple it is. Being from a windows background made me think i would have to deal with cryptic command lines and still not get anything working. But letme tell you, it all freaking works right out of the box. Here's my configuration

Compaq Presario V3702AU Laptop

AMD Turion 64 X2, 1.9GHz
    1 x 1GB, DDR2-667 Samsung
    160 GB, 4200 rpm HDD Western Digital
    Nvidia Geforce 7150M GS graphics card (287 MB shared RAM)
    Nvidia MCP67M Chipset (Nforce 630M)
    Integrated WLAN 802.11b/g Broadcom
    Connexant HD Audio
    SD Card Reader
    Built In webcam 1.3 Mpixel

Installation took 15 minutes + 1.5 hrs to download/install updates. Then it prompted me to download and install propriotory drivers for wlan and gfx which i did and they work smooth. Then i installed compiz+emerald for 3d desktop.

I got the following hardware up and running out of box.
    Audio, SD card reader, Webcam, Bluetooth, Volume up/down/mute buttons, Media player buttons play/pause/next/prev etc, Brightness up/down, hibernate button, inbuilt and external microphones, all led indicator lights.

Yet to check out the following:
    External monitor, PCI-express slot, firewire, s- video port, quick launch button, HDSOFT Data/Audio modem

I hope this helps other Compaq V3702X users out there who want to migrate to Linux.

Regards,
    Skygazer

Page 71 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast