Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac Aluminum USB keyboard issue on 22.04

Beans

Mac Aluminum USB keyboard issue on 22.04

Hello, there has been a similar threads before, but I tried the solutions and failed to fix the problem.

I'm using ubuntu 22.04 on an iMac 2013 and everything else works fine.

Basically, I have a couple of keys that are not responding as they should. The <> and #@ keys are sort of switched!

The keyboard has a standard French Mac kayout. I have a couple of keyboards like this, one USB and the other bluetooth featuring the exact same layouts.

When I boot MacOS it is fine, but when I boot ubuntu The <> key outputs @# and vice versa. That's rather annoying obviously as those keys are used quite a lot...

I'm sure there are ways to customise the layout and/or create an alternative Keyboard type that is working.

Most of the threads I read were rather old, often refering to X11, some saying that issue had been fixed in a later ubuntu version.

I found some references to input-remapper and I tried version 1.4 but perhaps I didn't get how it is supposed to work, but it changed nothing at all. I pushed my luck to try input-remapper 2.0 but it failed to install properly and didn't work either.

Is there a solution? There must be a generic way to reasign keys.

Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Mac Aluminum USB keyboard issue on 22.04

If you use X11, you can manually setup the keymap for your needs. https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.6/d...KB-Config.html
    I don't know how Wayland supports this or if they do at all. By this stage, I'd expect Wayland to have a great answer. A quick google says that Wayland uses XKB too.

A 2023 answer says this:
    If you want to remap your keyboard keys or mouse buttons to certain keys, use "Input Remapper" by sezanzeb. It's VERY simple, it has a GUI, and it just WORKS. I just have set a certain shortcut to simulate a keyboard key, works well.
    https://github.com/sezanzeb/input-remapper

Or just press the delete key to get started. Ok, that's a joke. Mac's don't have a delete key. I had the same issue on a chromebook. Very, very, frustrating.

Beans

How stupid of me to try and use a keyboard that looks good and should work like any other 'listed' keyboard.

Well, I have seen this input-remapper link, but there are different versions, the latest not installing properly on 22.04 and I can't get it to work. It is so 'Simple' to use that it confuses me!

I must be quite thick in the head... But thanks for trying to help me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

When I look in Settings -> Keyboard (in 22.04) it lists "French (Macintosh)" as one of the (very many) listed sources. That is, a standard layout. I wouldn't think that remapping should be at all necessary. Have you tried that setting? I'm guessing that you have, but you don't say so explicitly.
    Last edited by coffeecat; February 10th, 2024 at 11:08 PM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Yep, you're right, I didn't explicitly say it, but it is "Français (Macintoch)".

I found an article mentionning /usr/share/X11/xkb/keycodes/macintosh

And tried applying their solution, but it doesn't look like it works.

When I run setxkbmap -query -v 10

I get this:

Setting verbose level to 10locale is C
    Trying to load rules file ./rules/evdev...
    Trying to load rules file /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev...
    Success.
    Applied rules from evdev:
    rules: evdev
    model: pc105
    layout: us
    Trying to build keymap using the following components:
    keycodes: evdev+aliases(qwerty)
    types: complete
    compat: complete
    symbols: pc+us+inet(evdev)
    geometry: pc(pc105)
    layout: us
    And it leads me to think it's not relevant here, is it?

Everything else on the keyboard matches perfectly!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jt4u View Post
    How stupid of me to try and use a keyboard that looks good and should work like any other 'listed' keyboard.
    It was a joke. People are free to like any keyboard that want. 100% personal choice. Whatever works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jt4u View Post
    Well, I have seen this input-remapper link, but there are different versions, the latest not installing properly on 22.04 and I can't get it to work. It is so 'Simple' to use that it confuses me!

I must be quite thick in the head... But thanks for trying to help me.
    Well, in 22.04, input-remapper is in the "Universe" repo from Canonical, so if you need to enable that, do so and run
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install input-remapper
    The instructions in the link seem to gloss over that easy method, which is unfortunate. I didn't write them. Looks like a developer did. Developers aren't known of creating good documentation or how-to guides. They get fixated on what they think is most important and often forget that 90+% of the world doesn't think like they do.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    It was a joke. People are free to like any keyboard that want. 100% personal choice. Whatever works for you.

Well, in 22.04, input-remapper is in the "Universe" repo from Canonical, so if you need to enable that, do so and run
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install input-remapper
    The instructions in the link seem to gloss over that easy method, which is unfortunate. I didn't write them. Looks like a developer did. Developers aren't known of creating good documentation or how-to guides. They get fixated on what they think is most important and often forget that 90+% of the world doesn't think like they do.
    I re-installed input-remapper (1.4 as in the universe repository for 22.04) but it still doesn't make sense to me. And the fact the developer has completely changed the design apparently for 2.0 is an indication that it wasn't clear...

Anyway, this must be a known issue. I've seen several references to this over the years.

I'm now trying to boot up my old McBook Air from 2011 and see if it shows the same issue. The key arrangement is basically the same, at least for those @#<> keys .

So, it looks like 23.10 has it right! That was the only usb key I had handy.

Beans

Now from the Macbook Air, when I run:

setxkbmap -query -v 10
    Setting verbose level to 10
    locale is C
    Success.
    layout: fr,us
    variant: mac,
    keycodes: evdev+aliases(azerty)
    types: complete
    symbols: pc+fr(mac)+us:2+inet(evdev)
    layout: fr,us
    variant: mac,
    So it looks somewhat different, as it refers to variant: mac, and I don't have that on the iMac!

I don't know how to fix this!

Beans

But there may be a good reason for this:

# System Details Report
    ---

## Report details
    - **Date generated:** 2024-02-11 17:47:34

## Hardware Information:
    - **Hardware Model:** (null)
    - **Memory:** 32.0 GiB
    - **Processor:** Intel® Core™ i7-4771 × 8
    - **Graphics:** NVE4
    - **Disk Capacity:** 1.1 TB

## Software Information:
    - **Firmware Version:** 433.140.2.0.0
    - **OS Name:** Ubuntu 23.10
    - **OS Build:** (null)
    - **OS Type:** 64-bit
    - **GNOME Version:** 45.0
    - **Windowing System:** X11
    - **Kernel Version:** Linux 6.5.0-9-generic
    The windowing system reported when booting on a USB key to try ubuntu is X11

The above report is from my iMac and when booting live it's fine! @#<> are where they are supposed to be. So looks like it is a difference between Wayland and X11 as I suspect from the start.

Let me reboot normally again... And then I will try to deactivate Wayland for a confirmation...

Beans

Very confusing! Restarted under X11 to check and it didn't work either. But I had implemented a 'fix' that keeps showing while I removed/reversed it:

setxkbmap -query -v 10Setting verbose level to 10
    locale is C
    Success.
    layout: fr,fr
    variant: mac,oss
    options: apple:badmap,numpad:mac
    keycodes: evdev+aliases(azerty)
    types: complete+numpad(mac)
    symbols: pc+fr(mac)+fr(oss):2+inet(evdev)
    layout: fr,fr
    variant: mac,oss
    options: apple:badmap,numpad:mac

The options: apple:badmapshould no longer exist...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast