Page 90 of 95 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast

Thread: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

I have recently moved to an Acer AXC-605-UR2B, where I am running ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-bit
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz × 4
    Memory: 3.7 GiB (nominal 4 GiB)
    Graphics: Intel® Haswell Desktop

The UPC of this unit was: 8 87899 77823 0 I ordered it from Newegg.com.

I purchased this particular PC because it ships with Windows 7 installed. I am trying to wean myself off Windows, but still use it for some things. I want nothing to do with Windows 8.

This PC has a small case, but still includes an optical drive. It came with a 1 TB hard drive installed. Should I ever want more memory, there is a slot left for expansion.

I had expected the PC to come with UEFI and a GPT partition table. In preparation, I studied up on ubuntu dual-boot installs under UEFI. To my surprise, this PC was set up the old-fashioned way. It boots Windows 7 in the old legacy BIOS mode, does not use Secure Boot (I believe that one is only on Windows 8 anyway), and has the MBR partitioning. That made the ubuntu install easier than I anticipated.

There were 3 partitions on the drive already. Therefore, I had only 1 partition left to add (under MBR rules). That meant I couldn't add a linux swap partition. Using a procedure I found in the https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq , I created a 9 GB swap file in my Linux partition.

So far, this PC is working very well. I recommend it to anyone shopping for a new, small case desktop for ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Irrationalis View Post
    Running an old iMac (2006) with Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS:
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 @ 1.83GHz
    Memory: 2GB
    Graphics: Intel GMA 950
    Ethernet: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Full Gigabit working with built in drivers, WOL even works )

Everything is running smoothly, Plex and CUPS are both working perfectly.
    There's no Laptop Hardware Compatibility List parallel thread to this one, so I'll post here.
    I have an Acer Aspire 5630-6288 that I bought in 2006 which came with Vista and I upgraded to Windows 7. It runs like a dog, so I was thinking of wiping it and installing the latest Ubuntu desktop version (14.04). It is similar spec to your 2006 iMac. It has an Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 @ 1.66 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 160 MB Hard Drive, and Intel GMA 950 GPU. I hope it will run as well as your iMac.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Post Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

Quote Originally Posted by HDTimeshifter View Post
    There's no Laptop Hardware Compatibility List parallel thread to this one, so I'll post here.
    I have an Acer Aspire 5630-6288 that I bought in 2006 which came with Vista and I upgraded to Windows 7. It runs like a dog, so I was thinking of wiping it and installing the latest Ubuntu desktop version (14.04). It is similar spec to your 2006 iMac. It has an Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 @ 1.66 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 160 MB Hard Drive, and Intel GMA 950 GPU. I hope it will run as well as your iMac.
    Hi HDTimeshifter

There is one.

Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1543006
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008
    GNU/Linux User #470660 – Ubuntu User #28226
    Isaac Asimov: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Rytron View Post
    Thanks - don't know why a search on "laptop" didn't turn it up on the first results page as the last post was not that old. But I didn't find any Acers in that thread with specs similar to mine, so hoping I won't have problems since that iMac is spec'd so closely to my laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Wink Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

Quote Originally Posted by HDTimeshifter View Post
    Thanks ...
    You're welcome.
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008
    GNU/Linux User #470660 – Ubuntu User #28226
    Isaac Asimov: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Beans

Ubuntu 15.04

Alienware Alpha i3 base model

cpu: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i3-4130T
    ram: 4 GB
    video card: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 860M] (rev a2)

Everything Works smoothly installed Nvidia drivers without a problem only issue i had was wifi not working while bluetooth was enabled. however updating to newest kernel fixed this issue. Setup for anyone with an alpha was as plainless as it comes. Clean install, install nvidia drivers from ubuntu additional drivers reboot and done.

only feature that does not work is the hdmi in passthrough which only seems to work from the alpha ui in windows at the moment of this post. I wanted to add this on here since there wasn't much info on ubuntu running on the alpha when i got mine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Successful 32-bit Ubuntu Studio v14.04.3 LTS (long-term supported version, successful KXstudio repositories installed on top too):

Computer: HP ENVY 750-116; AMD ~3 GHz quad core; 12 GB RAM; ATI Radeon GPU
    Monitor: HP W2082a; 20 inch LED; sVGA
    Keyboard: Logitech K120 (Linux-compatible); USB
    Mouse: Logitech M100 (Linux-compatible); USB

Audio Interface: Alesis M1Active 320 USB Monitors / Audio Interface; (USB Class Compliant; no drivers needed!)
    MIDI Controller: Alesis Q25; 25-Key synth action MIDI keyboard; (USB Class Compliant; no drivers needed!)

Approximately how success was attained (not an exact history but close)...

1) Plugged in all the hardware, including my audio gear (so it would be recognized by default!) and did NOT use the wifi keyboard and mouse that came with the computer.
    2) Powered on the computer and pressed ESC several times until the setup menu came up
    3) Disabled Secure Boot in order to enable Legacy Mode in order to enable BIOS and hardware Boot Order Options; (several restarts required for settings to be implented via UEFI initital screen)
    4) Enabled CD-ROM boot and booted up using the suggested key (I think it was F9 if I remember correctly) to select the CD-ROM instead of the SATA hard drive
    5) Powered on using 32-bit Ubuntu Studio v14.04.3 LTS from DVD-R burned at 10x speed using K3B disc burner from an .ISO; chose the option to boot without installing; boot up successful!
    6) Formatted/erased the hard drive using gParted from the System menu:

First partition: 4 GB SWAP area; enabled swapon
    Second partition: 960 GB formatted as ext3; (extra space reserved/left for other future optional linux os installs)

7) Rebooted from DVD-ROM using the Try Ubuntu Studio Without Installing menu choice.
    8) Clicked the Install Ubuntu Studio icon on the desktop to run the installation; chose to do "Something Else" instead of erasing the whole drive (default)
    9) Performed the installation off-line without accessing the internet. This was to prevent a documented corrupt install bug.
    10) Successfully rebooted into Ubuntu Studio with full hardware recognition and started configuring the sound mixer/volume controls; then continued configuring mouse and keyboard and all Ubuntu settings
    11) Created folders and transferred my archived files from a previous installation from USB stick, starting with documentation files; installed the FireFox MAFF plugin so I could read my .MHT documentation
    12) Entered my wifi log-in info and started updates and downloads and online installs. I disabled Pre-Releases and UnSupported Ubuntu Sources to maintain stability.
    13) Continued configuration and setup and downloads and their configurations; updated the panels with launcher icons; set program associations for filetypes; edited my PulseAudio prefs to match my USB interface
    14) Gradually implemented DAW performance optimizations such as ",noatime" in fstab (disable file access logging); disabled unneeded services
    15) Installed current Wine and WineGecko following downloaded and internet documentation from WineHQ.com; re-downloaded updated WineGecko and moved it to the correct folder following WineHQ infos
    16) Created a launcher for winecfg (Wine Configuration); (Wine stuff is located in "/opt" but it launches as normal; no need to remap launchers).
    17) Configured Wine
    18) Installed, tested, and configured Windows programs
    19) Created panel launchers for Windows programs
    20) Installed the KX Studio repositories following the instructions on the KX Studio website; installed a few more programs off the internet; Checked installation integrity for mistakes (none really!); kept everything upgraded; I did NOT install any KX Studio repositories for Lucid since this is Trusty Tahr! Removed the Lucid PPA entries from the Software Updater preferences.
    21) Installed backed up FireFox addons from previous installation and upgraded them to newer versions; backed up FireFox configuration with FEBE addon and some addon prefs exports
    22) Finished configuring FireFox addons and preferences; backed up FireFox configuration again with FEBE and some addon prefs exports
    23) Continued restoring old Reaper and EnergyXT projects from backups; fixed some buggy Image-Line FL Studio plugin/registry issues; upgraded FL Studio plugins
    24) Transferred my media library (FLACs, MP3s, and M4As) onto the hard drive via USB backup
    25) Updated DeadBeef Portable with my media library folders and backed up DeadBeef

Started enjoying my setup!
    Everything is running as expected; no incompatibilities or crashes.

The only thing that's a disappointment is FL Studio still doesn't run as well as I'd like.
    I think the problem is that it can only use one CPU core; I don't think multicore support works for that.

But 32-bit Windows EnergyXT v3 beta sees all the CPU cores and runs fine.
    And 32-bit Reaper v5.1 runs fine. I had restored my previous configuration from backups, and tweaked it to match the new monitor size.

Minor Issues: There's not much documentation about the HP ENVY 750-116 (made for OfficeDepot) on the HP website. You have to just look up ENVY 750 and find the closest info. There are other versions of that computer with different CPU manufacturer (Intel instead of AMD).

On first computer boot up, it showed a Windows 10 installation error from within Windows 10, it's default installed operating system.
    This is not a problem if you have a boot CD-ROM or DVD-ROM with gParted on it. Just erase the entire hard drive and create a system partition with ext3 after you make your SWAP partition.
    The other advantage of this is LVM will not be installed, and the SWAP partition won't be within an extended partition.

Because of the BIOS / UEFI steps described above, you can create an MBR partition table first, instead of a GPT one. BIOS / Legacy Mode requires an MS-DOS MBR (master boot record). gParted can do this.
    The downside is that MBR can only create a maximum of 4 partitions, including the SWAP one. Just be aware of this and everything will be fine.

Considerations...

The install went pretty OK with me because I have intermediate Linux experience. I have installed Ubuntu Studio Linux in the past as well as other versions of Linux such as Puppy Linux, WattOS, and Lubuntu.
    http://distrowatch.org and this site were very helpful. Also linuxaudio.org (?) or is it audiolinux.org (?) has some outdated but helpful info which is still valid on how to disable services on Ubuntu using .override files.

When I chose the computer, I specifically avoided any computers with nVidia video/graphics hardware since it can be incompatible. The HP ENVY model I have has an ATI Radeon video/graphics hardware and ATI hardware is usally well-supported on Linux distributions.

I also chose to disable Bluetooth since it can interfere with DAW computer performance. That's why I didn't use the provided wifi keyboard and mouse that came with the computer.
    I haven't even tried to install them at all. I will probably sell them.

At first I thought my monitor colors were off, but it turned out that the colors are more precise and exact than my old laptop's colors. There is actually a wider range of colors on the new monitor, so I see colors I had never noticed before. In particular, neon greenish-yellow is noticeable now within anything yellow. Since not all digital cameras take accurate color photos, some of the older photos might look slightly wierd. But newer camera photos done on a good camera without any aesthetic color filterings look alright.

The monitor actually didn't require any configurations at all! All of it's defaults are just fine.

Summary: 2016 is looking like it will be a great year with this Ubuntu Studio DAW computer. Starting January 1st Iwill no longer have direct internet access; it will be run entirely offline, and everything is running good without internet access. So I am thankful that I got everthing installed, configured, and running. The backups helped a lot.

If you end up seeking this computer, you can get from BestBuy or OfficeMax or OfficeDepot.
    May Peace Prevail for Life in all Realms of Creation --Masahisa Goi

Beans

PNY NVIDIA Quadro K1200 - ( VCQK1200DP-PB) Video Card working on Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

This card did not work right out of the box, I had to install nvidia-352 to get it to work. I have 3 screens (2K) attached via display port dp. With Nvidia-352 drivers randomly screens would start blinking on and off. Maybe after an hour of uptime, every 5 seconds one would go totally blank for 1 second, and then come back. Over and over again. I upgraded the Nvidia driver to 358 and now everything works great for a few weeks now. I use compiz and lots of 3D graphics that work well now.

Kernel Linux 4.2.0-27-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 22 04:49:08 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

dpkg -l | grep nvidia-358
    ii nvidia-358 358.16-0ubuntu0~gpu15.10.2 amd64 NVIDIA binary driver - version 358.16

I had to install with alternate / minimal iso and after install before reboot select install openssh server. After reboot, I had to ssh in and install the drivers. There's a newer version 361 but I have not tested it because 358 is working perfectly for me.

Beans

Hello there!
    Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, HP, 14-d036la
    Works perfectly except that is more warmer than windows and touchpad doesnt work pretty well.
    Cheers!

Beans

I have Ubuntu 15.10 and I want to install an ATI Radeon HD 3450 video card.

Is it compatible?

James

Page 90 of 95 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast