Page 73 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

Beans

Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

Quote Originally Posted by jasi View Post
    The purpose of this thread is for you, the user, to post what hardware/hardware combination works with Ubuntu for you. If you wish, you may post how the hardware works (configuration related), and the steps you took setting it up. These informations will help other users to choose new hardware and it will also help the UDSF archivers to update the Hardware Compatibility Guide.
    How about a link to the UDSF Hardware Compatibility Guide? I searched but could not find anything other than dead links dating back years.

Also... The particular search I'm involved in at the moment is desktop motherboards known to suspend/resume. If you're posting "everything works" please indicate if you've tried this and please give it a try!

many thanks,
    hank

Edit: I found the UDSF:https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UDSF

Searching for "hardware Compatibility Guide" gets me:
    Your search query "hardware Compatibility Guide" didn't return any results. Please change some terms and refer to HelpOnSearching for more information.
    Info (!) Consider performing a full-text search with your search terms.
    I did that and found lots of apparently obsolete references to laptop compatibility but no hint of an actual guide.
    Last edited by HankB; December 9th, 2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: additional info

Beans

I'm not covered by any embargo, and I bought these off a retail store... so

Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz
    MSI P67A-GD55 mainboard, Intel P67, Sata-6G. I used only the 3G ports, USB3 untested, no USB3 stuff lying around.
    4GB of cheap Kingston DDR3 RAM
    Intel 160GB G2 SSD
    ATI 5770

Works fine, works well so far. Networking works as expected.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Recent upgrade

Gigabyte MA785GA-US2H
    AMD AthlonII X2 240
    Nvidia GeForce 8400GS
    1 stick 2 GB crucial PC-6400 DRAM

Not a firebreathing gaming rig but it seems very stable and all the hardware seems to work properly. It suspends and resumes reliably. I had the Nvidia card and Nvidia has a good record with Ubuntu so I chose to not use the onboard ATI video. This replaced a 6 year old Gigabyte board whose SATA ports were occasionally uncooperative. I'll add a second identical stick of RAM soon so I can experiment with virtualization. The MoBo has 4 DRAM slots which doesn't seem common on MicroATX boards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I picked up a Lenovo H320-4041GU from Office Depot the other day, and I've been very impressed with it. Lots of features packed into a small, fast, powerful package. It's nice!

And what's even nicer is that installing Ubuntu Studio 10.10 (AMD64) went flawlessly. Sound and video "just worked" with a base install. The wireless card (Atheros AR928X, according to lspci) worked fine after I installed wicd. JACK worked without any tinkering, which was another major plus. Basically, everything works the way it's supposed to. I've been using the install for a few days and I haven't noticed any strange quirks or lacks of functionality.

Some things I haven't been able to test:

- The HDMI port
    - The multi-card reader

I had a hard time finding anything useful on the Internet about this particular model of computer, so I figured I'd mention it here. In sum, the Lenovo H320 appears to run Ubuntu 10.10 quite reliably.

Beans

Post Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

Ubuntu version: 6.06
    Type Of Hardware: USB Bluetooth Dongle
    Hardware Maker: MSI
    Hardware Model: BToes 2.0 EDR
    Thanks and check

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat
    Inkjet Printer
    HP
    Deskjet F2430

After switching from Windows Vista to Ubuntu 10.04 (now upgraded to 10.10 Maverick), I got the HPLIP Toolbox from the Ubuntu Software Center and actually got more functionality options for my printer than I had before with the HP OEM software, plus automatic updates through Synaptic Package Manager. Double plus ultra bonus!

Beans

I also have an e machine. It's a T3504 pretty much stock from Best buy 5 years ago.
    Desktop T3504
    seagate 100gb hdd
    2gb ram
    nvidia ge force 8400 gs 512mb
    cd rw drive+dvd rom.
    I tried to install a newer hard drive but doesn't seem to be recognized. I downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 and thinking of wiping out my windows xp home edition and replace it with the Ubuntu. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unhappy Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

My current configuration of my desktop is:
    motherboard: Intel HD55HC
    processor: Intel i5-750
    ram: 8Gib (4*2Gib modules, type: OCZ3G1333LV2G)

i'm running Maverick 64bit and i cannot get the whole 8Gib of ram to be utilized (lshw can see all 8Gib, the system utilizes only 4Gib).

The problem is also present if i try to use only two ram modules in dual channel mode, then the system utilizes only 2Gib, unless i set them so, that the modules are in single channel mode, than the system utilizes 4Gib.

Conclusion - "dual channel" does not work, maybe the second channel cannot be used.
    Last edited by [Snc]; January 10th, 2011 at 02:16 PM.

Beans

Laptop:
    Dell Latitude D820
    Ubuntu 7.10 - Gutsy
    Gnome 2.20

Intel Core 2 Duo T7200
    3 GB RAM
    160 GB SATA Laptop Drive (multi-boot with XP Pro SP2)

nVidia GeForce 7400 (worked after download of driver)

Intel Pro 3945 Wireless -worked out of the box!
    BroadCom BCM5752 Ethernet - Worked out of the box!

Intel 82801G Audio Controller - Alsa

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hardware: Logitech MK320 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse combo

Functionality: Plug and play; works straight out of the box. Most of the hotkeys (volume up/down/mute, calculator, mail, sleep) work as well. A few of the hotkeys (Internet, lock screen) do not, but that's just a matter of configuration, I'm sure.

Overall, I was very impressed! A good product made excellent by the fact that it plays so nicely with Linux.

Page 73 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast