Page 3 of 95 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibiliy List.

Feisty 7.04 (and previously Edgy)

Dell Dimension Desktop 8200

Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz
    256MB RDRAM
    Soundblaster Live!
    Benq 1620 DVD-RW
    nVidia Gefore 4 MX420

Everything's perfect!

Beans

Ubuntu 7.04 and Edgy

Thinkpad T40p
    1.6 GHz
    64 MB ATI Mobility Fire GL 9000
    Atherols Wireless Network adapter (Ubuntu says it's not supported, but it works without configuration)

Beans

6.10 Edgy Eft
    Wireless NIC
    Zonet
    ZEW1602
    Notes: Works with ndiswrapper. No native linux driver. Also works with wpa_supplicant.
    Works with ndiswrapper in 7.04 Feisty Fawn. Does not work with wpa_supplicant in 7.04 Feisty Fawn.

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibiliy List.

Hi, I have upgraded the latest Feisty 7.01 from Edgy in a Dell Optiplex GX150 with PIII and 256 MB ram...

It's very old PC but Ubuntu works pretty good.

[B]Please Only List
    1) Feisty
    2) PIII, 256 RAM
    3) Dell
    4) GX150

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Laptop: Toshiba A70
    Model number: PSA70C RX100E
    CPU: Pentium® 4 supporting Hyper-Threading 3.20 GHz
    Video: ATI 9100 IGP RS300M, 64MB-128MB shared memory
    Screen: 15.4 inch wide (aka short) screen, 1280X800
    Sound: ATI IXP AC97 / Realtek ACL202
    Modem: ATI IXP AC97 Modem
    Ethernet: Realtek RTL8101L
    Wireless: Atheros AR5212 802.11abg
    Firewire: Texas Instruments TSB43AB21
    Cardbus: ENE Technology CB-710/2/4
    RAM: 1.0Gb DDR
    DVD/CD: Matsushita DVD-RAM UJ-820S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM
    HDD: Samsung HM120JC ATA 5400rpm (replaced original Toshiba)
    Touchpad: AlpsPS/2 GlidePoint

I have not tested / used:
    - the Firewire or Cardbus capabilities;
    - suspend/resume capabilities;
    - the modem.

Both sound and wireless worked fine right from the install with 6.06, 6.10, and 7.04. I recall having some difficulties with wireless in 5.10, but can't recall what they were. Also, in 6.10 it was difficult to connect to a new wireless service.

The graphics card is not well-supported by the proprietary ATI drivers, so I use the Radeon free driver. This seems reasonably fast - glxgears gives ~ 660 fps with no tuning. Compiz works fine, except that there seems to be a known bug involving the interaction between Java 5 and Compiz - nothing shows up in Java windows with the desktop effects enabled. This is not a problem with the desktop effects disabled.

I had a huge problem, since 6.10, with the window system hanging, reported as bug #98999. In Feisty I noted a boot message about "8254 timer not connected", which seems to have been noted before, reported it as well. After inserting "noapic" in # defoptions in /boot/grub/menu.lst the hanging problem seems to be gone.

For my purposes, now that the hanging thing seems to be gone I really enjoy this laptop again - it was great in Breezy and Dapper too. The monitor is very bright, though 1280 X 800 is a bit too low-resolution for my taste, and the keyboard has a pleasant amount of feedback. I really disklike the touchpad, and use a nice USB optical mouse designed / imported by Chameleon. In terms of processing, the machine is very fast.
    C'est ma façon de parler.

Beans

Smile Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibiliy List.

Feisty 7.04
    Toshiba A100 Laptop
    Celeron M1.46
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200M
    Realtek AC97 sound
    Atheros AR5211 wireless
    Epson CX3810 All-in-one

Sound was down on startup so I did this:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils
    sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils gdm ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-minimal
    sudo rmmod snd-hda-intel
    sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel probe_mask=8 model=auto
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    and add "options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=8 model=auto" to the end of the file

Network Manager worked great, my Atheros wireless worked out of the gate with the ath0 driver Feisty installed. To get wep working I had to check my router settings to 'Open Key' not managed or otherwise.

Video is an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M and worked at 1280 on startup and after checking the box in the 'Restricted Drivers' box it was off to the 3d races, very nice.

Printer is an Epson CX3810 All-in-one. The built-in driver prints beautifully, but scanning was a challenge. So, I found http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/dl_scan.html for scanner drivers (printers too apparently). And did this to make it work:
    install sane libsane-backends then uninstall libsane-backends (weird yes, need pieces, but it then had trouble overwriting the backend driver, and this worked) *shrug*
    install iscan *.deb
    make menu item for iscan
    I love that scanner driver, it's beautiful, simple, and makes nice scans.

The Big One! Suspend-to-ram with the ATI fglrx drivers (your mileage may vary, I doubt I can help more, but here's how I did it)
    sudo gedit /etc/acpi/sleep.sh
    On second line put: sudo chvt 1
    sudo gedit /etc/acpi/lid.sh
    On second line put: sudo chvt 1
    sudo gedit /etc/acpi/resume.sh
    On last line put: sudo chvt 7
    sudo gedit /etc/default/acpi-support
    Edit lines thusly:
    MODULES_WHITELIST="fglrx"
    SAVE_VBE_STATE=false
    POST_VIDEO=false
    DOUBLE_CONSOLE_SWITCH=true

OK, I now have suspend working with AC plugged in, plus closing the lid works for suspend. But, on battery power it gets stuck going down to suspend, and comes to the locked screen and will not take keyboard input. But it does work!!
    Last edited by calgarystevens; April 28th, 2007 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Shortened it up a bit

Beans

Feisty 7.04
    Toshiba A135
    Intel Core Duo 1.7 GHz
    Intel 945 graphic Card
    1 GB RAM

The sound was down, I followed the step-by-step guide.
    It worked after this:
    sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, added "hda-intel" at the end of the file.

The wired network worked find. I have a static IP and I used a proxy server.
    Didn't test the WLAN yet.
    Didn't test the modem.

The suspend and hibernate options are working fine too.
    3D desktop working great

That's all I tested till now, I'm new a Linux user by the way.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Ubuntu: Feisty
    Hardware: Laptop
    Model: Inspiron 9400 (Centrino Duo - T2300, 1.66 GHz)
    Manufacturer: Dell

Main details: SATA disk, nVidia GeForce 7800 GO, Intel HDA STAC 92xx, Ricoh SD card reader, Intel/PRO Wireless 3945ABG.

Works like a charm.

Beans

Ubuntu 7.04

Toshiba Satellite M35X-S114
    Haven't tried modem
    Haven't tried burning cd's
    Everything else works, kudos to ubuntu team

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Lightbulb Sony Vaio VGN-FE41Z & Feisty

Sony Vaio VGN-FE41Z & Feisty/Gutsy/Hardy/Intrepid

Updated for Gutsy, Hardy, and Intrepid

I was pleased to find that Feisty supports all the hardware on this laptop without any hassles. There are issues with suspend and hibernate. Suspend/Resume will mostly work but sometimes isn't reliable. These can usually be traced back to a known bug with the uvcvideo driver. The solution is to have it unloaded before suspend. The way to so that is to add the module name to the MODULES="" setting in /etc/default/acpi-support, e.g
    Code:
    MODULES="iwl3945 uvcvideo r5u870"
    If using Compiz/Desktop Effects the Compiz option 'sync to vblank' should be disabled otherwise the Gnome desktop won't be displayed on resume. A bug in Feisty's 2.6.20 kernel will cause the HDA audio to loop and crackle after resume. This is caused by an overwrite of the HDA PCI register TCSEL when the 2nd core of the CPU is started. I have published a patch to fix this against the bug snd-hda-intel: distorted sound after resume, until the module is reloaded. I've found that more than one resume causes the screensaver to loose keyboard input, and any attempt to restart gdm leads to an Nvidia driver failure that requires a restart to fix. Gutsy, Hardy and Intrepid seem fine.

The alternative Fn-blue function keys are not currently supported by the sonypi module. It appears they are managed by the newer Sony Notebook Control ACPI device via the Embedded Controller (EC) hardware. This is being actively worked on - see the Calling All Vaio Owners thread for how you can help the new sony-laptop kernel driver support all the custom hardware options on Vaios: Programmable S1 S2 keys, Fn keys, radio power for WiFi and Bluetooth, power for LAN, Audio, Camera and CD, Screen brightness, contrast, and switching to external displays.

Vaio Gnome panel applet. I am writing an easy-to-use control applet that will allow users to easily configure all functions of the Sony Notebook Control, Sony PI, and EC. It is a multi-tabbed applet with controls grouped logically. It will ensure your preferences are saved and applied at startup.

The external ExpressCard/34 5-in-1 Flash card reader adapter works with SD cards. I've not had chance to test it with MMC, xD, or MemoryStick Pro. With SD cards there is sometimes a problem with older cards that are physically just slightly thicker than usual. This prevents the contacts from touching the pins in the adapter unless you put it under physical pressure which is not a workable solution, so ensure you're using thin cards.

The internal Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Flash card chip-set that is connected to the internal MemoryStick 2 slot is also recognised. However, the kernel modules to support MemoryStick or xD cards on the TI chip-set are in the early stages and not available unless you build them yourself. As on Intrepid the tifm and memstick modules will be available as they are in the mainline kernel. I'm working on an Ubuntu DKMS package to backport them to Hardy LTS.

The Nvidia proprietary drivers work fine driving both the DFT, as well as external VGA and S-Video displays. TwinView with the desktop spanning both displays works fine. With the NVIDIA X Server Settings utility (Applications -> System Tools) choose X Server Display configuration and then press Detect Displays. When the display appears in the Layout window choose it and then press Configure... and choose TwinView. After unplugging a display press Detect Displays again to return to a single screen.

I've tested the VGN-FE41Z with 32-bit and 64-bit Feisty/Gutsy/Hardy/Intrepid Desktop and found no problems due to Ubuntu.

Originally I kept the existing disk partitions (sda1=Sony Vista Recovery, sda2=Vista Home Premium) and added swap (2GB) partition in sda3, sda4 is an extended partition for sda5=/boot (256MB), sda6=/ (32-bit 9GB), sda7=/ (64-bit 9GB), sda8=/home. Now, I've removed Sony Vista Recovery, moved and shrunk Vista Home Premium, and put all but /boot in an encrypted LVM volume that requires a USB key to unlock (no password is assigned).

Note: The easy way to shrink the Vista partition is to use Vista itself. Unlike XP, Vista can shrink its own partitions! Go to Control Panel, System Administration, Disk Management, select the Vista partition, right-click, and choose Shrink. I made it 27GB.
    The only devices not supported immediately are the Intel High Definition Audio HSF V92 SoftModem and the built-in Motion Eye video camera. The camera has a Ricoh chip-set and Alex Hixon now maintains the r5u870 driver (originally by Sam Revitch). Project details can be found at R5U870 driver and Ubuntu packages for Gutsy/Hardy/Intrepid are [url="https://launchpad.net/~intuitivenipple/+archive"]available from my PPA[url].

Until you install the drivers you'd not notice the modem in Hardware Information at all. Linuxant have created proprietary drivers for the Intel HDA HSF V92 software modem. The driver is available as a $19.99 fully capable driver or a free 14,400 baud speed-limited version. The installation process was smooth (I used the automatic Internet installation method). The big drawback is it conflicts badly with the Intel HDA sound driver and generates a lot of spurious messages to the log files which show it is not entirely production-quality. I'd avoid it unless it is essential.

I have created a Gnome panel applet to control the Nvidia display brightness because it isn't supported by the default tools. You can get SmartDimmer here. Again, packages for Feisty/Gutsy/Hardy/Intrepid are [url="https://launchpad.net/~intuitivenipple/+archive"]available from my PPA[url].

The FE41Z has the Intel Core 2 Duo T7200, a CPU that supports VMX (Virtualisation). Unfortunately Sony do not provide a BIOS option to enable VMX and the BIOS locks the MSR register 0x3A, preventing other software from doing so. I'm hoping Sony will eventually provide the option but I'm also working on a BIOS hack so that VMX is available - it was a prime reason why I chose this model!

I finally managed to manually re-program the NV-RAM settings using a DOS utility called symcmos, once I'd identified which tokens to alter. Unfortunately these token locations change in different BIOS versions so there is no universal way to enable VMX across models and BIOSes. Details of my research.

During my snc module investigations I discovered an ACPI battery bug in the Differentiated System Description Table (DSDT) in the BIOSes of every Sony Vaio model we've seen so far. You can read about it here and find a fix for it in the thread ACPI: battery-technology reported as non-rechargeable.
    Last edited by IntuitiveNipple; August 5th, 2008 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Added information on MemoryStick slot and card-reader

Page 3 of 95 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast