Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surface Pro 3 Support

Beans

Surface Pro 3 Support

Hey all,

Figured I would kick off a Surface Pro 3 thread. Running an i5 128gb model with a type cover keyboard. So far the only issue preventing me form using Ubuntu as a daily driver is the lack of keyboard support for the type cover. The trackpad on the type cover works well, so that's a start.

I wonder if anyone knows how to modify the patch provided at http://linux-kernel.2935.n7.nabble.c...-td790242.html to support the new type cover.

Thanks for any help anyone provides, and I'll be looking into compiling my own kernel in the coming week. Good luck everyone!

Edit: Also thought I should note that I used the most recent patched kernel listed in this thread about type covers for the 1st and 2nd models (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...183946&page=13) with no luck.

Edit 2: Just installed a bunch of updates from my Windows partition. One of them overwrote my bootloader and I had to boot from my Ubuntu USB installer and run boot-repair to reinstall GRUB. I also noticed that the updates must have changed the firmware of the type cover: the trackpad has stopped working. Now only the pen or an external mouse will work as a pointing device.

Edit 3: Turns out I was wrong about the trackpad no longer working. It just seems to not work on some boots. More research required...
    Last edited by bowmessage; June 25th, 2014 at 07:16 AM.

Beans

Re: Surface Pro 3 Support

Hello, can you copy the output of lsusb with the keyboard on and off? Wait for a minute or reboot after removing the keyboard and before typing lsusb again.

Thank you.

Beans

I will definitely do that DiThi, thanks for your offer to help. I have already scraped the device ID and written the patch but I have had trouble building because my partition was too small to complete the build, resulting in loads of weirdness that occurs with a full hard drive. Lessons learned.

I will post the device ID as soon as possible. I have a busy day today so may have to be tomorrow. Thanks again.

Beans

Hi DiThi. Just got my lsusb dumps, thank you again for your help. Sorry I'm a kernel newb, I really appreciate the help.

[Type Cover 3 connected, as well as wireless keyboard / mouse dongle (0745)]
    me@me-Surface-Pro-3:~$ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 045e:07bf Microsoft Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 045e:07be Microsoft Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 045e:07dc Microsoft Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 045e:0745 Microsoft Corp. Nano Transceiver v1.0 for Bluetooth
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

[Type Cover 3 removed]
    me@me-Surface-Pro-3:~$ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 045e:07bf Microsoft Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 045e:07be Microsoft Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 045e:0745 Microsoft Corp. Nano Transceiver v1.0 for Bluetooth
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Hope this is enough info, looks like the type cover is 07dc. Thanks so much!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

So, this is the one:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 045e:07dc Microsoft Corp.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans

I just release a new patched Linux kernel version 3.13.0-30.54 for Surface Pro, tested and working on my Surface Pro 2 with Type Cover 2.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/v3...surfacepro.tgz

Built with patch: http://www.mediafire.com/download/2u...cepro2-fix.tgz

I would appreciate if any Surface Pro 3 could please test this kernel on their devices, and report back if it works or not, since I am not lucky enough yet to own one.

It would be best to combine all Surface Pro patches together, and have a single "patched" Linux kernel release for all Surface Pro versions and all covers.

Beans

I'll give it a go alicia, I already tried another kernel version for the SP2 with no luck, but I'll let you know! Thanks so much!

EDIT: running it currently. Unfortunately the type cover 3 is not working (well the trackpad still works, but no keyboard). Wifi seems different but still works, usually better and sometimes worse than running a normal kernel. Also, my CPU seems to get better utilized as I can switch workspaces much faster (normal kernel seems to have trouble with the high resolution). Watching the CPU temperatures, the fan duty cycles seem to better tuned and keep the surface cooler as well. Also, the 2nd button on the pen now works as middle click. Thanks alicia!
    Last edited by bowmessage; June 29th, 2014 at 05:53 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bowmessage View Post
    I'll give it a go alicia, I already tried another kernel version for the SP2 with no luck, but I'll let you know! Thanks so much!
    EDIT: running it currently. Unfortunately the type cover 3 is not working (well the trackpad still works, but no keyboard). Wifi seems different but still works, usually better and sometimes worse than running a normal kernel. Also, my CPU seems to get better utilized as I can switch workspaces much faster (normal kernel seems to have trouble with the high resolution). Watching the CPU temperatures, the fan duty cycles seem to better tuned and keep the surface cooler as well. Also, the 2nd button on the pen now works as middle click. Thanks alicia!
    Thank you for testing my modified kernel.

I just noticed that Type Cover 3 support was missing in the kernel. I have just added it to my Surface Pro patch, and built a new kernel.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ov...urfacepro3.tgz

Forgot to mention, that since the package name and version is the same, you will need to uninstall my previous kernel, if you previously installed it, before installing this new kernel!
    dpkg -r linux-cloud-tools-3.13.0-30-surfacepro linux-headers-3.13.0-30-surfacepro linux-image-3.13.0-30-surfacepro linux-tools-3.13.0-30-surfacepro

Please let me know if it works with your Type Cover 3. If anyone has a Touch Cover 3, and can do a "lsusb", and post the output, I will try to add support for it as well.

On a side note, I am working for unified support (with common kernel and patch) for all Surface Pro versions and accessories, so I think it makes sense to merge this thread into with the older established Surface Pro thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2183946.
    Last edited by alicia4542; June 29th, 2014 at 09:29 AM.

Beans

Wow!! That was so fast, thanks so much! It works! Unfortunately it's stopped the trackpad working, but it's definitely a huge step in the right direction. I'll post any of my future findings in that thread which you linked. Also might be headed to a Microsoft Store tomorrow, I'll see if I can grab a USB Device ID from a type cover if I can find one.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bowmessage View Post
    Wow!! That was so fast, thanks so much! It works! Unfortunately it's stopped the trackpad working, but it's definitely a huge step in the right direction. I'll post any of my future findings in that thread which you linked. Also might be headed to a Microsoft Store tomorrow, I'll see if I can grab a USB Device ID from a type cover if I can find one.
    Thank you for also quickly testing...

Hmm, so with this newer kernel, the type cover 3 keyboard works, but its trackpad does not work anymore. Sorry about that.

I will need to examine the source to see why, and get back to you.

To help troubleshoot, could you please run this command and post the output?
    dmesg | grep -i 045e

Please let me know if you find any other issues with the newer kernel.

I will be happy to post my modified patch, once we get it fully working with the Type Cover 3.
    Last edited by alicia4542; June 29th, 2014 at 11:21 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast