Thread: Recommend a usb dongle for recording OTA HD...

Beans

Recommend a usb dongle for recording OTA HD...

I'm not sure that this is the right forum for this question but I'll start here.

Can someone recommend the best (for use with Ubuntu) usb dongle for recording Over The Air HD television? I am moving into an area that has great over the air digital TV signal reception (welcome to the 20th century) but limited internet and cable tv access, so I am researching the best solution for recording OTA digital HD. I prefer an external solution that can be used with a laptop rather than one of the ubiquitous TV cards.

Thanks for any enlightenment you may have.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Recommend a usb dongle for recording OTA HD...

Most dongles, as well as their PCI or PCI-e counterparts are already supported at the basic level. Meaning: Some will be recognized straight away, many will need a proprietary firmware which is available in Ubuntu repositories and suggested at the Additional Drivers tool but otherwise fine and a few that don't work or require too much work for what it is... The bundled remotes often require the bundled (Windows) software. In a nutshell, most current tuner chipsets will work fine in Ubuntu albeit partially.

In order to suggest some hardware we need to know which digital TV technology first. Not all chipsets have support for more than one.
    If we were talking about Europe and/or DVB-T/T2 this humble and unbranded HD DVB-T/T2 USB TV Stick with MPEG4 support would be enough.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans

I am talking about the US OTA digital stream. Which work best for that application?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You need ATSC then...
    Sorry, no suggestions. The EZCAP probably works but it's sold out. You can search in the usual stores - AliExpress, eBay, Amazon, etc. - then google about the brands-models/chipset + ubuntu of those available to you.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I use an Ezycap DVB-T tuner. Works 'out of the box' with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Anything with the Realtek RTL2832U chip will work fine (that is what is in the Ezycap). The chip inside is more important than the brand and model. Good luck with TV on Ubuntu.
    Last edited by coffeecat; 1 Week Ago at 09:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Thread moved to Hardware.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.