Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Svideo / Dual Monitor(xinerama) / Dual Monitor(cloned desktop) on i945

Beans

Re: How To: Svideo / Dual Monitor(xinerama) / Dual Monitor(cloned desktop) on i945

@hanretty
    Nevermind, i got it working now Very nice!!!!
    One more question though: Is there a way that I can have a whole desktop background image on each monitor? Right now it took my background and stretched it to fit both screens as if they were a whole. This isn't really a problem, just a matter of looks.
    Mind to share what u did to achieve that?
    I am also trying to get 1280x800 on my laptop and 1024x768 on external monitor.
    I follow the great guide and get dual monitor working on my Dell Inspiron 6400 running Fedora 7. But both screen appear to be 1024x768.

Also, I got this error:
    [jwlam@localhost USBDISKPRO]$ system-config-display
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/share/system-config-display/xconf.py", line 381, in <module>
    dialog = xConfigDialog.XConfigDialog(hardware_state, xconfig, rhpxl.videocard.VideoCardInfo())
    File "/usr/share/system-config-display/xConfigDialog.py", line 646, in __init__
    self.xml.get_widget("secondMonitorLabel").set_text (monitor_list[1].modelname)
    TypeError: GtkLabel.set_text() argument 1 must be string, not None
    and X-server will run into problems... (wallpaper missing from one of the monitors, menu bar missing, etc). Simply cant access my display settings.

Please advise. Thx.

Beans

Re: How To: Svideo / Dual Monitor(xinerama) / Dual Monitor(cloned desktop) on i945

I juz switched to XFCE. running 'system-config-display' basically has no effect on desktop or the menu bar. The only problem is the same error msg. I still cannot access those settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Cool Re: How To: Svideo / Dual Monitor(xinerama) / Dual Monitor(cloned desktop) on i945

Ok, I've just installed Ubuntu 7.10 and it's a bit of a mixed bag.

If I log out and back in after connecting my s-video cable I CAN get a picture on my TV. HOWEVER, it's a cloned picture.

As such it's a bit awkward, if I fullscreen a video, it first tries to fit the screensize of the laptop, then if I go out and back in, hey presto, it fits the tv screen BUT I lose the display on the laptop entirely and have to log out and back in to get it back.

I can get around this somewhat by downing the resolution on my laptop. But it's far too hard to navigate menus etc.. like this.

Ideally I'd like a dual screen setup, with the tv screen as an extension of my desktop, letting me drag a video onto the tv and play it fullscreen there whilst I work on my laptop.

If I go to graphics options, even though I have a cloned picture on the tv, I can't select Screen 2 as a secondary screen, it's disabled (?!...even though I can see the cloned display there).

Soooo... the long and short, I thought I'd try the method listed here. Unforutnately it doesn't work, option 1 just logs me out and once I log in I'm back to normal (as I'd expect). The other options log me out, and actually disable any picture on the tv. Does this method just not work with 9.10?

Any help would be well received! .... I'm trying to ditch windows, but this isn't helping!

...ps I've got a VAIO VGN-C2S with a mobile intel 945GM
    Last edited by dysphasi; October 20th, 2007 at 09:42 PM. Reason: to add my computer/graphics make and model

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ok, just to follow up on my previous posting, I've sorted out my problems.

If anyone else is interested in setting up a tv as an extension of the laptop screen please have a little ganders at my other post

Beans

OK
    I am using the recommenced config from the beginning of the post. I am using Gutsy. The problem is that when I have the second monitor plugged in the resolution on my lcd goes down even though in the xorg.conf it is only set to use "1920x1200". i noticed this is a problem even when running in single if the external monitor is plugged in.

Is there a trick here?
    Last edited by LORDs_diakonos; October 30th, 2007 at 01:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

A question for Svideo users.. where did you find your 5 pin Svideo cable to component/composite? I'm looking for one and know that stores like Radioshack carry them. But I'm wondering if anyone has a good one they'd like to recommend.
    "I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    Desktop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows XP
    Laptop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows Vista (soon to be replaced by Windows 7)
    n800: Diablo/Maemo 4 (one day Mer..)

Beans

Go for a 9 pin instead. Don't take a standard s-video cable, it won't fit (dell 630m but suppose it's like this for most s-video out with intel chip).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

How would a 9 pin fit in a 5 pin?
    "I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    Desktop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows XP
    Laptop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows Vista (soon to be replaced by Windows 7)
    n800: Diablo/Maemo 4 (one day Mer..)

Beans

Hey Featherking, congratulation for the hardwork and all the support you have given the community.

Hey guys, Im trying to play some movies by S-video in my TV, I have a widescreen 29'' HDTV.
    http://www.insignia-products.com/p-9...ts-silver.aspx

The manufactured says "WXGA (1366 x 768 pixels) resolution for stunning image clarity". When I use 800x600 I have some big black margins in the TV. Then I try adding higher value resoltuions (e.g 1270X780, etc..). I used the SwitchMon command Option 3, after logging in, I try changing the resolution through Ubuntu->Preferences->Screen Resolution, but does not give me the option of changing to the higher values I entered in the file, it only gives me the orginal options.

I tried a more desperate measure, and modify the file (by the way I'm using the s-video clone file) to look
    Code:
    Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"TV"
    	Device		"SVIDEO"
    	Monitor		"TV"
    	DefaultDepth	24

SubSection "Display"
    		Depth	24
    		Modes	"1280 x 760"
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection
    This way I thought it would be the only option possible, after logging in, I could only see a color rectangle (logging screen was fine!), couldnt see anything else - no toolbar, anything!

How can I change the file to look the best on that TV?

Thanks
    Last edited by nsilva; November 15th, 2007 at 06:10 AM.
    "I'm fat but at least I'm not a window" - Tux
    Ubuntu 6.04 Server Edition
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Can I just ask if anyone using Gutsy has a xinerama setup fully working using an intel 945gm?

If so, would you mind posting your xorg? Further, what driver are you using for the card? The default intel modesetting driver, or the i810? And is the 915resolution dooda needed?

I've tried a thorough search, but can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast