Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well... it was fun :)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well... it was fun :)

I have used Ubuntu for about a month now, then I decided to download OpenSuse 10.2... Well let's just say that I deleted all of my partitions and am only using OpenSuse now . Everything just seemed to work better with my laptop (even the remote works). So I'll still troll, but I'm a Suse fan now!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Well... it was fun :)

I used to use openSUSE 10.1 but it sucked majorly at figuring out what to do with my graphics card(s). For ATI X200... draw a weird scrambled random color screen. For nvidia 7300 GS... draw nothing at all. I did fix it by setting the driver to vesa... after pushing TAB after random letters in a dark, scary failsafe terminal boot. Then i installed the proprietary drivers. Ubuntu recognized by wireless immediately (highly surprising for any distro to do that) but openSUSE needed me to download madwifi and build+install it from source.

I think my main issues with openSUSE were somehow associated with the fact that suse is more KDE-oriented and I liked using gnome instead. But everyone must pick whatever works best for them.

Beans

Is there a website where I could view the packages in the SuSE repositories?

Beans

Suse is a nicely engineered piece of software, no doubt. It's in a class ahead of everything else. The only thing is that I HATE HATE HATE their package management. It's been broken for years. They don't even need to switch to APT... yum is fine. They just need to really buckle down and fix their repositories.

And a 1-CD install would be nice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by feed_sparky View Post
    I have used Ubuntu for about a month now, then I decided to download OpenSuse 10.2... Well let's just say that I deleted all of my partitions and am only using OpenSuse now . Everything just seemed to work better with my laptop (even the remote works). So I'll still troll, but I'm a Suse fan now!
    That's perfectly fine! I'm glad you found the distro for you. But for me it's all about the Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    And a 1-CD install would be nice.
    Amen to that! I've really thought about giving 10.2 a try, but the download for the disks keeps me putting it off.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steven8 View Post
    Amen to that! I've really thought about giving 10.2 a try, but the download for the disks keeps me putting it off.
    That's exactly the thing. It seem so obvious to me. If you want to enable a 5-CD install, that's fine. But make it so you only need the first CD to get up and running. I'd rather pull the latest from the web anyway. SUSE was started when that kind of bandwidth was rare, and so what you wanted to do was give out massive amounts of CDs in your boxed set.

The world has changed! Give me a 1-CD install, and let me download the rest!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Who needs five cds when one is enough? I don't feel like uninstalling half of the software, then upgrading the other 2 gig. If they had a one cd install I would actually try it, but right now it is way out of my league.

Beans
    Hidden!

That's exactly the thing. It seem so obvious to me. If you want to enable a 5-CD install, that's fine. But make it so you only need the first CD to get up and running. I'd rather pull the latest from the web anyway. SUSE was started when that kind of bandwidth was rare, and so what you wanted to do was give out massive amounts of CDs in your boxed set.
    -If you look on the SuSE site you will find a Internet Installation CD which exactly what you are describing.

I agree with the packaging manager comments, YAST is a little strange. You can install apt on SuSE though.
    Never eat more than you can lift!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Titus A Duxass View Post
    -If you look on the SuSE site you will find a Internet Installation CD which exactly what you are describing.

I agree with the packaging manager comments, YAST is a little strange. You can install apt on SuSE though.
    They have an internet install cd?? I'm on it. I'll try it in the morning. Don't know how I missed that!!

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast