Thread: Howto: Configure your conexant modem to work with ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Howto: Configure your conexant modem to work with ubuntu

All you have to do is to download linux headers for your kernel. Open synaptic, search for linux-headers-(kernel version), check and aply it!

Now go to http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads.php and download hsfmodem_(version)full_i386.deb. Open a console go to the directory where you downloaded the file, type:
    "sudo dpkg -i hsfmodem_(version)i386.deb" (withoun the "") and press enter on questions.

After all you will have your modem configured on your system and you can find it in /dev/modem!

Have fun

PS. This note from driver's site:
    # a free version (limited to 14.4Kbps data), available at no cost. Please use it to test if your hardware is compatible.
    # a full version (with 56K and FAX), available for a modest price.
    Last edited by de4th; May 22nd, 2005 at 08:49 AM.

Beans

Re: Howto: Configure your conexant modem to work with ubuntu

good job...

Regards,
    FreeEagle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Please note a free version (limited to 14.4Kbps data)
    Your freedom is worth more than you think. Take advantage of it while you can.
    I take Ubuntu

Beans

Installing HCF chipset, this is what worked for me

It seems, for example the Unofficall Ubuntu guide, assumes you can access the internet using Ubuntu, for me that wasn't the case. I had to download the driver from Linuxant on a Windows based machine and save it to a floppy.

The instructions for installing the driver Linuxant provided didn't work for a Debain file. To shorten the story here is what I did.

Go to terminal, type in "cd /media/floppy0/" hit enter. Then add to the next line seen "sudo dpkg -i hcfpci~1.deb" both commmands without quotation marks. With a sudo command you will have to enter your password. Bam, the A driver started clicking and the driver loaded asking for some additional information. Of course now I have to figure out how to see if it is communicationg with the OS.

Hope this helps.

Beans

works on Dapper 2.6.15.23

-James DeLong

Beans

Re: Installing HCF chipset, this is what worked for me

It's even easier: d/l the files to usbdrive, unzip the .deb file. Attach usb drive to ubuntu system.
    The system will recognize it & put an icon on the desktop. Double click to open (with nautilus).
    Double click the .deb package and it will open & install automatically. You'll have to provide your admin password, but you'll be prompted for it.
    There's a couple of questions that have to be answered (country, for one) by hitting enter & accepting the defaults.
    Here's the trick: there's a TERMINAL option inside the .deb installer that ran when you double clicked on the package. Click that, and a terminal window opens that lets you respond to the prompts.
    This is all *much* easier and quicker to do than describe - just try it. No need to use cryptic shell commands at any time.
    =D>

Quote Originally Posted by eagleseye View Post
    It seems, for example the Unofficall Ubuntu guide, assumes you can access the internet using Ubuntu, for me that wasn't the case. I had to download the driver from Linuxant on a Windows based machine and save it to a floppy.

The instructions for installing the driver Linuxant provided didn't work for a Debain file. To shorten the story here is what I did.

Go to terminal, type in "cd /media/floppy0/" hit enter. Then add to the next line seen "sudo dpkg -i hcfpci~1.deb" both commmands without quotation marks. With a sudo command you will have to enter your password. Bam, the A driver started clicking and the driver loaded asking for some additional information. Of course now I have to figure out how to see if it is communicationg with the OS.

Hope this helps.

Beans

I have downloaded my modem file intel-v92ham-453.tgz.
    Can some body give me how to install this file. It is Ambient Technologies contollerless modem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by de4th View Post
    All you have to do is to download linux headers for your kernel. Open synaptic, search for linux-headers-(kernel version), check and aply it!

Now go to http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads.php and download hsfmodem_(version)full_i386.deb. Open a console go to the directory where you downloaded the file, type:
    "sudo dpkg -i hsfmodem_(version)i386.deb" (withoun the "") and press enter on questions.

After all you will have your modem configured on your system and you can find it in /dev/modem!

Have fun

PS. This note from driver's site:
    # a free version (limited to 14.4Kbps data), available at no cost. Please use it to test if your hardware is compatible.
    # a full version (with 56K and FAX), available for a modest price.
    I am new to ubuntu. and when i try to connect to my dial up connection, it shows a message cannot open modem. What should i do?

Beans

This driver didn't work with my Conexant modem (Acer Aspire 7720G laptop). I tried different versions but all I did get is the conflict with standard ALSA sound driver.
    But I used linmodem drivers on Redhat in past (on different PC) and it didn't annoy about money for extra kilobits. You may use your modem on Windows for free but you should pay to use it on linux. This is a kind of stupid idea.