Thread: Good idea for a sound editor?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Good idea for a sound editor?

I have had this idea going around my head for a while and wanted to see what other thought of it. Maybe there is some existing sound editor that already does this.

The problem I have seen in all sound editing programs that I have used is that most effects have certain input values or parameters that the user can manipulate to vary the effect, yet these values stay constant for the length of the effect.

So my idea is to use the concept of "paths" applied to effects parameters. When I say path, I mean a sequence of values over time. The path could be drawn out by hand like a line graph, or more practically it could be recorded in realtime from some input device(mouse, joystick, some sort of slider input), while the sound is being played. It would correlate roughly to the graphic artist concept of paths, but this one is in only a single dimension. When the effect is processed, a path would be taken as one of the parameters, instead of some constant value.

An example would be a wah-wah effect. I have tried this in audacity, and the only option i have seen is to have the wah-wah going in a constant sine wave. Well, if there was this use of paths, then a user could record the wahs in real time, to an arbitrary beat.

I hope I am explaining this well. I think it would be an awesome tool for anyone that edits sound. I am considering trying to write such a program if one doesn't already exist, but I don't have a whole lot of spare time or experience in the area. Maybe some day.
    Quote Originally Posted by smcnally
    For me, it's all about the penguin...If the Linux mascot was a tiger or an elephant, I would have never even tried it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Good idea for a sound editor?

This feature exist in some editors I've used,

In Cool Edit pro(Adobe Audition) you could set any number of effects to used on a track in the multi-tracker window and control certain parameters by drawing a line along the length of a track(Like in this picture). In Ardour you can do the same and even "record" your changes in realtime like you can do in a pro-studio with a good mixer.
    Is it called automation?