Thread: Tax programs?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Tax programs?

I have heard a consistent cry from the Linux community for the lack of a Tax program like 'Tax Cut' or 'Turbo Tax'...

I have only learn about tax in high school where we do it by hand but haven't really done one... but I like to ask, what is so unique about those programs? Why can't the same thing be done in something like OOo spreadsheet? Or maybe some mathematical Web 2.0 app?
    Registered Linux User #404403 - Ubuntu User #19426

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Tax programs?

These aren't just programs to calculate your taxes. These are programs, usually online, that you enter in the information and also submit it to the government. No mailing, no phonecalls, etc. It's a very nice thing to use. However, most of the sites require windows and IE to work. That's why the cry goes up in the Linux community. I was one such who was asking about it. A nice bloke recommended TaxAct.com. We used it (in windows) and it was an excellent site. I'm hoping to be Linux-only next year and try it again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This thread may help:
    Income Tax Programs for Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

TurboTax is who my wife has been using the last few years. However, our hdd crashed one night, and my wife already had half the return done in TurboTax, so I plugged in the one I have Kubuntu on. TurboxTax informed us that we failed the 'compatability check'. No windows or IE. In the thread I started, a fellow said he'd used TurboTax in Linux, but later posted that his wife told him it wouldn't work this year. They must have just changed.

I got my old hdd back up and running and completed the return in windows, but not on TurboTax. I used TaxAct, because it was recommended to use on Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ohh so there are Tax isn't a problem with Linux anymore??? (TaxACT?) If so, that's one less obstacle to switch to Linux!!!
    Registered Linux User #404403 - Ubuntu User #19426

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnz View Post
    Ohh so there are Tax isn't a problem with Linux anymore??? (TaxACT?) If so, that's one less obstacle to switch to Linux!!!
    I'm using that with my wife as an argument to switch.