7 13.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll : Better Software and Hardware support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Poll : Better Software and Hardware support

Hi I want to know what people think about Linux in general and the support that it receives from developers

I have noticed that most manufacturers Don't Support Us like they support other Operating systems and I continually need to go searching for things that waste time or don't work properly, and don't have manufacturers drivers included.

E.G Canon CD Printer - No Drivers - Fix? Kind of Turboprint - However you have to pay for this....Pay to make my printer function the way that it is supposed to?..........No! thats not right, My money has already paid for their R&D on mac and windows - At the moment I will never use a mac, yet I have paid for them to include the driver support.

The point of the earlier example is to point out that these companies ought also to include Full functionality in their Linux Drivers

So I would like to take a quick poll to see if this annoys others members of our Strong Linux Community....

Please give me insight and sites I May go to that advocate better support from these manufacturers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Poll : Better Software and Hardware support

This kind of discussion is probably better suited for the Cafe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Smile Re: Poll : Better Software and Hardware support

Cheers I wasn't sure where to put it, but if you want to move it you can - no probs

Beans

The question is, why should they. I am going to post another thread on this - ubuntu is the first linux distro that I want to install, badly.

However, it has a miniscule market share and hardware people often don't even provide proper drivers for Mac OS X - they have enough to cope with just to support Windows.

So I think the solution would be to make it very, very easy for HW manufacturers to support Linux - something like the NDIS wrappers for wireless cards except that it can't rely on an existing windows install but must work standalone.

I imagine it would work like this:

A) Hardware vendor makes Windows driver, compiles .exe for Win
    B) Ubuntu gives them a tool that allows them to create an executable for Linux in parallel. They don't have to do anything but run that tool on their existing code and release it.
    C) Ubuntu, when running this binary, recognizes it as Windows driver and wraps it in binary that lets the driver think it's running on Windows and embeds it in Linux.

I bet that would work for most drivers out there. Of course driver vendors sometimes do something stupid thats unreasonable to support on Linux but I bet that for the most part it would not require much effort.

Another alternative, though I am not sure of the legal ramifications would be that the driver vendor installs its own driver on its own Windows system, then uses an NDis wrapper like system to extract the drivers and provide them for download under Linux. As long as no Windows-proprietary DLLs need to be copied that should work fine as well.

The point is, NDISwrapper is the solution to Linux driver problems, you just have to find a way to make it independent of Windows installs - no one should have to install Windows to run Linux, obviously.

Another options would be to establish a tried and trusted system whereby hardware vendors can provide developers with information they need to write drivers themselves. But in the end I imagine that would be even more work for the vendors than commissioning their own team to do it - they would spend less cash on developers but more on management and lawyers... maybe not so good. It's an illusion to think that HW vendors are happy to open source all their hardware secrets, that's not gonna happen.

Beans

I say, HP and IBM. I've had excellent luck with HP printers and my IBM Thinkpad.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Another solution would be to support (i.e., buy products from) only manufacturers who support Linux (by either releasing Linux versions of their drivers or opening up their drivers so that Linux developers can incorporate those drivers into the kernel) and then write letters to the manufacturers who do not support Linux as well (or at all) and say something along the lines of:
    I am interested in your products, but unfortunately you don't support Linux as well as your competitor _______, so I bought from them instead. I hope you will improve Linux compatibility in the future--I look forward to possibly being a future customer, should you do so.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Poll : Better Software and Hardware support

Quote Originally Posted by orthorim View Post
    Another options would be to establish a tried and trusted system whereby hardware vendors can provide developers with information they need to write drivers themselves. But in the end I imagine that would be even more work for the vendors than commissioning their own team to do it - they would spend less cash on developers but more on management and lawyers... maybe not so good. It's an illusion to think that HW vendors are happy to open source all their hardware secrets, that's not gonna happen.
    True but there was just recently a framework put in place for that: http://www.kroah.com/log/2007/01/29/

Also MS has started hating WINE with its "genuine advantage" stuff. You apparently can't install WMP11 or IE7 because it doesn't pass validation if it finds a WINE registry key.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Talking Re: Poll : Better Software and Hardware support

The question is, why should they. I am going to post another thread on this - ubuntu is the first linux distro that I want to install, badly.
    It may be the first distro you want to install badly, but there are plenty of others who already have a few distros up their sleeves already.

No considering that their is a huge potential for growth in the *nix market in general with friendlier *nix distros being developed nearly everyday, why wouldn't a company want to support their customers?

However, it has a miniscule market share and hardware people often don't even provide proper drivers for Mac OS X - they have enough to cope with just to support Windows.
    yes but those devices that do provide support get repeated business from mac users!

And take for example Cowlip

I say, HP and IBM. I've had excellent luck with HP printers and my IBM Thinkpad.
    He/She would probably be willing to purchase IBM and HP again because of the ease of use, however if the driver support wasn't there like for example <enter the name ofsome unsupported piece of hardware here> you would look for an alternative next purchase!

I don't think the idea is to get us as the community to write wrappers and such just to get our hardware up and running - as I said earlier, when I buy a Printer, I want the whole thing to work - yes! on Linux - otherwise I won't buy Canon next (I actually have this situation at the moment)

Remeber that for every $ you spend you are paying for "support" a couple of thousand spent in providing Native Linux support will pay for itself Long term

This is the point of this discussion - basically to gague the temperatureof peoples opinions and perhaps to do something about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Wink Re: Poll : Better Software and Hardware support

Oh BTW

HTML Code:
    Another solution would be to support (i.e., buy products from) only manufacturers who support Linux (by either releasing Linux versions of their drivers or opening up their drivers so that Linux developers can incorporate those drivers into the kernel) and then write letters to the manufacturers who do not support Linux as well (or at all) and say something along the lines of:
    Ayisu - that is exactly what I am trying to do

I am actually starting a site called linuxpetitions.org and bug these guys into supporting all of us in the *nix community

the site isn't up yet but I think we can get these big guys to see things our way - I hate having to run vmaware to run my N70 or print directly onto cd's

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

10. Others: nVidia.
    Registered Linux User #414888

Skills: Java, Python, LAMP, and eating a hamburger with chopsticks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast