Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Beryl or Compiz or not to Beryl or Compiz....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

To Beryl or Compiz or not to Beryl or Compiz....

....that is the question.

I have the following Laptop that has been running Ubuntu flawlessly since Breezy, now I am running
    Dapper. To afraid to upgrade to Edgy since I am afraid my wireless would stop working.
    I would really like some eye candy, and it seems like Compiz is complicated to install, but Beryl
    might be a better choice.
    Could anyone tell me by looking at my specs if I could run this or not? I know I have a
    ATI mobility card and everyone goes on and on about how nvidia is better but ATI is possible.
    I just wonder how much work is it going to be to get that cool 3d cube thingy and other
    effects.
    Help anyone?

Thank you for your time.

Sony VAIO
    ModelVGN-A130P

1 GIG Ram

Graphics
    ATI Mobility™ Radeon™ 9200 64MB

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 1.50GHz

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: To Beryl or Compiz or not to Beryl or Compiz....

The GPU is supported.

You have have enough mem to take beryl on

The Cpu is strong enough for the task.

Have read over this http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...38&postcount=7

Also from what i have read they seem to have made it a little bit more easier for ati folks to install beryl under edgy,however. the link above should get you going on dapper.

Note: understand that installing beryl can lead to some issues.
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To be honest, both beryl and compiz are easy to install.
    I the main problem most people run into is setting up accelerated X. AIGLX(easy) XGL(not so easy) so figure out which method your card will support and set that up first.

Beans
    Hidden!

papa, have you gotten to try it at all? if not, the sabayon live cd comes with it. you just have to type aiglx-gentoo (or, something like that. the site would tell you) at the boot prompt and it will boot right into kde-beryl.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by SD-Plissken View Post

Also from what i have read they seem to have made it a little bit more easier for ati folks to install beryl under edgy.
    I have a laptop with Ati 340M with shared memory and installing beryl under Edgy was really easy.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by fuscia View Post
    papa, have you gotten to try it at all? if not, the sabayon live cd comes with it. you just have to type aiglx-gentoo (or, something like that. the site would tell you) at the boot prompt and it will boot right into kde-beryl.
    I would have to advise against Sabayon. It's a really interesting distro, and it is amazing to be able to see beryl even at the liveCD stage. However, your system will require days/weeks of tweaking, which I assume you don't have, if you avoided switching to edgy because of the wifi. A good many gentoo/sabayon users will tell you that Gentoo/Sabayon is an awesome system for the patient, dedicated, experienced user.
    ------
    Sony Vaio VGN-AW11M, 4GB RAM, only 3GB visible, don't know why. Running Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by morphet View Post
    However, your system will require days/weeks of tweaking,
    I have been using Ubuntu as the main OS on my laptop and I chose it among many others. However I have to say that it DOES require many tweaking for many basic tasks before you can call it your main OS! I have a long list that I go through it whenever I have to reinstall Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I guess what I will do is try an Edgy install and go from there. The only thing about doing that is losing everything I have set up and got working so far.

It has been a long road since December of 05 to get where I am, I did a upgrade from Breezy to Dapper without to much of an issue. But if I upgrade to Edgy, I have read several things about the wireless stops working and that is my only way of connecting, if I loose that I am toast.

I know there is a way to back up my system so I dont lose all the software I installed and what not, but then I have to go dig up that post somewhere here on the forums.

All of it seems so daunting just to get that really cool 3D cube....

And fuscia, no I have not tried the sabayon distro yet, my Ubuntu has never ever failed me, but I am growing restless and want to do what all the other cool kids are doing....

Quote Originally Posted by hanzomon4 View Post
    I the main problem most people run into is setting up accelerated X. AIGLX(easy) XGL(not so easy) so figure out which method your card will support and set that up first.
    So how do I figure out which one my card would support? Sorry if that question is stupid or redundant....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PapaWiskas View Post
    ....that is the question.

I have the following Laptop that has been running Ubuntu flawlessly since Breezy, now I am running
    Dapper. To afraid to upgrade to Edgy since I am afraid my wireless would stop working.
    I would really like some eye candy, and it seems like Compiz is complicated to install, but Beryl
    might be a better choice.
    Could anyone tell me by looking at my specs if I could run this or not? I know I have a
    ATI mobility card and everyone goes on and on about how nvidia is better but ATI is possible.
    I just wonder how much work is it going to be to get that cool 3d cube thingy and other
    effects.
    Help anyone?

Thank you for your time.

Sony VAIO
    ModelVGN-A130P

1 GIG Ram

Graphics
    ATI Mobility™ Radeon™ 9200 64MB

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 1.50GHz
    I use Beryl in Sabayon 3.26,...XGL simply works with "NO" tweaking....

(I have an ATI Radeon Platinum)

Quote Originally Posted by hanzomon4 View Post
    just load a live CD with Beryl installed by default...

I suggest Sabayon...because everything just works....some people I know have had to some minor tweaking but no more then in Ubuntu

Also If you like Ubuntu then try UBeryl...UBeryl is Ubuntu+Beryl....installed by default...works awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by fuscia View Post
    No need to type anything...upon booting the live CD you simply select the desktop acceleration of your choice....It honestly could not be easier...

again UBeryl is pain free and based on Ubuntu...also just works

Quote Originally Posted by morphet View Post
    I would have to advise against Sabayon. It's a really interesting distro, and it is amazing to be able to see beryl even at the liveCD stage. However, your system will require days/weeks of tweaking, which I assume you don't have, if you avoided switching to edgy because of the wifi. A good many gentoo/sabayon users will tell you that Gentoo/Sabayon is an awesome system for the patient, dedicated, experienced user.
    hmmm,...sad to here you have had difficulties,....perhaps you should try UBeryl.

As far as days or weeks of tweaking I am so glad that this did not happen to me...everything simply worked "out-of-the-box"....it honestly is the easiest of OS's to install....I had zero tweak time

There is a reason why I use Sabayon on my Primary computer...not because it was hard but because it was easy!...and everything thing just works by default.

Again if you want Beryl by default in Ubuntu simply use UBeryl.....

I will always use Ubuntu on my secondary computer...well I may load Xubuntu or Fluxbuntu on it to increase speed...it kinda crawls on the old P3

I love Beryl for it's function and it's beauty....(yes I said function)

Quote Originally Posted by PapaWiskas View Post

All of it seems so daunting just to get that really cool 3D cube....

And fuscia, no I have not tried the sabayon distro yet, my Ubuntu has never ever failed me, but I am growing restless and want to do what all the other cool kids are doing....

So how do I figure out which one my card would support? Sorry if that question is stupid or redundant....
    No need to figure this out in Sabayon or UBeryl it will do all the work for you,....and detect what will or will not work for you...automagically!
    Last edited by RAV TUX; February 9th, 2007 at 01:46 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Let me just say that Compiz broke my xserver the only time I tried it. Beryl has been going strong so far with all the updates and such...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast