Page 12 of 84 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Linspire and Ubuntu partnering up / CNR ported to Ubuntu...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: We will get CNR!

Quote Originally Posted by EdThaSlayer View Post
    Personally, I would like to try this CNR and see how stable it is.
    Wqit for the revamp that is coming 2q07, IMHO. As a long time CNR user, I love it, but the current incarnation has it's issues..minor...but a pain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by DerHesse View Post
    Why should I need it. There in not one reason why.

Technically you do not need a computer. Society lived well without them on every desktop not too long ago. It is about wanting it. If we went by sheer technical need, we would have stopped at Slackware and said...done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Enverex View Post
    The objections to CNR aren't anything to do with "not wanting something simple to install applications". It's the principal of getting people to buy into seeing software on there and paying for it which can lead quite easily to exploitation and before we know it it'll end up like Windows with everything locked in with DRM courtesy of the applications that everyone starts buying via CNR. The second issue is Linspire's reputation as pointed out on several other threads.

Saying "if you don't want to use it don't download it" is much like saying that "Well gun's aren't an issue in the US, if you don't like them then don't use one" but the effect of everyone else having one is still a problem whether you have one or not. Basically what I'm trying to say is that it can still do damage to things as a whole because of the people that DO use it.

So will you all please just stop with the "omg linux elitists don't want us to be able to install stuff easily!!!11" comments because no-one is objecting to that part (although I don't see how "right click > Install" in synaptic is hard, how much easier do people want? To read your mind and install it automatically?).
    Enverex,

I am not going to flame you. I just want to be clear where you are coming from and respect what you have to say. Is the issue for you the fact that they have non libre software offered on it, commercial software on it, or something else that I am missing from your post.

With respect.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

For the record, Synaptic isn't as easy as everyone thinks. Sure, right clicking and clicking install is easy enough, but the sheer amount of programs in there can be very overwhelming at times, especially with things like libraries thrown in.

After teaching my sister through Synaptic, I showed her Gnome-App-Install. She said, "this is a LOT easier, I wish I knew about this sooner".

That being said, I think CNR will be a nice blend between Synaptic and Gnome-App-Install.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by picpak View Post
    For the record, Synaptic isn't as easy as everyone thinks. Sure, right clicking and clicking install is easy enough, but the sheer amount of programs in there can be very overwhelming at times, especially with things like libraries thrown in.

After teaching my sister through Synaptic, I showed her Gnome-App-Install. She said, "this is a LOT easier, I wish I knew about this sooner".

That being said, I think CNR will be a nice blend between Synaptic and Gnome-App-Install.
    ??? They are organized in sections
    Remove some of your sources...
    Use the search function...
    Right-Click???

App-Install is a nice tool though!!!

*spire should of come up with this multi-CNR a year ago (at least) if they wanted more demand for it IMO!
    Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!"

Beans

I would just like to point out that this is already a DONE DEAL! CNR is going to be released and available for Ubuntu. If you don't like it, then don't use it.. but it is absolutely on it's way to release... pass the popcorn, please!

Beans

If CNR is finally going to get non-techie folks like my Mom to use Linux, I'm all for it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EdThaSlayer View Post
    Personally, I would like to try this CNR and see how stable it is.
    As I said several pages ago, I used CNR when I was giving Freespire a try and had no problems with stability. That was with installing a good number of programs through it.

Also, that was when I was a Linux newbie and hadn't discovered the ease of apt-get yet. I honestly thing CNR will be a plus to getting people using Linux for the first time. You can get no charge programs at no cost, and if you want something that carries a price tag you can do it from the same "store." For the rest of us it'll be there to use or not use, just like some of us never run Applications > Add/Remove.

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmusician View Post
    the difference is that CNR isn't just about multimedia codecs, it's much more. I have no problem with them selling the codecs, but I don't want all the other baggage that will come with it. Since Ubuntu is a popular distro, it could end up popularizing the CNR format, which would be a perfect opportunity for malware to get to Linux. Do you know how many people use Webshots on their Windows computers, despite it being an infective, malware ridden, POS? CNR makes it easier for people to put out executables that they know users will download and install.
    Sorry fella but you got you facts a little skewed.

if you go to Cnr.com theres a diagram of how it works. It updates its "warehouse" by mirroring the respositores in Ubuntu, so all the products from all the respositories become available. Its not a case of submitting a program to Cnr an hey presto it appears, All the apps come from official distie repos be them in .deb .tar .rpm etc (obviously .rpms are not debian formats.)

So the introduction of Malware is as likely as a malware app getting directly into one of the ubuntu repo's.

Personally i think the Pros out way the cons

easy codec install, easy driver install, user reviews, legal codecs for the countries that are backwards thinking about linux being the source of all DVD piracy. The Service cost nothing its FREE as in zero cost. You can pay for membership to the service and get reduced rates of software that would COST YOU MONEY ANY WAY such as sStar Office or CrossOver Office and some games etc.

That coupled to the fact the actual client software is OPEN source also means the service will be transparant.

My reservations are that as an ex Linspire user its CnR service then wasn't so hot. It would lock up and fail fairly often. But as they say they have rewritten the whole client i will give it a whirl.
    Last edited by Brynster; January 24th, 2007 at 05:43 PM.
    Do you like my signature?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just checked out the screenshots myself. It looks good, did you notice that there were options to buy programs at the bottom? I understood they would try to make $$'s. no harm. It will be interesting. Still up in the air about it...

Page 12 of 84 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast