Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What text editor for LaTeX?

Beans
    Hidden!

Arrow What text editor for LaTeX?

What text editor can you recommend me for writing a book? I already decided to use LaTex. The editor should also have a Windows version

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: What text editor for LaTeX?

must it be the same editor in windows as linux?

gedit is a good simple editor in linux (its the ubuntu default text editor). it has spell checking and syntax highlighting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well its a matter of taste. Do you want a semi-wysiwyg interface like lyx or would you prefer something like emacs?

I know both emacs and lyx run on windows. A few years ago (the last time I actually used windows to do any work) I remember setting up lyx on windows was a bit irritating but things may have changed.

I've just started using the latex plugin for eclipse (texlipse) as my latex editor and I think its pretty good. Eclipse being java based will run on many platforms

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

another option is texmaker which apparently runs on windows and linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

instructions for setting up emacs and latex under windows:

http://www.math.aau.dk/~dethlef/Tips/introduction.html

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I like SciTE. You can install it from the repositories and you can install a windows version. http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html. Just pick the language you want to use. TeX is available as an option. When you're in Linux, though, gedit is just fine.

Beans

It depends on what you are writing. If it is a novel or something that is straightforward text, it simply does not matter much.

If you need to include indexing and a bibliography, then you want something that helps with these tasks. LyX does a pretty good job this way: it can help you find bibliographic references in a Bibtex database, and the index structure is OK.

I write legal texts that require multiple indexes (at least three: regular index, table of cases and table of statutes). The texts have *lots* of cross-referencing. For this, I haven't found anything that offers as much support as Emacs + Auctex + Reftex. There is also a "folding" mode that hides the latex markup if you like. The resulting screen is as readable as LyX.

There is also a good outlining feature with Auctex that gives you a lot of organising power.

HTH,
    Typhoon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am completely new to LaTeX myself as well, but downloaded LyX last week. It seems pretty good and easy to understand. I haven't tried anything else, but can say LyX is good for a beginner anyway.
    IBM ThinkCentre 8142 - Ubuntu 10.04
    Acer emachines D620 - Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

LyX is good. I am self-publishing a cookbook written by my wife. I used LyX to set it up and typeset it. The book has a lot of line drawings, so the layout was more complicated than simple text, but not complicated enough to use a desktop publishing program.

Using the LyX "boxes", I was able to get quite nice layouts with little stress. It is a very good program.

Also, the exported LaTeX coding was remarkably clean, so if you needed to deal with "real" LaTeX for some reason you could write in LyX and then export.

Cheers,
    Typhoon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I've written many scientifical reports with LaTeX, but in win.
    I've used MiKTeX + Texnic Center..
    What whould be equivalent (better ) in Linux to these two??

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast