Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D Rendering software ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question 3D Rendering software ...

Hi all,

In my graphics work I use primarily GIMP with the ocassional help of Inkscape when I need to do complicated vectors. But I'm wondering ... can anyone recommend me a decent 3D rendering program, for creating abstract 3D renders and similar? Something like Chaoscope would be great, but that's Windows only.

Thanks in advance.

/izo
    Running Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx on: Intel Pentium D 3GHz, 2Gb RAM, ATi X1950 PCI-E.
    See my website

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: 3D Rendering software ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

k3d. click. k3d also comes with a tutorial. and contrary to the fact that it begins with k, it is, in fact, written in gtk2 .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Blender. Nuf Said. http://www.blender3d.org
    Thanx,
    Matt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks a lot guys. I may give Blender a go. Is it on Synaptic at all?

/izo
    Running Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx on: Intel Pentium D 3GHz, 2Gb RAM, ATi X1950 PCI-E.
    See my website

Beans

It is:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install blender

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber View Post
    and contrary to the fact that it begins with k, it is, in fact, written in gtk2 .
    Strange decision on their part. I avoid anything that starts with "K" like the plague as I don't want the bloat (but I like KDE just fine, thankyouverymuch). GTK apps, on the other hand, I go out of my way to find as they run like greased lightning. Why not 'G3d' instead.

Anyways, thanks for the link.

EDIT: Izobalax, you may also want to know that k3d, too, is available in the repositories. I've never tried it, but ComplexNumber's opinion is a good one to go on. Give it a try if you find Blender's interface daunting. If you do, please let us know how it is.
    Last edited by DirtDawg; February 8th, 2007 at 08:43 AM. Reason: I Like Ike!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDawg View Post
    Strange decision on their part. I avoid anything that starts with "K" like the plague as I don't want the bloat (but I like KDE just fine, thankyouverymuch). GTK apps, on the other hand, I go out of my way to find as they run like greased lightning. Why not 'G3d' instead.

Anyways, thanks for the link.

EDIT: Izobalax, you may also want to know that k3d, too, is available in the repositories. I've never tried it, but ComplexNumber's opinion is a good one to go on. Give it a try if you find Blender's interface daunting. If you do, please let us know how it is.
    yeah, i know. its like kino, though....begins with a k but built using gtk2.
    i'm not too sure what the k stands for in k-3d. i've just had a look on the home page, and i found this:
    The name begins with K but it's not a KDE app ?!?

There's been a lot of fuss with this topic. The application's original name was Equus-3D, later changed by Tim to K-3D because the meaning of Equus was lost on too many people, and he was feeling particulary un-creative that day. At that time, Tim was unaware of the existence of the KDE project. As it happens the K in KDE may either stand for 'Kool' or nothing, as you wish! The K in K-3D means nothing. Manuel Bastioni has proposed Kinka, which stands for K-3D Is Not a KDE Application. On his more stubborn days, Tim has been known to blurt out that the KDE project doesn't have a patent on names beginning with K.
    http://www.k-3d.org/wiki/FAQ#What_is_K-3D_.3F

if you read earlier on in the FAQ, it mentions that it started on the amiga.

Beans

Blender is the best. I've also used a program called 'Art of Illusion'.
    But I mean no harm nor put fault
    On anyone that lives in a vault
    But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Blender, wings3d, and the like don't seem to want to run on my system. I try to click on them once installed, but nothing happens. I really want blender to work for me, any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast