Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gNewSense

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

gNewSense

As you may know, gNewSense is a new gnu/linux distro based on ubuntu dapper with all the non-free (free as in freedom) blobs removed.
    It was started by two Irish guys and is gradually building a community of like minded users.

I love ubuntu, but I notice a gradual move towards reliance of non-free software in many distros (i may be wrong but i believe feisty will use proprietary graphics drivers).

I personally will be using and supporting gNewSense and just wanted to bring your attention to it.

http://www.gnewsense.org

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/
    Last edited by lee797; February 6th, 2007 at 07:55 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: gNewSense

The non-free stuff in Ubuntu is a temporary "hack" if you will. Once the functionality comes out with something free, the non-free stuff will be swapped out. It doesn't represent a destination change, just an obstacle avoidance detour. With Vista now out, people are thinking about their options. Making ubuntu "just work" right now is important to try and gain those users trying out their options. It is hard to sway people when their stuff doesn't work with your distro.

That at least is what is being claimed, and for now I believe it. Time will of course bear out the truth of it. In the mean time, having projects like gNewSense is a good idea, it provides a viable solution to those wanting and being able to use a 100% free solution now. And I think it helps keep pressure on the decision makers to keep freedom in mind.
    How to install and run Photoshop 7 or earlier in wine
    Switched to Linux completely 1 January 2007 Ahh, a solid year of freedom
    My Website

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I agree that having ubuntu "just work" is important. With the travesty that is Vista, ubuntu really is an obvious choice for people who want to escape the MS prison and making the changeover for them as seamless as possible is clearly a priority. Personally, my opinions coincide with the gnu philosophy but I can understand how some are put off by "holier than thou" free s/w zealots. If using non-free s/w temporarily as a hack is necessary, then fair enough, but I would hope that it is very much temporary!!

Without the GPL the gnu/linux community would likely not exist and I think that it is important that users of the OS are at least aware of it and hopefully support it (which is why I will always call it gnu/linux). Of course, one is free to use un-free s/w but it must always be a choice that the user can make for him/herself.

Beans
    Hidden!

Is the user making a choice when non-free software is installed without the user being aware of it?

Also wanted to mention that gnewsense works great on all the machines I own....no decrease in functionality for me.
    Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by deanlinkous View Post
    Is the user making a choice when non-free software is installed without the user being aware of it?
    About as much choice as they get in any other piece of software that is installed during a new install. That is with the desktop install. I have not tried the alternate install, so there might be more choice in what get installed using that method, but I am just guessing.

Also wanted to mention that gnewsense works great on all the machines I own....no decrease in functionality for me.
    Sweet! I have just assumed that it wouldn't work on my laptop, but I will download it and give it a try to know for sure.
    My Website

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Shay Stephens View Post
    About as much choice as they get in any other piece of software that is installed during a new install.
    Considering this
    http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/philosophy
    It seems misleading to make so much non-free software so easily available. Is it just me?
    Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by deanlinkous View Post
    Considering this
    http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/philosophy
    It seems misleading to make so much non-free software so easily available. Is it just me?
    No, you're not alone. Lot's of people seem to be annoyed, that Mark is not standing by his word..

He promised a "free Ubuntu" to RMS, but today the say, that it is just no doable technically. ^^
    Edgy Eft Packages: Glade-3 3.1.4, Geany 0.10, Banshee 0.11.3, Inkscape 0.45, [] Geom - interactive geometry []
    Any questions? Send me a PM, as I don't subscribe to every thread.
    Mark Shuttleworth...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by lee797 View Post
    As you may know, gNewSense is a new gnu/linux distro based on ubuntu dapper with all the non-free (free as in freedom) blobs removed.
    It was started by two Irish guys and is gradually building a community of like minded users.

I love ubuntu, but I notice a gradual move towards reliance of non-free software in many distros (i may be wrong but i believe feisty will use proprietary graphics drivers).

I personally will be using and supporting gNewSense and just wanted to bring your attention to it.

http://www.gnewsense.org

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/
    So does gNewSense work for you? I guess a system with not a single proprietary thing on it should be hard to use. For example won't you hear any music which may be mp3 encoded? And I'm not letting you go with "I do not encode mp3 but ogg vorbis only.". I can understand that Mark decided reasonably, for the average user won't bother about copyright issues the least bit ("I uploaded loads of commerical video records onto Youtube - why the hell did they delete it.").

Beans
    Hidden!

You wouldn't have to guess if you truly tried free software instead of some mix.
    Then at least you would KNOW exactly what free software provides and if your system is compatible....and whether your usage could be handled with free software.

oh and free software has mp3 covered just fine but it is a patent issue and up to you to decide if you can legally use it or not, but why bother when there is ogg. I am afraid I do not encode mp3 but ogg vorbis only!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I downloaded the live cd. Everything but networking worked for me. I have to try and find a wireless card that will work with it. It was the same for my desktop and laptop. So I am close
    My Website

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast