Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secure flac image and cuesheet ripper/burner needed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Secure flac image and cuesheet ripper/burner needed

I've been looking and dreaming of a cd ripping/burning utility that is comfortable in the gnome environment since I left Windows over a year ago. I used to use EAC to rip and encode losslessly compressed images and cuesheets, and Burrrn to burn them back to exact duplicates. It was beautiful, and I never had to worry if a cd got damaged, because I always had a perfect copy archived. Now, in linux, I can't find any acceptable alternatives.

I would even be willing to compromise on the secure part; a good cdparanoia ripper would give accurate enough results for me, without the secure guarantee that EAC offered. But, I do need a system that allow me to maintain all the gaps between and before tracks though, hence the use of images and cuesheets. Ideally, I would like to be able to encode the cd images to flac, and then embed the cuesheet in it, and then at a later time, be able to decode and rip it easily.

Please feel free to suggest ideas of methods or applications I could use, or even other places I could make requests. Thanks.
    Linux user since January 31st, 2006.
    two ways to live :: the choice we all face

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Secure flac image and cuesheet ripper/burner needed

Have you tried Grip? See the link in my sig. Its a work in progress. I dont know if it does cue sheets but its honestly the best thing we have in linux. You can run EAC in WINE.

Beans
    Hidden!

I know this is not what you asked for, but if you are ready to use a command line app, abcde is a wonderful ripper/encoder/tagger that is very modifiable for your needs -- my setup currently rips, encodes to flac, gets tags from cddb, calculates replaygain and moves the files to my music directory with one press of a button on my media box remote.

Abcde can use several backends, like paranoia or cdda for ripping. The setup naturally takes a little more time, but if you are going to rip lots of CDs like I do, it's definitely worth it.

Beans
    Distro

I've tried both grip and abcde in the past, and both are good programs, just not what I'm looking for particularly. abcde does most of the things I want and is a very good ripper, probably the one I'm going to be using until something better comes along, but I've been having some difficulties with it, and it's interface isn't necessarily the easiest for newbies like myself to manage. I just haven't had the time to spend working with it yet.

Grip on the other hand, while I'm sure it's great for alot of users, its quite a bit lacking for my needs. FWIW though, it does have a very nice interface, something that I would love if abcde had.

I just wish that more users and/or developers would show alittle interest in quality audio tools; it seems to me like everyone's attention and time is going into all of these "yet-another-itunes-clone" audio players, and its quite a bit discouraging. IMHO, from what I've seen, abcde is the best we have, and *i don't think* its even being actively developed currently...

edit (my rambling continues)... If we had programs to compete with EAC and foobar2000, I think linux userbase would grow to bring in alot of audio junkies (those guys over at hydrogenaudio.org ) I guess our problem here is in a way recursive and self defining. We don't have these programs because we don't have many audio-minded users asking for them, and we don't have many audio minded users asking for them, because we don't have many programs to convince audio-minded users to switch to linux. What are we to do...
    Last edited by VCSkier; February 6th, 2007 at 07:04 PM.

Beans

I know I am coming late to this party, but I have been frustrated by the same issue in Linux and I have found a solution that is acceptable to me, at least.

I just downloaded and installed (through WINE) the latest 0.99 beta of EAC. It installed and configured without a hitch. It even automatically found my FLAC encoder! (Older versions required one to manually point EAC to the desired encoders.)

I just pull the album info from FreeDB, and tell it to rip a compressed CD image with cue sheet; Bada Boom, Bada BING!

The only caveat of course is, make sure you install whatever codecs you want - LAME, FLAC, FAAC, OGG - BEFORE you install EAC. EAC can't find what isn't there!

NOW my only problem is finding a Linux media player that supports playback from cue sheets. Foobar2000 does, and it will install through WINE, but sadly, it is not very stable running in Linux.

Anyone with a suggestion for a native Linux media player with cue sheet support?

Beans

I suggest using Amarok. It has a superb interface even if it is KDE. It will automatically read your cuesheet and allow you to even skip through tracks using it (even though you have one large mp3 instead of broken up tracks).

Beans

I'm interested in finding an application that will be able to do what the original poster was trying to accomplish. Mainly the part where it is trying to burn the the CUE/WAV combination recreating the gaps and pre-gaps.

I looked a few months back and you can see my findings here:

http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=183662

I did not have much luck.

Beans

I have found that for the most part the cue is not needed depending on how the original WAV is pulled off of the disc.

Given the following scenario the cue is not needed, simply removing the gaps is enough to produce an audio experience identical to the original.

Things to take into consideration here are the gaps between tracks, the tracks themselves, and the placement of both together. Almost all CDs start out with atleast a two second gap infront of the first track, this is unavoidable as far as I know. What can be done with the rest of the gaps is up to the user ripping the CD. The most common scenario is to append the gap to the previous track. So the gap that is at the end of track one and before track to will be appended to the end of track one. If this is done for all of the tracks, then in order to create the same waveform again on another CD, burn all of the tracks together without gaps at all. This is done because all of the gaps are actually appended to the previous track. The audio experience will be the same, the only difference is that there will be no "negative" time displayed when changing tracks on the CD player.

If a user must produce a CD including the original gaps then they are out of luck in the Linux market, the option (and demand) simply isn't there. They must use Windows and (as far as I know) must use ExactAudioCopy in order to do this.

Here is a neat little tutorial that explains this concept:

http://www.digital-inn.de/exact-audi...s-like-me.html
    Last edited by maxim99; August 20th, 2008 at 09:49 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I realize this thread is old, but people are definitely missing out on Rubyripper as a viable secure ripper. It has both cuesheet and log support, and supports FLAC, mp3 and ogg. Check out my sig for more.
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the "heads up" regarding RubyRipper. I had checked it out in the past because of it's secure ripping and had been disappointed with it's lack of other features, but now if it can handle cuesheets and ripping to a single file, I think this might be my solution. I'm quite excited. I used your tutorial (thanks again ghindo) to install and I'll be testing it out (hopefully) soon. I still wish there was a program that would take an encoded flac image (single-file) and cuesheet and generate indiviual mp3's, one per track. In the mean time though, assuming RubyRipper does indeed now support single-file ripping and cuesheets, I'll just do two seperate rips, one to a single-file flac, and then another to seperate mp3's. I'll post back with what I find!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast