Distro
    Xubuntu

Linux RPG's?

What kind of RPG's are there for linux? I'm talking free, of course

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Linux RPG's?

Last edited by Perfect Storm; February 19th, 2009 at 07:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Give a try to Dofus, it's a really cool MMORPG.
    "Demasiada animalidad desfigura al hombre cultural, demasiada cultura crea animales enfermos."

-- Carl Gustav Jung

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

As previously mentioned, Dofus is a great game. I've been playing for almost a year. I switched servers about 4 months ago. You can get the download here. It has a free area and professions are limited, but if you have the time and patience your character level can keep going.

If you take a look at Dofus, be sure to check out the wiki and the English forum, Imp's Village.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Sweet. I'm looking into Dofus and Planeshift.

I'm also a fan of multiplayer space games, like Subspace/Continuum (not for linux, but runnable in WINE). I've seen a few like XPilot and some others, but are there any that stand out?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm surprised nobody has brought up Regnum Online or Eternal Lands; also Pox Nora is a fun way to spend a good half hour, though it's not a RPG.
    NOT a morning person...

Beans

i have weird text in poxnora, which makes the game unplayable

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm also a fan of multiplayer space games, like Subspace/Continuum (not for linux, but runnable in WINE). I've seen a few like XPilot and some others, but are there any that stand out?
    You could give Vendetta Online a try, it's not exactly free, it will cost you about $9 or $10 dollars a month to play, but it's not to bad, gets better as you get better ships and weapons etc. There is an 8hour free trial available.

http://www.vendetta-online.com/h/welcome.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What is involved in porting a typically Windows-only game to Linux? I give alot of credit to all those who have developed games (especially RPGs) under GPL but I would really like to play games such as Final Fantasy XI, Elder Scrolls, WoW, and others. Is it a matter of not being able to alter the source code and therefore can't convert it to Linux? Are the game manufacturers not seeing a market for Linux games? Are they under contract with Microsoft to be proprietary (ie Halo only on XBox, not PS or Nintendo)? I'm curious to know.

Beans

Usually it's just a matter of the developer using heavily Windows-based game tools, which makes the game hard to port, and a lack of willingness to commit the necessary resources to create a Linux port.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast