Thread: Just tried openSUSE 10.2

Beans

Red face Just tried openSUSE 10.2

I have to say I am impressed!

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: Just tried openSUSE 10.2

I've really been impressed by Novell's offerings consistently. It's that god-awful package manager that has thrown me off and turned me to something else every time. Have they fixed that?

Also, how is driver support and so forth in this new release? I look forward to testing it.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"- Optimus Prime

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant1988 View Post
    I've really been impressed by Novell's offerings consistently. It's that god-awful package manager that has thrown me off and turned me to something else every time. Have they fixed that?

Also, how is driver support and so forth in this new release? I look forward to testing it.
    admittedly I didn't get connected to the internet but I was very impressed...can't give much more details then an initial evaluation.

The hardware detection and drivers are improved first time I have been able to install without event...no autodetect on the internet, lack of set-up was completly lack of knowledge on my part....I am sure it is simple....very impressed over all.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

My experience is that it's usually as simple as turning it on.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant1988 View Post
    My experience is that it's usually as simple as turning it on.
    not sure why it didn't work for me....but it has been an odd distro day for me today

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    admittedly I didn't get connected to the internet but I was very impressed...can't give much more details then an initial evaluation.

The hardware detection and drivers are improved first time I have been able to install without event...no autodetect on the internet, lack of set-up was completly lack of knowledge on my part....I am sure it is simple....very impressed over all.
    Shame on you for supporting the evil empire

Suizy

Beans

I am very slightly impressed too, but also dissappointed by the lack of working internet. I can fix this though. It appears polished, but I see Linux Mint or Edgy as being more polished in my book. Opensuse 10.2 seems too much like Xandros or Linspire look-wise.

Look is a subjective thing, but the distro was not as slow as I thought it would be.

It makes sense to use Suse as you may come full circle to it. I would use the other distros anyday of the year over Suse, but you have to give props were props are due.

Dreamlinux is potentially another distro I may try for its look and debian heritage.
    My favorite distros: Archbang / Manjaro / Sabayon
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, ZorinOS, Vectorlinux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I installed it yesterday (KDE) after playing with the Live DVD for a few days.

So far so good, got everything working - network, 3d drivers, sound, scanner, printer, codecs and beryl.

Only complaint so far is how long the YAST software management takes to open, in comparison Synaptic is blazingly fast!

Beans

One thing I do like about OpenSUSE is it's a lot easier to connect and authenticate against Active Directory with.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    not sure why it didn't work for me....but it has been an odd distro day for me today
    Well, I've had multiple distributions fail to ACTIVATE my eth0 port. So it was just a matter of going in and turning it on by hand, never had to do it again after that.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast