Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple Intel Hardware - Dedicated Forum?

Beans

Re: Apple Intel Hardware - Dedicated Forum?

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    If this were a subforum of a general Apple one--Apple PPC/ Apple Intel, I don't see how that would hurt anyone.
    That will lead to duplication of resources and people will also end up posting in the wrong forums.

I can already see intel users following the ppc posts and trying implement them. downloading ppc versions of the iso images etc

The posts in there make no distinction between PPC and what is to be Intel possible posts.

It belongs in the x86 forums as that is their arch. their bios and boot is different but then people with x86 also have differences. With the above argument we should create a x86 nvidia, ati, via, raid etc forums to cater for the differences in intel setups.

Either way it does not matter to me as i dont own a mac but if i did i would know where to look.

Beans

Judging by the number of Apple Intel users that get directed to the Apple PPC forum (from the x86 forum) it's not that obvious to many Ubuntu users that some Apple machines have x86 arch. Also the attached image has some amazing figures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I've mentioned this before but and Apple Forum would be nice. Though I understand why developers want to keep types of hardware together, there will probably always be items that will stay Apple:

HFSplus
    keyboard functioning
    Apple Mice
    iPod

It would be nice, thank you.

Beans

I don't want to harp on about this, but if a moderator moves this post to the Apple PPC forum, then what chance have new Apple Intel Mac owners got without a little more guidance?
    Last edited by grazie; February 16th, 2007 at 12:55 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grazie View Post
    I don't want to harp on about this, but if a moderator moves this post to the Apple PPC forum, then what chance have new Apple Intel Mac got without a little more guidance?
    Maybe that post shouldn't have been moved... but how do you know that the op in question is running intel?
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

In the post, the user says they have a Macbook Pro. All Macbook Pros have Intel Duo chips. In fact they were the first machines released in the new transition towards x86 architecture. (The equivalent notebook prior to the switch was called a Powerbook.)

In any case, I've now been convinced that having a dedicate Apple sub-forum (with x86 and PPC sub-sub-forums?) would be a good idea.

Beans

We are reviewing our decision and are considering adding this forum.
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Hidden!

Section has been made avilable.This will allow mac-tel users to post their hardware issues http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=211
    Last edited by John.Michael.Kane; February 16th, 2007 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Updated link.
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans

Apple intel users rejoice.. http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=211

This is a trial run for a few months, if the forum doesn't keep busy enough we'll merge the posts back into the mainstream areas.
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

Thanks ubuntu-geek and everyone else involved. Well done! Would some moderators mind moving all/some of the current Apple Intel threads to the new fourm? I'll volunteer if necessary. The only other thing that would be good is to have Apple PPC Users and Apple Intel Users next to each other if possible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast