Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Beans

Smile Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by regomodo View Post
    Ok. It was scanning itself and it know has downloaded fully.

I now have a knew problem
    Code:
    ruby debcopy -l ~/UbuntuRepos/ ~/UbuntuDVDs/ubuntu0
    doesn't work. I get

I have ruby installed. Anyone with ideas?
    Check out Step 2 again:
    cp /usr/share/doc/debpartial/examples/debcopy.gz ~
    and
    gunzip ~/debcopy.gz
    When debpartial is installed you get debcopy too. But you must extract it. If you want to place it in your /bin folder (it's in your command path so it will activate every time) that's an option. To place it in your /bin folder extract it like this:

Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/doc/debpartial/examples/debcopy.gz /bin
    Code:
    sudo gunzip /bin/debcopy.gz
    Please note: this solution is untested. If it fails, let me know.
    Last edited by BobSongs; February 4th, 2008 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Spelling, grammatical and coding errors corrected.

Beans

Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by cezar View Post
    @regomondo

try this > "http://www.howtoforge.com/dvd_images_of_ubuntu_repositories" > "6 About the script 'debcopy' "
    cheers! That appears to have worked

@ BobSongs - yeah. i appeared to had jumped the gun there. pretty sure i started the download early in the morn/late at night at rejoined after the downloads.
    Last edited by regomodo; July 14th, 2007 at 12:32 AM.
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Beans

Nice tutorial - very good idea indeed!

I just wanted to mention however that i'm running feisty and by adding:
    deb file:/home/[USER NAME HERE]/UbuntuRepos ./
    to my repo list didn't do much. It still downloaded the packages from Ubuntu's servers. I had to add the following instead... And now it installs from my local mirror beautifully!

deb file:/home/[USER NAME HERE]/UbuntuRepos/ feisty main multiverse restricted universe
    deb file:/home/[USER NAME HERE]/UbuntuRepos/ feisty-security main multiverse restricted universe
    Last edited by xfile087; July 15th, 2007 at 03:07 PM.
    Desktop: AMD 4200 64+ X2 - 4GB ram - nVidia 8600GT (512mb ram) - Ubuntu 8.04 / Win XP (Games) - Mac Mini - CD 1.6ghz - 1GB RAM - 80GB HD
    Laptop: MacBook Pro - 2.4ghz C2D - 15.4 glossy - 200GB HD - 4GB RAM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xfile087 View Post
    Nice tutorial - very good idea indeed!

I just wanted to mention however that i'm running feisty and by adding:

to my repo list didn't do much. It still downloaded the packages from Ubuntu's servers. I had to add the following instead... And now it installs from my local mirror beautifully!
    Excellent. I'll add that to this tutorial.

As you can tell it is a patchwork of various efforts across the net. In the tutorial proper I make no claims of any originality. I'm just trying to consolidate info I've found here and there. Most of the work is ensuring everything still works, updating it for the most recent Ubuntu version and keeping the formatting to look good.
    Last edited by BobSongs; July 2nd, 2008 at 05:44 PM. Reason: spelling corrections.

Beans

Good evening, or morning, depending on which side of the pond you are on!

I am 1 billion percent interested in creating my own AMD64 repository, as some others are doing right now.

I am trying to download everything using wget-1.10.2b, which is an X86 binary. Am I correct in saying that this tutorial is based on a Linux-only method? The program that was recommended for me to download (points to Wget) is hardly intuitive. Has anyone used Wget in an WinXP environment yet? If so, would you kindly post your complete method, perhaps using a real example of a repository you were successfully able to mirror?

For now, please let me know how to configure Wget. I wish some of the brilliant programmers could at least try to write decent docs for the proggies they make.

Regards,

CC

Beans

Wink Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
    ...I am 1 billion percent interested in creating my own AMD64 repository, as some others are doing right now.

I am trying to download everything using wget-1.10.2b, which is an X86 binary. Am I correct in saying that this tutorial is based on a Linux-only method? ...
    Greetings fellow Canadian;

I'm aware of wget being part of the binaries under Linux and can be acquired and used in Windows and the Mac OS. The command is fairly simple: wget blah.

I believe you can get a bit more information on how to start using wget from this particular thread. Combine that with the data in my tutorial and it should reduce the number of challenges you'll face.

[Edit] The FAQs have links to 1) pre-made ISOs for downloading; 2) sites that make these very same DVDs and sell them for a nominal fee. It is indeed an Ubuntu tutorial and with small mods can work easily on mother Debian. Beyond pointing to pre-made ISOs I offer no support for this tutorial outside of Ubuntu. Forgive the chavinism, but trying to get this working in Windows (all 80 million flavors), DOS, Sparx, Sun O/S is so beyond the scope that it staggers the imagination. [/edit]
    Last edited by BobSongs; February 4th, 2008 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Reduced size of original quote.

Beans

Thanks for the link. I have already read this entire thread, all 5 pages of it. That silly readme for Wget is 256kb long! For something that is a simple command line, a 256kb help file? I will try to sort the help file out, and if I continue to be confuzzled, I will respond. I think inclusion of the Windows version of Wget, and how it should be configured, is a wise thing to do. Some of us have been in transition for a very long time, for this very reason - no local repository. Cheers!

NOTE: Ack! Something rather obvious has slipped through the cracks here. Where are the official repository web site addressess? As you can recall, I am still using WinXP (dislike it entirely), so I am not able to use an automated process to download deb packages like within Ubuntu.. I am using an AMD64 architecture, and have already confirmed compatibility with the rest of my rather barebones white box. Wget needs to be told where to go to get the deb packages, right?

CC
    Last edited by CrazyCanuck; July 17th, 2007 at 03:21 PM.

Beans

Smile Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
    <snip>NOTE: Ack! Something rather obvious has slipped through the cracks here. Where are the official repository web site addressess? As you can recall, I am still using WinXP (dislike it entirely), so I am not able to use an automated process to download deb packages like within Ubuntu.. I am using an AMD64 architecture, and have already confirmed compatibility with the rest of my rather barebones white box. Wget needs to be told where to go to get the deb packages, right?</snip>
    I have my own issues with Windows XP, such as that box that appears asking if XP can search the MS website for drivers when a new part is connected... then NEVER finds anything. I hear it works now in Vista... but I've drawn the line with Windows XP.

With each new version I keep telling myself I'm just wasting my time. Now the switch is complete; our home operating system is Linux/Mac OS.

As to the locations of the source files, here's the basic web address:

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/

Browse until you find what you're looking for.

But I have a question: why do you want the repositories on DVD? They are not required if you have a high-speed Internet connection.
    Last edited by BobSongs; July 20th, 2007 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Gramatical and spelling corrections.

Beans

Arrow Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

And now, the moment you've been waiting for!

It's time to do a breakdown of the debmirror command.

--nosource
    Don't include the source files. This helps reduce the download amount to around half.

-m or
    --md5sums
    This feature slows things down a bit. It's a give and take here. We lose speed but we're ensured of accurate downloads. You can turn this off to speed things up a tiny bit. The man page describes this switch as paranoid and too slow.

--passive
    Download in passive mode. I think there are four people in the world who know what this means. If you bump into one they'll let you know, and you'll let me know. In the mean time, I keep it in because it works right with it in there.

--host=archive.ubuntu.com
    This is the basic web address where the files we want are located. In this case the whole address is: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ You can surf you way there. You won't find much except...

--root=ubuntu/
    The root folder. This folder on archive.ubuntu.com contains the files we're looking for.

--method=ftp
    http is slightly faster than the ftp option. The tutorial suggests the file transfer protocol.

--progress
    Displays the hashmarks ##### that indicate the download progress. Useful to ensure the downloading is still continuing.

--dist=lucid,lucid-security,lucid-updates,lucid-backports
    The distribution. The tutorial will always be based on the latest Long Term Edition. Modify this to meet your distribution's needs.

--section=main,restricted,universe,multiverse
    These are the different divisions available. Main, for example, has the main elements of the Ubuntu installation. You won't find restricted software in main.

--arch=i386
    The architecture the repository files were designed for. The default is i386, but can be modified for other systems, such as: amd64, hppa, ia64, powerpc or sparc depending on availability.

~/UbuntuRepos
    The location where debmirror downloads the remote mirror locally. This can be modifed to any desired folder.

--ignore-release-gpg
    This switch stops the command from failing (dropping to a command prompt) if the 'Release.gpg' file is missing.

--timeout=seconds -t 120
    Specifies the timeout to use for network operations (either FTP or rsync). Set this to a higher value if you experience failed downloads. Seen here are 120 seconds. (Thanks, Jocose! Jocose was kind enough to offer this clever tidbit after feeling the urge to wander through pages and pages and pages of man files. This nifty feature can be built into your command in case you get a drop out at, say midnight only to discover 8 hours later that you've only got 30 Mb's worth of files and 8 hours wasted. Depending on your drop-out times adjust this number accordingly.)

The chances this stuff's actually useful to you are... well, close to nil. But it was fun researching it all and... as much as I'd like to be on Ubuntu's payroll... I probably won't see a dime. Then again: I'm not too sure how pleased they are that I'm letting everyone know how to download a boat-load of files from their servers.

So happy downloading.
    Last edited by BobSongs; January 25th, 2011 at 11:48 PM. Reason: changes to reflect newer distributions and removing older ones no longer supported.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have found an ftp site to download the ISOs for Dapper, but they are located at ftp://ftp.leg.uct.ac.za/pub/linux/ub...-packages-dvd/ and are only downloading at 29kb/s on my ultra fast university connection.
    Anyone know if there is a European location where I can download repository ISOs?

(Reason for asking: I can usually download 1Mb/s at work, but only via XP. Broadband is sadly not currently an option at home.)

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast