Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

well i'm glad i found this as a few weeks back i could not for the life of me get kubuntu to access the net to save my life, if i had this dvd set before it could have saved me mega amounts of headaches. with that being said thank you for making such a clear tutorial, you .

is there an easy way i could merge the PLF to the Commercial Repo. ? i take the answer is no, because if it was easy then ya would have incuded answer in tutorial?

also i'm at step 3 currnetly and all is going well so far, expect me back if i have problems, and even if i don't i will be back to report how all went.

un related but have any of you had adept remove files it is not supposed to? i went to uninstall a few things like say 3 or 4 then i hit commit and all the sudden it is nuking the kde packes(517 items it said to remove)

other question is Dapper worth switching to, i had edgy on my machine for like 8 months i liked it better then feisty, so i'm wondering is dapper going to have an edge on the others(others = edgy or feisty) in the stability department ? that is the way i'm leaning i got the install cd for dapper but just want the opinion of somebody who has had more experience with it then i
    Last edited by aboutTOpullmyhairout; July 28th, 2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: derp de derp!!!! i answered the plf=medibuntu question

Beans

is there an easy way i could merge the PLF to the Commercial Repo. ? i take the answer is no, because if it was easy then ya would have included answer in tutorial?
    Exactly. Your question is answered more or less in FAQs (Q3) at the bottom of the tutorial.

Any attempt to mingle repositories will be catastrophic. You would hate to lose 3 days worth of downloading in order to download the Canonical into the same folders. Very disappointing. Avoid this at all costs.

unrelated but have any of you had adept remove files it is not supposed to? i went to uninstall a few things like say 3 or 4 then i hit commit and all the sudden it is nuking the KDE packages (517 items it said to remove)
    I don't use adept so I've never gotten errors with it.

other question is Dapper worth switching to, i had edgy on my machine for like 8 months i liked it better then feisty, so i'm wondering is dapper going to have an edge on the others(others = edgy or feisty) in the stability department ? that is the way i'm leaning i got the install cd for dapper but just want the opinion of somebody who has had more experience with it then i
    Well. Dapper has stability. That's guaranteed. It's been developed and tweaked and it's not new. However there are few new packages added to the repositories.

I just installed Feisty Fawn (skipped Edgy Eft completely). Going through the list of new packages... WOW!! So much is new. So there's the trade-off. You may lose some stability but you will gain a lot of new and newer software. You might lose access to certain packages you're used to (depending on your familiarity with Linux--you could compile from source everything you miss). It's a matter of trade-offs.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by BobSongs; February 4th, 2008 at 07:18 AM.

Beans

hi,

say i have the dvd repos for feisty, how could i update my repo without downlaoding again all files but only those has update on it?

thx,

Daniel

Beans

Wink Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by adinugro View Post
    hi,

say i have the dvd repos for feisty, how could i update my repo without downlaoding again all files but only those has update on it?

thx,

Daniel
    Open the Terminal (Applications → Accessories → Terminal) and go to the folder where you initially ran debmirror (by default: your home folder) and run the command in Step 3 again. This only makes an incremental update consuming roughly 10 minutes instead of 25 hours.

Beans

AptOnCD now also has the possibility to download the repositories. What do you think of that?
    And what about including most of the functionality discussed in this thread in AptOnCD? What would that sound like to you people?

Cheers

Beans

Red face Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by ftonti View Post
    AptOnCD now also has the possibility to download the repositories. What do you think of that?
    And what about including most of the functionality discussed in this thread in AptOnCD? What would that sound like to you people?

Cheers
    Well. I was unaware of Apt-on-CD was able to download entire repositories. Upon investigation it looks like this is true.

Guess it's time to tear down this tutorial, huh?

So: people: install Apt-on-CD from the Ubuntu repositories and you're off and running.

I'll leave this tutorial up for a while as people get used to Apt-on-CD. Then I'll request it be removed from the Tutorials dept.

Thanks all.
    Last edited by BobSongs; August 24th, 2007 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Added an emoticon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

please dont take it down... what harm can it cause staying up... i constantly reference it for syntax and whatnot... and since i already have the repos downloaded, i am not looking forward to switching to apt on cd anytime...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nythain View Post
    please dont take it down... what harm can it cause staying up... i constantly reference it for syntax and whatnot... and since i already have the repos downloaded, i am not looking forward to switching to apt on cd anytime...
    My word. Well. I'm glad to hear that you... and I imagine others... are referencing this tutorial.

While there are not many posts I perceive that the tutorial is fairly clear and doesn't require much in the way of further explanation. That's encouraging.

Excellent: I'll keep it up and running, and regularly attended. Questions? Fire away! I suppose one nice thing about this particular tutorial is: it is all done at the command line. If XWindows is down and broken one could access this site, and follow the tutorial using the command-line browser lynx and successfully complete their task. No doubt there's even a way to burn DVDs from the command-line too.

Still, bit of a mental stretch to believe someone would do this. Nevertheless the tutorial will remain alive and well. For those wishing to use AptOnCD: you have my approval. For those who want to do this simply from the command-line: the tutorial remains alive until the board insists AptOnCD has made it completely redundant.
    Last edited by BobSongs; March 8th, 2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: corrrected spelling mistakes and adjusted formatting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Smile Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Ei Bobsong!
    No need to tear down this tutorial, i think. Even if there's apt-on-cd, some people may still have a need for this tutorial. After all, linux is about choice and this tutorial provides another option for downloading the repository besides the apt-on cd.

cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Please don't remove or stop maintaining this HowTo, it does a better job than APTonCD.

I did notice that they seem to have found a solution to one of the problems here...

As noted in APTonCD's release notes, a file called README.diskdefines in the discs root fixes some detection issues with APT.

Code:
    #define DISKNAME  Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty Fawn" - Release i386
    #define TYPE  binary
    #define TYPEbinary  1
    #define ARCH  i386
    #define ARCHi386  1
    #define DISKNUM  1
    #define DISKNUM1  1
    #define TOTALNUM  0
    #define TOTALNUM0  1
    I tried Googling for more info about this file, but without success so far.

Hope this helps.

Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast