Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Beans

Lightbulb Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

thank you for explaining this all in one place and clear..=D>
    Last edited by branquito; August 19th, 2008 at 01:18 PM.

Beans

Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

I successfully burn my DVDs thanks to this tutorial.

But I have a problem: Synaptic doesn't show the packages contained in the DVDs. I could update the whole system, but I can't install new packages of universe, since they don't appear in Synaptic. And it doesn't work with apt-get.

By the way, I had to add the option -joliet-long to mkisofs, otherwise it didn't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Achille View Post
    I successfully burn my DVDs thanks to this tutorial.

But I have a problem: Synaptic doesn't show the packages contained in the DVDs. I could update the whole system, but I can't install new packages of universe, since they don't appear in Synaptic. And it doesn't work with apt-get.
    Have you kept the files on your HDD, if you have and don't mind keeping them there (after all you will probably want to update them once a week or so) why don't you tell apt where they are stored on your HDD. Bobsongs explained how to do that in the tutorial.

When I finally get my Hardy set downloaded that's how I will be doing it and just burning the dvd's for friends with a slow net connection.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans

Finally, I've redone all the procedure since point 3) of the tutorial. I've used the terminal (sudo apt-cdrom add) instead of Synaptic to add the DVDs, and now IT WORKS!

Thank you very much for this so helpful tutorial!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Achille View Post
    Finally, I've redone all the procedure since point 3) of the tutorial. I've used the terminal (sudo apt-cdrom add) instead of Synaptic to add the DVDs, and now IT WORKS!

Thank you very much for this so helpful tutorial!
    I'm not surprised to hear things work better from the command prompt.

I've worked quite well in the DOS days. So the command prompt does not frighten me at all.

Glad you found it useful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by BobSongs
    9. Pointing Apt locally
    This is a bit more involved (not for beginners at all).

It is possible to use the files you've downloaded as your own repository for installing new software and for system updates. But this will only work well if you keep these files up-to-date. If not, you will fall behind in security updates.

With that out of the way let's proceed. Enter the following code in the terminal:
    [/FONT]
    Code:
    cd ~/UbuntuRepos && dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null > Packages && gzip Packages && cd ~
    This creates the necessary files for apt to know what is in your local repositories.

Once completed insert the following into your sources.list file:
    Code:
    deb file:/home/[USER NAME HERE]/UbuntuRepos/ hardy main multiverse restricted universe
    Code:
    deb file:/home/[USER NAME HERE]/UbuntuRepos/ hardy-security main multiverse restricted universe
    (Thanks, xfile087)

NOTE: Don't forget these two things:

1. modify these lines for feisty and gutsy
    2. put hash marks (#) before each Internet repository line you no longer require. Example:

Code:
    # deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
    Hi Bob.

I have come across a slight problem with pointing apt locally. I have downloaded the complete Hardy set for all the repos listed in the tutorial and have them stored on my Seagate external hdd. Now the problem is no matter how I adjust the code to point to my Seagate hdd so I can scan it so apt knows whats there it cannot see it telling me it cannot see the Seagate hdd. If I go to "Places" the Seagate hdd is listed and I can see the repos without any problem.

I have transfered all the files to my laptop and everything seems fine as long as the files are on the machine. I will keep trying but at the moment it appears as though I have to transfer all the files to each machine I have and update each machines new repository set manually.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans

-----k3lt01
    i believe your external drives will not automatically be mounted on boot. after you go to "places" your drives are then mounted and thus usable by apt.

i think what you need to do is add an entry in your /etc/fstab to mount the device on boot time

-----bongsongs
    excellent tutorial and thanks for the updated information. i swear i ran across this tutorial about a year ago it seems, and i have watched it develop since then, wonderful job. i just finally got around to syncing as i set tons of people up with ubuntu and i hate waiting for the downloads each time, now i have a little WD passport external drive with 4 repos...

hardy i386
    hardy x86_64
    intrepid i386
    intrepid x86_64

excellent. i did notice that the command to create the packages.gz file seems unnecessary/time consuming. a packages.gz file already exists in each dists/{disto}/{sub-repo}/binary-{arch}/ folder and is synced with every pull. i skipped that step and everything seems to be working fine. i took the default sources file and just replaced each entry with my local server (i have apache on a dedicated box so no need for file://). not sure but maybe you need that step if you want to make a single entry in the sources.list file as you have directed in the tutorial.

lastly, i have a cron that i run each night to update my repos. i wrote a little bash script that *should* handle *any* ubuntu repository. the script will echo:

$(date) - (dist|arch|local_folder) - SUCCESS

-or-

$(date) - (dist|arch|local_folder) - FAILED: {full stout of debmirror command}

so you can redirect this into a log.

anyone who is interested in the script it is located here:
    (mirror may not always be available):
    (it's also attached to this post):

http://teleport.thruhere.net:8008/LI...nc_ubu_repo.sh

(remember chmod +x or tighter permissions if need be)
    the usage format is:

./sync_ubu_repo.sh {distibution} {architecture} {absolute_local_path}

EXAMPLE if your in the SAME folder:
    (place script in /usr/sbin to use without "./" [execute]):
    (may need "sudo"):

./sync_ubu_repo.sh intrepid amd64 /media/ubuREPO/8.10_INTREPID/x86_64/

EXAMPLE with SBIN + LOG (appends to result.log):

sync_ubu_repo.sh hardy amd64 /media/ubuREPO/8.04_HARDY/x86_64/ >> /home/crons/logs/sync_ubu_repo.sh/result.log

MY EXACT ROOT CRONTAB EXAMPLE (one of four repos):

0 1 * * * /home/crons/./sync_ubu_repo.sh intrepid amd64 /media/ubuREPO/8.10_INTREPID/x86_64/ >> /home/crons/logs/sync_ubu_repo.sh/result.log

that cron runs each night at 1am.

peace
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sweetsinse; September 26th, 2008 at 03:09 PM. Reason: damn you english language!

Beans

Re: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
    Hi Bob.

I have come across a slight problem with pointing apt locally. I have downloaded the complete Hardy set for all the repos listed in the tutorial and have them stored on my Seagate external hdd. Now the problem is no matter how I adjust the code to point to my Seagate hdd so I can scan it so apt knows whats there it cannot see it telling me it cannot see the Seagate hdd. If I go to "Places" the Seagate hdd is listed and I can see the repos without any problem.

I have transfered all the files to my laptop and everything seems fine as long as the files are on the machine. I will keep trying but at the moment it appears as though I have to transfer all the files to each machine I have and update each machines new repository set manually.
    I'm going to assume you modified the lines in /etc/apt/source.list to accurately reflect the exact location of the repositories. So rather than:

deb file:/home/[USER NAME HERE]/UbuntuRepos/ hardy main multiverse restricted universe
    you've got something more like:

deb file:/[PathToLocalRepositories]/ hardy main multiverse restricted universe
    and things are still going wrong. Hmmm.

As mentioned ... somewhere in this thread's 80 billion posts: I don't run Ubuntu on a network. I ... don't even use this tutorial any more because no one I currently know has both Ubuntu and no Internet connection. (But I do keep it as up-to-date as possible.)

So please: log any and all steps you use to resolve the flaws in the tutorial. It'll benefit you because you may confidently trash your own notes and use this forum as your text book. And it'll benefit others when they see a solution to a problem they didn't know they had.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thumbs down Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Hi BobSongs,

Ubuntu Forums is the most impressive I've seen anywhere on the web! The Ubuntu info is comprehensive and staggering, to say the least.

I'm still posting on Save XP with new aliases: XP pwns Vista and XP User. I'm not answering the Trolls (VistaPwns and Kid), just pushing them down into oblivion. You are right, I had some fun with the Larry, Curly and Moe alias.

I sent an email to Galen, requesting that he kill off the Trolls by shutting down InfoWord Save XP blog. Nobody is posting anything except me and the trolls. It is human nature to respond and I don't think anyone is visiting the blog anymore.

You and PocketPenguin are really great debaters!

Regards,
    John Furner
    Last edited by JohnFurner; September 28th, 2008 at 12:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Wink Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

BobSongs, let's see how the trolls handle my new posts!

John Furner
    InfoWorld, Save XP, Sunday, September 28, 2008
    2:34:15 AM

Risks, Cost-Benefits Analysis--The Bottom Line

Why would I want to:
    1. Spend $400 for Vista Ultimate;
    2. Trash $3000 in apps that don't run under Vista
    3. Spend another $3000 to replace my XP apps;
    4. Trash a $2500 XP PC because it can't handle Vista;
    5. Spend another $2500 for a PC to run Vista

That's $11,400 just to have a Vista PC whose performance is about the same as XP, and then face Vista's city dump UI and aggravating UAP. And suppose I buy a new Mobo whose drivers cause serious problems.

It makes smart sense to keep my XP PC until it's Mobo dies.

And good grief, Windows 7 is coming. What will happen to Vista? And will Windows 7 take another 2 years to iron out enough bugs to make it as fast as XP?

I'd rather wait and see what the OS world of competition does with Windows, Linux, and Mac in 2010 or 2011 or even in 2012

Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast