Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Just in case you don't know it, some of you might be interested by APTonCD, it's a graphical tool to create a repository to burn on a CD/DVD (it's in the ubuntu repositories) :
    http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/index.html

Screenshots here :
    http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

Beans

Smile Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by frodon View Post
    Just in case you don't know it, some of you might be interested by APTonCD, it's a graphical tool to create a repository to burn on a CD/DVD (it's in the ubuntu repositories) :
    http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/index.html

Screenshots here :
    http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html
    Oui, merci beaucoup Frodon. Frodon's got a point. While it's not quite the same idea it is still something to have posted in this thread for reference sake.

AptOnCD lets you create a CD- or DVD-R from the .deb files downloaded when installing packages (software). You can spare yourself a lot of downloading time if you create a CD/DVD of your current setup files. AptOnCD does this quite nicely. Just make sure you never clear your downloads before doing this. And I believe Apt-on-CD is now appearing in the repositories.

This tutorial is slightly different in that it allows you to have an image of all available .deb files for a particular flavor of ubuntu.

It's a cool concept and I toyed with the idea of adding a note to the main tutorial. However, this post will do quite nicely.

Last edited by BobSongs; February 4th, 2008 at 06:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

where i find iso repository for dapper or feisty to download ?

can someone yo put on a server?; i am a newbie and i want to take it already done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

sorry to resurrect an old thread but i just want to make sure of something
    im going to attempt this project, and incorporate step 9. Point APT Locally... so here's my questions

1. do i still need to make the iso's as mentioned in steps 4 and 5 or can i skip those steps since i will be installing locally

2. In step 9 you have
    Code:
    cd ~/UbuntuRepos && dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null > Packages && gzip Packages && cd ~

i modified where the repo was downloaded to
    /data/backup/repos/UbuntuRepos
    so should i change your command to read more like
    Code:
    cd /data/backup/repos/UbuntuRepos && dpkg-scannpackages . /dev/null > Packages && gzip Packages && cd /data/backup/repos
    there's not much explanation on what each one of those commands is doing (wich is sorta easy to figure out) or if they have to be run from certain locations... like why the cd ~ at the very end... is that just so the user is back at thier familiar home directory or does it actually serve a purpose???

3. since i changed my download location im assuming in the sources.list i should make it look more like this
    Code:
    deb file:/data/backup/repos/UbuntuRepos ./
    whats the ./ for... am i going to need to change that too???
    A side note on this question... If i download multiple repos (medibuntu/canonical/wine/) they are going to need thier own deb file: entries in sources.list also correct?

sorry to be a pest but i just want to make sure i have all this right BEFORE i download that much stuff

Edit: Well, everything is working great... thanks for this how to... combined with a little crontab research i now update my local repos once a week... so the next time i have to reinstall upgrading will be a snap... and if i ever find myself installing ubuntu on a friends pc without broadband, i can sleep easier knowing that they are up to date also
    Last edited by Nythain; July 10th, 2007 at 06:42 AM.

Beans

Wink Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by cezar View Post
    where i find iso repository for dapper or feisty to download ?

can someone yo put on a server?; i am a newbie and i want to take it already done.

Sorry it took so long to respond. I'm not frequently here because I get so few posts. The tutorial pretty much covers everything.

cezar: the place you're looking to download from is: ftp://ftp.leg.uct.ac.za/pub/linux/ub...-packages-dvd/ and they've got pre-made ISOs for you. Hope that helps. The link was in my FAQ at the bottom of the tutorial.

Beans

Wink Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by Nythain View Post
    sorry to resurrect an old thread
    It's not actually that old. But you're welcome to ask questions.
    but i just want to make sure of something im going to attempt this project, and incorporate step 9. Point APT Locally... so here's my questions

1. do i still need to make the iso's as mentioned in steps 4 and 5 or can i skip those steps since i will be installing locally
    Okay. Good question. The answer is: No. You don't have to. Use the local files to your heart's content. Keep them up-to-date and all will be well. The DVDs are for friends or family with slow connections. You can skip all DVD creation stuff.

2. In step 9 you have
    Code:
    cd ~/UbuntuRepos && dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null > Packages && gzip Packages && cd ~

i modified where the repo was downloaded to
    /data/backup/repos/UbuntuRepos
    so should i change your command to read more like
    Code:
    cd /data/backup/repos/UbuntuRepos && dpkg-scannpackages . /dev/null > Packages && gzip Packages && cd /data/backup/repos
    there's not much explanation on what each one of those commands is doing (wich is sorta easy to figure out) or if they have to be run from certain locations... like why the cd ~ at the very end... is that just so the user is back at thier familiar home directory or does it actually serve a purpose???
    The original tutorial has been repaired. Pointing Apt locally was flawed. Then a member pointed out the correct way to "hack" sources.list and it works perfectly.
    Last edited by BobSongs; February 4th, 2008 at 06:48 AM. Reason: paring down the original post. It was too long and boring.

Beans

hmm. well, it finally finished the download (almost 24hours) but it ended with an error.

I re entered the command for download but it hangs at a message.

Parse Packages and Sources files and add to the file list everything therein
    Shall i just assume it's scanning the ~/UbuntuRepos folder to see what has been downloaded?
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Beans

Ok. It was scanning itself and it know has downloaded fully.

I now have a knew problem
    Code:
    ruby debcopy -l ~/UbuntuRepos/ ~/UbuntuDVDs/ubuntu0
    doesn't work. I get

ruby: No such file or directory -- debcopy (LoadError)
    I have ruby installed. Anyone with ideas?

Beans

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Talking Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

@regomondo

try this > "http://www.howtoforge.com/dvd_images_of_ubuntu_repositories" > "6 About the script 'debcopy' "

@bobsongs

can i put repositories on cd-s ? more friends of mine have a cd-rw, not dvd-rw...how can i do this ?

P.S. thanks a lot for this tutorial and for link...

Best regards...
    Last edited by cezar; July 14th, 2007 at 03:13 PM.

Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast