Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Thread: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Beans

Wink Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

luvr has indeed added soooo much to this thread that he truly deserves the credit here.

I will forever maintain that I've done nothing original. I've merely taken someone else's tutorial and enhanced it for those who want to copy/paste and get the job done.

luvr has an impressive grasp of the Linux system far beyond my extremely limited skills.

But isn't that the beauty of the Linux system? With Windows I was able to pretty much have a handle on most aspects of it. In Linux? One command can have an incredible amount of switches to make it do sooo many things.

So to all who have shared their knowledge and understanding of the software related to this thread: A huuuge thank you is in order. You guys rock. By sharing what you know and understand, you truly carry on the spirit of OpenSource, a concept that took me a few years to grasp but now I embrace enthusiastically.

Beans

Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Hi,
    Please explain step by step how to install debpartial, because this isn't in maverick repositories, and if i download this manually, it has some dependencies ...

(Also is there any program except debpartial?)

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by b.tavakkoli View Post
    Hi,
    Please explain step by step how to install debpartial, because this isn't in maverick repositories, and if i download this manually, it has some dependencies ...

(Also is there any program except debpartial?)

Thanks
    Here is the link to debpartial IN the maverick repositories http://packages.ubuntu.com/hu/maveri...partial-mirror

If you install it with a package installer it 'should' bring in the dependencies.
    ~ It has recently been discovered that research causes cancer in rats. ~

BTW; I'm using Linux Mint (based on Precise) with MATE so modify Q/A accordingly if applicable.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BobSongs View Post
    Download in passive mode. I think there are four people in the world who know what this means. If you bump into one they'll let you know, and you'll let me know. In the mean time, I keep it in because it works right with it in there.
    It was the lingering of not knowing that kept going in my mind. So I found the answer to what "passive" does in debmirror based on what it does in FTP ... In a nutshell it helps get around firewall based connectivity problems when 'you' are NOT the server. So you are right in saying the important part is that "it works" :-)

Check out the definition of "passive" as it related to FTP here at this site. I think they did a pretty good job. It's under the section titled "The Two Types of Data Transfers - Active (PORT) and Passive (PASV)".

BTW; I'm using Linux Mint (based on Precise) with MATE so modify Q/A accordingly if applicable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tg3793 View Post
    Here is the link to debpartial IN the maverick repositories http://packages.ubuntu.com/hu/maveri...partial-mirror

If you install it with a package installer it 'should' bring in the dependencies.
    debpartial and debpartial-mirror are not th same and do not do the same thing. Best to stick with the information in the original post.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro

Ok debpartial and debpartial-mirror ... I stand ... err; sit ... corrected

Beans

*grins*

Yes, the original post does describe how to add debpartial, and yes: it does require a few dependencies. The link is to a .deb file. There's no way around its dependencies.

Beans

hi
    sometime ago i figured out how to start and stop debmirror with crontab because my Internet connection had a free period from 2am to 7am each morning.

below is a pdf file, my best attempt at explaining how i did it, i am by no means an expert at bash, crontab, or debmirror USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

but over the last few months i have downloaded 8.04 i386 and 8.04 amd64 with it and am now starting to download 10.04 i386 and 10.04 amd64 on my connection i can down load around 2 to 2.5 gigs a night.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I have been trying to create a set of DVDs to use to install multiple systems not connected to the internet. I am first trying to get this working using a VM that I have set up on my connected PC, so that I can ensure that it works before burning all of the DVDs.

I followed all of the steps presented and am currently trying to do Step 7 (via the terminal). I ran sudo apt-cdrom add for each of the DVDs and labeled them Disk[1-10]. The update works fine.

When I try to run the upgrade or try to install any new package, I get the error that is shown in this screen capture. I double checked that the files that it is looking for are there in those locations. Does anyone have any idea about what could be causing this?

Beans

Hey everyone, I got this working. Here is what I changed:

debpartial is now much harder to find, having been deprecated because it has no maintainer and hasn't been updated since 2003 (but it appears to still work - let them know if you want to help maintain it!). You can still get a copy of the latest version at:

http://ftp.gnome.org/mirror/cdimage/...30508.1.tar.gz

I also used a for loop to replace the many debcopy statements:
    Code:
    for f in ~/UbuntuDVDs/*; do ruby debcopy -l ~/UbuntuRepos $f; done
    You can do something similar for mkisofs, but need to know the number of discs:

Code:
    for f in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9; do mkisofs -f -J -r -V "Ubuntu 10.04 $f/8" -o ubuntu-10.04-$(date -I)-complete-i386-dvd$f.iso ~/UbuntuDVDs/ubuntu$f; done
    Use maverick in place of lucid for 10.10, and natty in place of lucid for Ubuntu 11.04.

When I ran mkisofs, I got this error for most of the DVDs:

Code:
    genisoimage: Error: ubuntu-dvds/maverick/ubuntu8/pool/main/p/pulseaudio/libpulse-mainloop-glib0_0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu21.1_i386.deb and ubunt\
    u-dvds/maverick/ubuntu8/pool/main/p/pulseaudio/libpulse-mainloop-glib0_0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu21_i386.deb have the same Joliet name
    Joliet tree sort failed. The -joliet-long switch may help you.
    Adding the -joliet-long switch fixed this.

I wanted to create both i386 and amd64 DVDs, so I added to debmirror the switch "--arch=i386,amd64", and ran debpartial twice, once with the switch "--arch=i386" and once with the switch "--arch=amd64", each time with different destination directories.

A note about disk space: the packages themselves take up space, and the final ISO files take up space, but the ~/UbuntuDVDs directories do not take up much space at all (they consist entirely of symbolic links into the packages directory). So in all you only need about twice as much space as the packages, not three times.

I haven't tested the final ISOs yet because my only ISOs produced so far are maverick i386 and I have natty amd64, but I'll post again if there's more to figure out.

--
    Derrick Coetzee
    http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~dcoetzee/
    Last edited by dcoetzee; September 22nd, 2011 at 07:32 PM.

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast