Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by justwarm View Post
    If you don't mind can you please create a debcopy for my usage as i am not familiar with these kinds of works .
    I won't make any guarantees that this will work. I have done some work on debpartial and if, that is IF, you are willing to be a guinea pig you can try this to your hearts content. If you do choose to try it I do want you to let me know what happens either good or bad.

Now I have that disclaimer out of the way I shall continue.

I have attached a tar.gz file named "debpartial.tar.gz" to this post.
    EDIT: I have removed it from here but
    please go to this post for the NEW UPDATED version that also has Blu-Ray compatibility. Note: While DVD-DL has been tested and is known to work Blu-Ray as yet has not been tested. I do not see any problems arising but if you decide to test Blu-Ray you do so at your own risk.

Save it to your desktop, extract-untar to your desktop it and put it in your /usr/bin/ folder, you will need sudo rights to do this and it will over-write your original file.

Then when you get to "Part 4. Divide into DVD-sized portions" of Bobsongs original post I need the code to look like this.
    Code:
    debpartial --nosource --dirprefix=ubuntu --section=main,restricted,universe,multiverse --dist=lucid,lucid-security,lucid-updates,lucid-backports --size=DVD-DL ~/UbuntuRepos ~/UbuntuDVDs
    The blue colour is just to highlight the required modification to your code.

As I said I cannot promise this will work. I haven't tried it and I don't have any need to try it, you asked me to modify it for you. If you choose not to try it that's fine I understand completely. I may give it a go one day when I need to.
    Last edited by k3lt01; July 1st, 2010 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Link to new post with updated debpartial with Blu-Ray added
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
    I won't make any guarantees that this will work. I have done some work on debpartial and if, that is IF, you are willing to be a guinea pig you can try this to your hearts content. If you do choose to try it I do want you to let me know what happens either good or bad.

Now I have that disclaimer out of the way I shall continue.

I have attached a tar.gz file named "DebpartialForDualLayerDVD.tar.gz" to this post. Inside it is the modified source and the resulting .deb file as well. You will need to unpack the tar.gz with the archive manager and then install the .deb with gdebi by double clicking on it. I have tested its installation and it does work.

Then when you get to "Part 4. Divide into DVD-sized portions" of Bobsongs original post I need the code to look like this.
    Code:
    debpartial --nosource --dirprefix=ubuntu --section=main,restricted,universe,multiverse --dist=lucid,lucid-security,lucid-updates,lucid-backports --size=DVD-DL ~/UbuntuRepos ~/UbuntuDVDs
    The blue colour is just to highlight the required modification to your code.

As I said I cannot promise this will work. I haven't tried it and I don't have any need to try it, you asked me to modify it for you. If you choose not to try it that's fine I understand completely. I may give it a go one day when I need to.
    thank you very much for your work. but after installing it when i enter the command "debpartial" it is showing that command is not found . so, i have to manually add debpartial script to /usr/bin folder. after doing this this work fine.
    but there is one more problem that it is showing me that i need 5 dual -layer dvd to burn 32.8 gb . and 9 single layer dvds for the same . while it should take 8 dvds . so , is there any problem ?

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for testing this, I will take a look at the bug you found and see what I come up with. I think mine installed ok as I already had the version BobSongs links to and it updated it.

With regards to the 5 DVD-DL compared to the 9 DVD that is all about the "safety" ratio within debpartial. It is set at 93% of actual size, that is why a single layer will work at 4.4gb instead of the 4.7gb really available.

32.8/7.9 = 4.1 DVD-DL disks
    32.8/4.4 = 7.45 DVD single layer disks.

I see what you mean, I didn't adjust any settings for the single layer DVD, so I don't know if this is something I have done or if it was already like this. Have you tried the single layer with the old version? What does the old debpartial say it requires?
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for testing this, I will take a look at the bug you found and see what I come up with. I think mine installed ok as I already had the version BobSongs links to and it updated it.

With regards to the 5 DVD-DL compared to the 9 DVD that is all about the "safety" ratio within debpartial. It is set at 93% of actual size, that is why a single layer will work at 4.4gb instead of the 4.7gb really available.

32.8/7.9 = 4.1 DVD-DL disks
    32.8/4.4 = 7.45 DVD single layer disks.

I see what you mean, I didn't adjust any settings for the single layer DVD, so I don't know if this is something I have done or if it was already like this. Have you tried the single layer with the old version? What does the old debpartial say it requires?

yea. i have also tried the previous version but both is showing same thing . so,i am confused .
    according to bobsongs tutorial i need 8 dvds but debpartial is showing me that i need 9 dvds . so , it is creating me a confusion . so, should i continue with debpartial ?

Beans
    Distro

If you want DVD-DL then you will need to use the modified file, if you are happy to go back to DVD single layers then you will end up using one disk more than you need to. It is up to you. Single layer DVDs are cheap to buy, they are in Australia anyway, while DVD-DLs are still quite expensive in comparison.

I must thank you because even though I probably wont use DVD-DLs, I probably wont use single layers either, you have provided me with another project to use as a learning experience. I will keep working on this to get the bug(s) sorted out. If you keep trying DVD-DLs please keep us informed with how you go and I will work on the script from the feedback you provide.

If anyone else has some feedback for me or hints please let me know and I will see what I can do.

If we can get DVD-DLs working properly I will move onto Blu-Rays.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you want DVD-DL then you will need to use the modified file, if you are happy to go back to DVD single layers then you will end up using one disk more than you need to. It is up to you. Single layer DVDs are cheap to buy, they are in Australia anyway, while DVD-DLs are still quite expensive in comparison.

I must thank you because even though I probably wont use DVD-DLs, I probably wont use single layers either, you have provided me with another project to use as a learning experience. I will keep working on this to get the bug(s) sorted out. If you keep trying DVD-DLs please keep us informed with how you go and I will work on the script from the feedback you provide.

If anyone else has some feedback for me or hints please let me know and I will see what I can do.

If we can get DVD-DLs working properly I will move onto Blu-Rays.
    i think you can move onto blu-rays as your previous work was succefull. i created 5 dual-layer dvds with your script . but there was only one problem which i have previously said you .
    but now i am facing another problem please check this thread "http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...47#post9521247 "
    Last edited by justwarm; June 28th, 2010 at 03:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

after adding medibuntu and lucid lynx 's repository locally when i update packagelists via synaptic this is giving this error message "W: GPG error: file: lucid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783"
    what is the meaning of this & what should i do now ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783"
    You’re missing the Medibuntu key.

You can install it like so:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring
    (In fact, you could leave out the “--allow-unauthenticated” option, and confirm that it is OK to install the package without authentication when the system asks you.)

Then, refresh your software repository indexes again:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    The message should be gone now.

Also, if you’re using “debmirror” to maintain a local mirror of the Medibuntu repository, you will have to update the “trustedkeys.gpg” keyring as well. The easiest way to accomplish this, is with the command that I showed you in an earlier post:
    Code:
    sudo apt-key exportall | gpg --no-default-keyring --keyring trustedkeys.gpg --import

Beans
    Distro

Luvr has got you covered with your other question. His understanding is much better than mine so I will trust what he says without adding anything further.

i think you can move onto blu-rays as your previous work was succefull. i created 5 dual-layer dvds with your script .
    I meant when I can get it to install properly I will go onto Blu-Ray disks. I didn't change anything apart from adding 2 lines so I want to understand why the installation location has changed from /usr/bin/ to /, yes it does install but the location has changed and I didn't ask it to. So once I have that figured out I will move onto Blu-Ray disks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

how can i merge medibuntu & canonical commercial repo on a single cd ?

Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast