Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Hi Geo, its not a bug it seems to be quite deliberate actually. I tried the exact same things ages ago when Gutsy was in Beta (or maybe it was Hardy I can't remember but I did post about it here). Anyway don't bother trying to download the repos for a non production version cause it wont work because they either use another format and/or are incomplete anyway because of the continuous updating that is happening.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

k3lt01, thanks for the info. Then I guess I really should wait Jaunty goes official. For the time being I will update my repos from Intrepid.

About duplicate packages in current repo.

How about I setup an Apache server and host the current repo locally? Then I debmirror from that server. So my question is, will my new repo excludes those old duplicate packages, and results a new repo w/o the dupes?

Beans

Smile Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by Geochelone View Post
    k3lt01, thanks for the info. Then I guess I really should wait Jaunty goes official. For the time being I will update my repos from Intrepid.

About duplicate packages in current repo.

How about I setup an Apache server and host the current repo locally? Then I debmirror from that server. So my question is, will my new repo excludes those old duplicate packages, and results a new repo w/o the dupes?
    Let's see if I've got this correctly. You want to host Intrepid's repositories on your Apache server. If you place your current Intrepid repository folders on the server and run debmirror from there, only the latest updates should be downloaded and added to that set of files. I'm not clear on what "those old duplicate packages" means, exactly. But I imagine you're not wanting a duplicate set of repository files. Make sure debmirror knows where to place the files: in the exact name as the folder that has the files (/UbuntuRepos, by default.)

I agree with Kelt03 on this one, Geochelone. The Jaunty repositories are most likely off limits until a stable version is determined. Beta testers can download and upgrade. But debmirror enthusiasts will hit a snag on that one. At this point it really isn't worth the effort. But I will post a note on the tutorial when the release happens: Don't try to run debmirror when the new release is freshly out. That is a frenzy time and it means slower downloads for everyone else. I use the Canadian mirror, and I currently only maintain the tutorial. I no longer need it. But I feel it's important to maintain.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mehashi View Post
    Thank you BobSongs!

This guide is so well written, even I could follow it! I have been wanting to do this for a friend with no internet and now I know how, Thank you!
    I'm not a faster learner. I'm not. And I've seen tutorials where authors assume we regularly compile our kernels. Sometimes important steps are either skipped or impatiently referred to ("now recompile your kernel with these switches turned off")

My view is that tutorials should take a person by the hand and walk them through such that even a Windows user could, if not too impatient, actually succeed in completing it and maybe even learn a bit on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehashi View Post
    Your section on pointing apt locally will really help for me with my laptop as well, as it has no wireless and my router is nearly always full, now I can just put the debs on there and not worry anymore!

Thanks again for a well written guide!
    Domo arigato!
    ^_^
    A big "thank-you" from all who've helped put this together. Don't forget that repository DVDs can also be purchased from a couple of suppliers. From time to time I check to see if they are still making these available. (I don't get any profit from those sales.)

Beans
    Distro

From man dpkg-scanpackages:
    If more than one version of a package is found only the newest one is included in the output (1). If they have the same version and only differ in architecture only the first one found is used.

So I did host Intrepid repo from Apache server, and debmirror it in hope it will exclude everything except the newest (1) version of packages. However, it's not the case with me. There are tons of old version of packages, and debmirror still download them. Luckily it's from 127.0.0.1 and thus blazing fast and unmetered.

Example:

Code:
    ! Package bind9-doc (filename /home/geochelone/Desktop/Repositories/Official/pool/main/b/bind9/bind9-doc_9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubuntu3.1_all.deb) is repeat but newer version;
       used that one and ignored data from /home/geochelone/Desktop/Repositories/Official/pool/main/b/bind9/bind9-doc_9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubuntu2_all.deb !
     ! Package bind9-host (filename /home/geochelone/Desktop/Repositories/Official/pool/main/b/bind9/bind9-host_9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubuntu3.1_i386.deb) is repeat but newer version;
       used that one and ignored data from /home/geochelone/Desktop/Repositories/Official/pool/main/b/bind9/bind9-host_9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubuntu2_i386.deb !
     ! Package bind9utils (filename /home/geochelone/Desktop/Repositories/Official/pool/main/b/bind9/bind9utils_9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubuntu3.1_i386.deb) is repeat but newer version;
       used that one and ignored data from /home/geochelone/Desktop/Repositories/Official/pool/main/b/bind9/bind9utils_9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubuntu2_i386.deb !
     ! Package bind9 (filename /home/geochelone/Desktop/Repositories/Official/pool/main/b/bind9/bind9_9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubuntu3.1_i386.deb) is repeat but newer version;
       used that one and ignored data from /home/geochelone/Desktop/Repositories/Official/pool/main/b/bind9/bind9_9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubuntu2_i386.deb !
     ! Package dnsutils (filename /home/geochelone/Desktop/Repositories/Official/pool/main/b/bind9/dnsutils_9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubuntu3.1_i386.deb) is repeat but newer version;
       used that one and ignored data from /home/geochelone/Desktop/Repositories/Official/pool/main/b/bind9/dnsutils_9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubuntu2_i386.deb !
     ! Package libbind-dev (filename /home/geochelone/Desktop/Repositories/Official/pool/main/b/bind9/libbind-dev_9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubuntu3.1_i386.deb) is repeat but newer version;
       used that one and ignored data from /home/geochelone/Desktop/Repositories/Official/pool/main/b/bind9/libbind-dev_9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubuntu2_i386.deb !
     ! Package libbind9-40 (filename /home/geochelone/Desktop/Repositories/Official/pool/main/b/bind9/libbind9-40_9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubuntu3.1_i386.deb) is repeat but newer version;
       used that one and ignored data from /home/geochelone/Desktop/Repositories/Official/pool/main/b/bind9/libbind9-40_9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubuntu2_i386.deb !
     ! Package libdns43 (filename /home/geochelone/Desktop/Repositories/Official/pool/main/b/bind9/libdns43_9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubuntu3.1_i386.deb) is repeat but newer version;
       used that one and ignored data from /home/geochelone/Desktop/Repositories/Official/pool/main/b/bind9/libdns43_9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubuntu2_i386.deb !
     ! Package libisc44 (filename /home/geochelone/Desktop/Repositories/Official/pool/main/b/bind9/libisc44_9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubuntu3.1_i386.deb) is repeat but newer version;
       used that one and ignored data from /home/geochelone/Desktop/Repositories/Official/pool/main/b/bind9/libisc44_9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubuntu2_i386.deb !
     ! Package libisccc40 (filename /home/geochelone/Desktop/Repositories/Official/pool/main/b/bind9/libisccc40_9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubuntu3.1_i386.deb) is repeat but newer version;
       used that one and ignored data from /home/geochelone/Desktop/Repositories/Official/pool/main/b/bind9/libisccc40_9.5.0.dfsg.P2-1ubuntu2_i386.deb !
    I'm thinking of grep the error output and capture the old version of the packages, then rm all of them in single command. Any idea how to get em?

I do this primarily to shave some space from them, and make my repo tidier lol. It is also a good reason to actually learn to use various commands in achieving our targets. I personally learns a ton just from maintaining the repos. And I feel very good about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Geochelone View Post
    From man dpkg-scanpackages:
    If more than one version of a package is found only the newest one is included in the output (1). If they have the same version and only differ in architecture only the first one found is used.

So I did host Intrepid repo from Apache server, and debmirror it in hope it will exclude everything except the newest (1) version of packages. However, it's not the case with me. There are tons of old version of packages, and debmirror still download them.
    I'm not really in a position to offer an authoritative answser to this issue, but it seems to me that debmirror will download everything from its source repository--including multiple versions of the same package, if they are present. The old package versions will probably get deleted from your local copy only if they are no longer present at the source location.

The dpkg-scanpackages utility will scan your (local copy of the) repository, and rebuild the index file (which lists all packages available in the repository). However, whenever it finds multiple versions of a particular package, it will register only the newest version in the index file.

So, it's not debmirror that will delete old versions of packages (if they're still available at the source location), but it's dpkg-scanpackages that will not add them to the index file.

I, too, have been thinking of creating a list of the older packages, so I could subsequently delete them, but I'm not sure yet how I would do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by billyg View Post
    Nice tutorial. I will create one dvd as soon as
    One? I think its more like 5 dvds from 7.04-Feisty till the current release.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ADDENDUM: Removing Old Package Versions from your Local Repository.

Quote Originally Posted by luvr View Post
    I, too, have been thinking of creating a list of the older packages, so I could subsequently delete them, but I'm not sure yet how I would do it.
    It looks like I found a way to do it after all: ADDENDUM: Removing Old Package Versions from your Local Repository. Be forwarned that it's kind of a quick'n'dirty hack, though. Use at your own risk!

Beans

Thank you so much for your great work

Beans
    Distro

Does Jaunty repo (main, i386) contain only firefox-3.0 and xulrunner-1.9? OMG debmirror wiped other packages and left me with those two packages.

However restricted, multiverse, and universe seem OK though.

;_;

Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast