Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Sat Nav Safe?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Is Sat Nav Safe?

We got a shiny new Sat Nav for Xmas, and whilst it is a wonderful little gadget, the possible implications of using it could be quite scary.

What I'm talking about is the fact that this little box tells a satellite where you are going to, where you've come from, (if you've set a default) where you live and what speed you're moving at. Now, I haven't read the smallprint that comes with the device, but couldn't all this information perhaps have a sinister ulterior use...?

Discuss.
    Last edited by happy-and-lost; February 3rd, 2007 at 06:33 PM.
    Lose all your fears, they're keeping you down.
    Windows-Free since 2nd September 2006

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Is Sat Nav Safe?

Does listening to the radio tell the radio station where you are?

If not, why should listening to GPS signals tell the satellites where you are...??

The biggest danger of satnavs in car is probably being distracted by them

But they are great - we crossed France last summer and didn't even take a map with us - they are very handy for "autoroute" intersections, as well as finding petrol/gas stations...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by happy-and-lost View Post
    We got a shiny new Sat Nav for Xmas, and whilst it is a wonderful little gadget, the possible implications of using it are quite scary.

What I'm talking about is the fact that this little box tells a satellite where you are going to, where you've come from, (if you've set a default) where you live and what speed you're moving at. Now, I haven't read the smallprint that comes with the device, but couldn't all this information perhaps have a sinister ulterior use...?

Discuss.
    I honestly don't think you have any understanding of how satellite navigation works.

It is ONE WAY communication, the devise does not talk back.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I honestly don't think you have any understanding of how satellite navigation works.

It is ONE WAY communication, the devise does not talk back.
    But wasn't Richard Stallman up in arms awhile ago asking people to unhook OnStar Navigation devices from their cars because they could be used to track your location?

Beans

If you bother to read the OnStar Navigation website, you'll notice that the OnStar system incorporates a cellular phone. It can let you make voice calls and can even send you an email.
    And yes, if the OnStar system has a cellular modem (which they do), it could easily track and report back to big brother where you car is all the time.

Normal GPS units DO NOT have a cellular phone / modem.

I did hear somewhere that GPS units do transmit a little initially to download information about overhead satellites. But as I can't remember the source, and as I don't think the source was reliable, I tend to think that a GPS unit is solely passive. Like a normal FM radio.

While a GPS unit will get you from point A to point B, it's been proven many times that a human with a map can navigate a much more efficient route than a GPS unit.
    (So long as the navigator can read maps that is!)
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans
    Hidden!

It doesn't matter because the man is already tracking your every movement via high-definition satellites. Your only recourse is to never look at the sky and hope they lose track of who you are.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

sat nav in cars is basically a GPS hooked up to some mapping software. all the GPS unit does is receive 3(though usually more) timing signals and satellite identifier signals and translates that into coordinates and altitude. it then sends the decoded information to the mapping software which handles the route you take.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    It doesn't matter because the man is already tracking your every movement via high-definition satellites. Your only recourse is to never look at the sky and hope they lose track of who you are.
    Be safe, wear a sombrero outside
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
    Be safe, wear a sombrero outside
    preferrably one with an ubuntu logo on top

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

get a nokia n800, a bluetooth gps and maemo mapper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast