View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 135 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: To those who still have Windows, when can you get rid of it?

Beans

To those who still have Windows, when can you get rid of it?

Here is a slightly different question.

My Internet is covered with Firefox (Which i use in windows also).
    My email client is Thunderbird.
    Crossover drives my office2000 copy (I'll consider OOO once it gets better.
    Its a very good suite right now that deserves lauding, but its still behind Office).
    When I want to game I got Cedega CVS curteosy of Linux Gamers.
    When I need numerical cruching, mathworks provides a Linux version of MATLAB (thank god for cheap software being a college student!)
    BMP provides my MP3 playing capabilities and other things
    K3b provides my burning (I know, I know!!! Its KDE, but I can't find a nicer program Although I heard there is a Nero Linux and since i'm used to Nero on windows I may take a peek
    SCIM provides me with foreign language input for my language classes

But you know what keeps my windows activity on?

INSANT MESSAGE. I can never send a file right...maybe 10% of the time it works~ the other 90% it never does! Also, MSN support is REALLLY weak. I can kind of understand the fact I don't get winks or I can't "nudge" someone...but I can't even use "non standard" emoticons!
    If sending a file via AIM or MSN could be fixed...and get MSN support up to par, then I would wonder why Windows is on my HardDrive. But until then I find myself booting up over and over in windows because I want to send a file to a friend, or because a friend is using many different emoticons that Iwant to see.
    Linux isn't absolutely perfect...I know that. But its dissapointing to see how long the New MSN has been out with no real progress in that (and just file sending in general!)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: For Ubuntu Lovers, what is PREVENTING you from deleting your Windows Partition?

Games and a project I have to do in .NET.
    Didn't we have a similar thread before?

Beans

Re: For Ubuntu Lovers, what is PREVENTING you from deleting your Windows Partition?

To answer your question, magomago, absolutely nothing. I've been windows free for almost a year now. And I know that the issues like the ones you raised won't really be fully absent until enough people make a complete switch away from windows. That's all the more reason to just bear with the difficulties and continue to seek for and push for good solutions, and say goodbye to windows. Or else you and others like you won't ever really be free from it, and the people that follow will continue to have a hard time getting away.

If anyone has suggestions, I encourage you to post them. =)
    Last edited by Arktis; October 5th, 2005 at 03:36 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by YourSurrogateGod
    Games and a project I have to do in .NET.
    Didn't we have a similar thread before?
    Look how many posts I have If there was a similar thread I have no idea

Beans

MSN will never port it's messenger to Linux for obvious reasons. You can always send those files to your friends using bit torrent, E-Mail or another p2p software. I still have a windows partition because I like Sim City 4 and I already paid for Windows XP and am going to use it. Also some times certain multimedia software in Linux is still a little buggy and gets annoying to deal with. Other wise Ubuntu could easily be my only partition.
    Last edited by mstlyevil; October 5th, 2005 at 03:39 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by magomago
    Look how many posts I have If there was a similar thread I have no idea
    Well, it was more of a general question and not particularly aimed at you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Two or three free online games and the fact I can not listen to launchcast plus in linux as it comes free with my ******.Yahoo low end broad band 336kbs isp service. And apperently now AP: Top Stories (Video) does not want to work now because they tink its a Goo Ide to us Win Media. Dam if I had dial up I probably woulnt care lol. Anyways short of someone handing me Vista in the future I will not have that so when XP is unsupported and dead I will definalty be win free. Need a defrag lol..........or less coffee.
    quick program launch left mac type bar

Started by Omnios, December 30th, 2007 11:49 AM

Beans

ePSXe (won't run in Breezy), to install firmware updates, and for CS Source.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Hidden!

nothing proventing me i have no windows partition. linux has all the programs i need.. i only wish i would have found gnu/linux sooner......
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I have b*tched about this before, but the only reason that my WinXP Hardrive (yes, I have XP on its own HD) doesn't have a Linux Distro on it is because I need XP for M$ office, for a College course, and I still like playing Games on the computer during my lack of spare time, and that is not easy to do in Linux. I can't get WINE working, and I lack a credit card, access to a credit card, and the time to fiddle with Cedega.

If it weren't for those 2 things, I would be completely using Linux. As it is, I use Linux 99.99% of the time anyway, since I get all M$ Office stuff that I need to do at school anyway, and I waste my spare time posting in forums like these . . .
    My System | Ubuntu Feisty Fawn (7.04) | AMD Athlon 1700+ | 1.3Gb RAM | 160 Gb HD | nVidia GeForce4 64 Mb
    V.I.S.T.A | Viruses | Infections | Spam | Trojans | Adware
    Proud to be Canadian, eh?

Page 1 of 135 1231151101 ... LastLast