View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 3 of 135 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: To those who still have Windows, when can you get rid of it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: For Ubuntu Lovers, what is PREVENTING you from deleting your Windows Partition?

Quote Originally Posted by magomago
    Also, MSN support is REALLLY weak. I can kind of understand the fact I don't get winks or I can't "nudge" someone...but I can't even use "non standard" emoticons!
    If sending a file via AIM or MSN could be fixed...and get MSN support up to par, then I would wonder why Windows is on my HardDrive. But until then I find myself booting up over and over in windows because I want to send a file to a friend, or because a friend is using many different emoticons that Iwant to see.
    Linux isn't absolutely perfect...I know that. But its dissapointing to see how long the New MSN has been out with no real progress in that (and just file sending in general!)
    Maybe you can run MSN Messenger in wine... see:
    http://wiki.winehq.org/MSN_Messenger_webcam_support
    http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=3179
    Also, Linux is really good, you can't really blame a kernel for Gaim's lacking features...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: For Ubuntu Lovers, what is PREVENTING you from deleting your Windows Partition?

Quote Originally Posted by magomago
    Here is a slightly different question.
    My Internet is covered with Firefox (Which i use in windows also).
    My email client is Thunderbird.
    Crossover drives my office2000 copy (I'll consider OOO once it gets better.
    Its a very good suite right now that deserves lauding, but its still behind Office).
    When I want to game I got Cedega CVS curteosy of Linux Gamers.
    When I need numerical cruching, mathworks provides a Linux version of MATLAB (thank god for cheap software being a college student!)
    BMP provides my MP3 playing capabilities and other things
    K3b provides my burning (I know, I know!!! Its KDE, but I can't find a nicer program Although I heard there is a Nero Linux and since i'm used to Nero on windows I may take a peek
    SCIM provides me with foreign language input for my language classes
    But you know what keeps my windows activity on?
    INSANT MESSAGE. I can never send a file right...maybe 10% of the time it works~ the other 90% it never does! Also, MSN support is REALLLY weak. I can kind of understand the fact I don't get winks or I can't "nudge" someone...but I can't even use "non standard" emoticons!
    If sending a file via AIM or MSN could be fixed...and get MSN support up to par, then I would wonder why Windows is on my HardDrive. But until then I find myself booting up over and over in windows because I want to send a file to a friend, or because a friend is using many different emoticons that Iwant to see.
    Linux isn't absolutely perfect...I know that. But its dissapointing to see how long the New MSN has been out with no real progress in that (and just file sending in general!)
    I've ditched WinXP 4 months ago. I now only use Windows at University, as there is no alternative.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I only have one reason for keeping windows: music software. There are a couple of VST plugins I really need, and I haven't really liked any of the Linux sequencers I've tried.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SilentCacophony
    For me, the only reason to keep Windows around is the lack of commercial support for linux, in general. Some games I like I just can't get to run at a decent speed in linux (or at all,) and sometimes I'll need to access something like Yahoo Messenger to do some some task that clients like gaim don't fully support yet
    Yahoo Messenger is available from Yahoo for Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Me too.
    I can't do without Visual Studio 6.0 and Visual Studio .NET.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

> ... what is PREVENTING you from deleting your Windows Partition?

* as a webdeveloper i use it for testing websites in IE on my notebook which was only sold together with XPhome.

IE testing is the only thing i need windows at all, usally i use ubuntu (dual boot) on my notebook too, on my workstation is ubtuntu only ...

Beans

Nothing havent used windos in ages
    (this post was made from windows at work )
    Edward A Robinson -- www.earobinson.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by snowjunkie
    Me too.
    I can't do without Visual Studio 6.0 and Visual Studio .NET.
    Ever herd of mono? http://www.mono-project.com

Quote Originally Posted by brt
    > ... what is PREVENTING you from deleting your Windows Partition?
    * as a webdeveloper i use it for testing websites in IE on my notebook which was only sold together with XPhome.
    IE testing is the only thing i need windows at all, usally i use ubuntu (dual boot) on my notebook too, on my workstation is ubtuntu only ...
    Im a web application developer. The best way to develop sites is by developing them for firefox then get them to work in IE by using IE in cross over office.
    Last edited by bhursey; October 5th, 2005 at 01:52 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brt
    I use IE in Linux all the time:

http://patrick.spacesurfer.com/ie_wine_install.html
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

I have a Windows partition? That's strange...
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Page 3 of 135 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast