Page 19 of 138 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Beans

Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Quote Originally Posted by jonrkc View Post
    I'm very glad it worked--at least the exclusion part. I was just about to post about the order of the options, when I saw your post quoted above where you'd got it right.
    Thanx again for help. I'm trying to learn this basic stuff as soon as possible, so i did a bit of investigating, instead of just sitting and waiting for someone to do all the work. Hope that soon I'll be able to help someone too

As far as I can see, your /vmlinuz should be there. It's not a special file that tar doesn't know how to handle... That puzzles me. I'll do a little experimenting and see what I can find out.
    Yeah, I don't see the reason why it shouldn't be there, there was nothing in console output that stated different. I'm very interested in the results of your experimenting, so, if you have the time, please post it.

A utility such as partimage which creates a supposedly (!) faithful copy of a partition, will back up every last thing there, and partimage is used for restoration by a lot of people, including myself at least once. I feel uneasy using partimage, though; it's poorly presented to the user and that makes me have doubts, even though many, many swear by it.
    Yes, i've tried PartImage, but didn't got how to unmount / partition...anyway, this approach sounds easier for me. I'll get back to testing PartImage as soon as i learn more about Linux and Ubuntu.

I'd say leave out /proc, /var, and /tmp and keep everything else. Or leave them in.
    Roger that

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

How about this one...

I originally installed Ubuntu 6.06 LTS on a standard IDE drive because I wasn't sure if I was going to completely dump Win XP. I have no decided that I am going to completely kill XP in favor of Ubuntu. I have everything configured exactly how I want it on the IDE drive.

What I'd like to do is backup/restore the data from the IDE drive (ubuntu) onto the drive that my XP installation was on. Here's the catch... the XP drive is an SATA drive. I'm assuming that a backup/restore to the SATA drive would not work because of fstab and Grub.

I'm going to attempt this tonight and was just wondering if anyone had any pointers or if anyone had tried it before. I'm going to follow this guide for backing up the old IDE drive to an external USB. Then I plan on beginning a default Ubuntu installation using the CD. I will partition the drive, let grub do it's thing, and then try to restore. I'm wondering if I should edit fstab before I do the restore though to set the correct / disk and whatnot. Are there any other files I would have to edit?

Beans

One important thing is missing in this great howto, so i feel responsibility to share my recent experience with other newbies, who could get counfused if they get stuck in trying to do what i did just now
    My idea was to backup the whole sys, change the partition table, and then reinstall and revitalise Ubuntu as it was. I did that because i had insufficient space, resulting from giving too little space to Ubuntu, as many newbies do. This is the situation in which this howto should (and must)not be implemented without modifications:
    1. exclude /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab
    this is because new system will have its own mounting patterns, and it will redirect all extracting files in the appropriate locations.

2. install Ubuntu and edit the partition table

3. copy backup archive in / and extract the files

4. now you have to do something to make your sys boot properly - gedit the /boot/grub/menu.lst and enter right informations about your root whereabouts.

5. reboot

This will, hopefully, restore your system in a previous state. It worked for me, though.

P.S. Personally, I think that this is an excellent proof of Linux's flexibility. I'm definitely starting to like Linux more each day

Beans

I have backed up everything as the instructions said and am now trying to recover using my backup. It goes through it for a couple minutes, then gives this error and hangs up 'till giving up:

sys/module/michale_mic/
    tar: sys/module/michael_mic: cannot mkdir: Operation not permitted

Which, I guess clearly means that my exclude didn't work, since sys shouldn't have been backed up. I noticed now at the end of the thread that someone else found that that command didn't exclude for them either, I didn't think to check. Is it possible to still recover from this backup?

Thanks!
    Matthew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by zasdarq View Post
    I have backed up everything as the instructions said and am now trying to recover using my backup. It goes through it for a couple minutes, then gives this error and hangs up 'till giving up:

sys/module/michale_mic/
    tar: sys/module/michael_mic: cannot mkdir: Operation not permitted

Which, I guess clearly means that my exclude didn't work, since sys shouldn't have been backed up. I noticed now at the end of the thread that someone else found that that command didn't exclude for them either, I didn't think to check. Is it possible to still recover from this backup?

Thanks!
    Matthew
    If you have the enough space I'd imagine that you could extract the backup file somewhere else (like /tmp/workingbackup or an external HD) and then delete the files/dirs that you intended to be exluded. Then tar the workingbackup directory and restore it to /.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Heliode View Post
    Exactly! Just make sure you exclude the mounted folder or you'll end up backupping your Windows drive as well!
    Can you maybe explain that to me step by step, as you did it in your how-to
    Since I am a newbie in that area, I don't quiet get it and I don't want to do things the wrong way :/

Also there seems to be an error, if I put
    Code:
    tar cvpjf backup.tar.bz2 / --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tar.bz2 --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys --exclude=/etc/fstab --exclude=/etc/mtab --exclude=/media
    in the terminal it makes a backup of the data from the other hard drives mounted anyways
    Any solution, did I do something wrong?

Thanks in advance
    Flo
    Last edited by Flavian; August 7th, 2006 at 02:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I fixed the problem with the hard drives, by unmounting them totally.
    But it seems as if it ignores the excludes commands totally.

Rightnow it is trying to pack itself, as posted in the howto it should not be!
    What did I do wrong?

Beans

Would anyone with some directory structure knowledge be so kind as to confirm the following exclude syntax?

I'm using 6.06, so the source directory reportedly has to be declared at the end of the statement.

Code:
    tar cvpzf backup.tgz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tgz --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys --exclude=/etc --exclude=/boot --exclude=/dev /
    Here's what i'm trying to do. TestMachine has Ubuntu installed the way I want it (preferences), with the appropriate applications installed.

I want to move my installed proggies and settings over to a whole new machine (intel vs. amd, different IDE structure, etc.) I'm planning on a fresh install of 6.06 on the NewMachine, and then untar the file made by the statement above.

I have tried to identify those directories which would change given a different CPU, memory, storage and Mobo architecture. While I have trust in the underlying HAL of Ubuntu, I'm not 100% sold on a pure drag-n-drop migration.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Question Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

I am running Dapper 6.06 LTS and I want to make a complete backup of my system (without backing up any user folders), so I tried the following command as root:
    Code:
    tar cvpzf "/home/danielcox/Backups/Ubuntu System 2006-8-9.tgz" / --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tgz --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys --exclude=/home
    Oddly enough, tar started running through my home folder partway through the backup, which I specifically told it to exclude. Any ideas?

Thank you,
    Daniel

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by htmlguy716 View Post
    Oddly enough, tar started running through my home folder partway through the backup, which I specifically told it to exclude. Any ideas?
    Same thing here! I don't know why...
    And no one seems to answer here either

Page 19 of 138 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast