Page 52 of 138 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Lightbulb Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

quick question..

i have my /home on a seperate partition, when i do the backup i want to exclude it. my question is when i restore it, will it screw with anything in the /home dir?

Beans

Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Quote Originally Posted by traxtar3 View Post
    quick question..

i have my /home on a seperate partition, when i do the backup i want to exclude it. my question is when i restore it, will it screw with anything in the /home dir?
    If you exclude /home in your backup then when you restore it, it shouldn't touch it at all. I do this myself and it works a treat, plus it's quicker to backup!
    Desktop: AMD 4200 64+ X2 - 4GB ram - nVidia 8600GT (512mb ram) - Ubuntu 8.04 / Win XP (Games) - Mac Mini - CD 1.6ghz - 1GB RAM - 80GB HD
    Laptop: MacBook Pro - 2.4ghz C2D - 15.4 glossy - 200GB HD - 4GB RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Would it be better to use 7z (p7zip) to do this (rather then using tar)?
    This "should" create a smaller backup archive file... correct?
    Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit - IP35-Pro | Q6600@3.3ghz(TRUE [lapped]) | G.Skill 2x2GB | MSI NX8600GT | 150GB WD Raptor ||| NAS - Ubuntu 10.04 - Intel D865GBF | P4 3.0GHz | G.Skill 4x1GB | FX5200-AGP | 3x250GB mdadm Raid5

Beans

Hi all!
    The advice to use a tar.gz or tar.bz2 to restore your system is WRONG!!!
    DON'T TRUST THIS METHOD!!!!
    I followed the instructions and obtained a 4 Gb tar.bz2 file.
    My laptop crashed when I tried to configure virtualbox (another bad chance) and I tired to restore my system by extracting the backup.tar.bz2 as explained at the beginning of the thread.
    Result: it failed in extracting such a huge file and I had to reinstall everything from the beginning.
    Pay attention: DON'T TRUST THE "tar" METHOD TO RESTORE YOUR SYSTEM!!!
    I think I will do an image of my hd and keep it very carefully on a separate hd.........
    Your depserate

H

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by B/-\ssKozz View Post
    Would it be better to use 7z (p7zip) to do this (rather then using tar)?
    This "should" create a smaller backup archive file... correct?
    As far as I know, 7-zip does not preserve file owner and permissions information, which is crucial for a successful restore, and therefore, cannot be used as a replacement to tar:
    http://www.ohloh.net/projects/3769/reviews

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by herger View Post
    Hi all!
    My laptop crashed when I tried to configure virtualbox (another bad chance) and I tired to restore my system by extracting the backup.tar.bz2 as explained at the beginning of the thread.
    Result: it failed in extracting such a huge file and I had to reinstall everything from the beginning.
    I think I will do an image of my hd and keep it very carefully on a separate hd.........
    Your depserate

H
    This is a very interesting phenomenon. Thank you very much for pointing out the file size limit problem for the uninformed Ubuntu user.

I have googled for a while on this problem and have found these:

1. http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=25116
    This page asserts that, depending on the file system used, there is no limit to the maximum file size in "tar". Note also the last user comment therein.

2. http://www.codecomments.com/archive3...11-691598.html
    This page draws the attention to "gzip" (and also possibly "bz2"), which has a size limit of 2 GB, due to the nature of a "zip" file.

3. http://aplawrence.com/Bofcusm/2078.html
    This page suggests using "pipes" to extract the tar file from a large-scale gzip / bz2 file, as a promising workaround to the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by herger View Post
    Hi all!
    Your depserate

H
    Maybe you did something wrong, it work perfectly for me, except some minor problems that were solved within 5 minutes ...

1) tar backup:
    Code:
    sudo tar cvpzf /wheretobackup/backup.tgz --exclude=/etc/fstab --exclude=/tmp --exclude=/boot --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/media --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys /
    2) bad things happens to my installation making it unusable
    3) fresh install with 7.10 CD
    4) untar the whole archive
    5) fix these minor problems

total time to be back up and running: 90 minutes or something like that.
    archive was about 4.5 gigs...
    El Belgicano
    -----------------
    Laptop: 5 years old Asus M6N (ATI9600/9700 graphics, 512Mb RAM, Intel Mobile 1.66GHz, 60Gb HDD) running 10.04-Lucid Lynx pretty nicely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by erginemr View Post
    As far as I know, 7-zip does not preserve file owner and permissions information, which is crucial for a successful restore, and therefore, cannot be used as a replacement to tar:
    http://www.ohloh.net/projects/3769/reviews
    Bummer
    You think the guys who work on the 7z archive format might add this feature?
    Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit - IP35-Pro | Q6600@3.3ghz(TRUE [lapped]) | G.Skill 2x2GB | MSI NX8600GT | 150GB WD Raptor ||| NAS - Ubuntu 10.04 - Intel D865GBF | P4 3.0GHz | G.Skill 4x1GB | FX5200-AGP | 3x250GB mdadm Raid5

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi,

I've just had an experience similar to Nightwalker07 in post #393 when unpacking a tarred backup of my ubuntu 7.10 server. The responses from tech9 about excluding /boot fixed the problem - hooray! (I figured out that I could save a copy of the /boot from the fresh installation somewhere else before unpacking the tar file and then overwriting the /boot with the saved copy. Using --exclude at the unpacking stage didn't seem to work)

However, my question is: Can someone edit the original post to add the requirement to exclude /boot from the tar file? This could save people like me a lot of hassle - I know I was lazy for not reading all fifty-odd pages of the thread in the first place, and I know that tech9 has subsequently started a new thread on the topic, but *this* is the thread that came up when I searched the topic, and it has the appearance of being definitive so to be hit with a problem at the restoring stage was a bit of a pain (fortunately it happened at a non-critical time though).

I would also just like to say that these forums ROCK! Thanks to everyone for contributing and helping me to learn so much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Talking Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Quote Originally Posted by Heliode View Post
    Ok I think you're right. I'll edit the howto.
    But if you just recreate the dev directory after restoring, does the system automatically recreate the device nodes?
    Somehow I don't think i've ever had the problem you discribe. My backups have always been somewhat proportional to the amount of data that was actually on the disk; I didn't have it suddenly double in size or anything. But if Linux just recreates the device nodes by itself then I guess it is save to exclude 'dev'.
    Hi i checked to see if it recreated the device nodes and it did infact recreate them on the boot.

Page 52 of 138 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast