Page 17 of 138 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Beans

Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

I'm using Dapper and there seems to be a new command format for tar. Now the --exclude statements need to go before the source directory....
    Code:
    tar cvpzf backup.tgz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tgz --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys /
    Even easier...you can create a file with the words you want to exclude and use the --exclude-from=FILE. See my example below but don't copy/paste it unless you created a file called 'excludes'.

Code:
    tar cvpzf backup.tgz --exclude_from=excludes /
    Hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

After reading and investigating this issue I settled on System Rescue CD. There are many excellent tools on this bootable cd. The backup utility is partimage. It backs up by partition into a tar gz, from which individual files are still accessible. Check it out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is it me or (possibly just Dapper?) do you have to enter the restore code like this:

Code:
    tar -c xvpfz backup.tgz /
    instead of this?:
    Code:
     tar xvpfz backup.tgz -C /

I couldn't get the restore to work until I made these changes.
    Last edited by CGW; July 7th, 2006 at 09:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Last edited by CGW; September 8th, 2006 at 09:39 PM.

Beans

If I'm not mistaken, the "f" has to be the last thing before the file name you're expanding. The "v" ought to show you (in detail!) what's going on; if you see nothing happening it's because...nothing's happening. I've noticed that tar sometimes doesn't give any error message when it's simply not doing anything.

I just tested with some files, and with the "z" last nothing happened (except I did get an error message), and with the "f" last, I got the archive expanded normally.

I'm pretty shaky with tar, but I believe this may be what's wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Actually I just rebooted and copied the same line of code into the terminal and it worked fine. I copied it both times instead of typing it--so I'm not sure what happened. It just finished 'restoring' and everything seems fine. I'm not sure what went wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by warchild77 View Post
    I'm using Dapper and there seems to be a new command format for tar. Now the --exclude statements need to go before the source directory....
    Code:
    tar cvpzf backup.tgz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tgz --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys /
    Even easier...you can create a file with the words you want to exclude and use the --exclude-from=FILE. See my example below but don't copy/paste it unless you created a file called 'excludes'.

Code:
    tar cvpzf backup.tgz --exclude_from=excludes /
    Hope that helps.
    I was wondering why none of the excludes worked now - thanks, you saved me a lot of time! Can we get the original post updated?

What is the format for the 'excludes' file? Is it just a list of directories on separate lines?

Thanks, David.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I didn't notice this mentioned before, but I may have missed it.

The above problems with excluded files not being excluded are in all likelihood the sources of the erros that produce

tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

You *should not* get this error message at the end of your output, and if you do get it, you should investigate!

It would be great to have the original post updated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Is the command ever supposed to exit out? Mine ran for quite awhile and left me with just a blinking cursor for about 15 minutes. I had to do a ctrl C to get back to a prompt. It did create the file which is about 2 GB. How do I know it finisihed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Providing your code was right you should see the files being 'backed-up' as they scroll up the terminal screen.

A 2GB backup will take a few minutes--15 minutes is probably a tad long. I'd do it again to make sure.

Page 17 of 138 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast