Page 138 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138
Results 1,371 to 1,375 of 1375

Thread: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Quote Originally Posted by gflam View Post
    Okay thank you that's what i figured just thought i'd ask the stupid question just to be sure ha i'll run this tonight and tomorrow will go messing with my system
    Sorry didn't see this last post of yours by the time I started my post.
    Ubuntu 16.04 / Linux 18
    “To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows
    box, you just need to work on it”.

Beans

Hi,

Can someone please tell me how to do the back up into an external hard-drive.

Please give the commands as i am a newbie.

Please also tell me how to delete the backup.tgz on my root folder, which was incompletely done, but has occupied the entire space.

Regards,
    sandeep.
    Last edited by msandeep273; July 25th, 2012 at 06:42 AM. Reason: found the answer. have another question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by msandeep273 View Post
    Hi,

Please also tell me how to delete the backup.tgz on my root folder, which was incompletely done, but has occupied the entire space.
    To remove the unfinished backup, the command you're looking for is rm. It's a really simple command, but if you have questions about it, check its manual entry:

Code:
    man rm
    Of course, since the file in question is in the root directory, you'll need superuser privileges to remove it.

Code:
    sudo rm /tar.gz
    Please notice that I gave the absolute path to the file in the command. Alternatively, I could have navigated to the root folder (cd /) and then simply used the file name.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by msandeep273 View Post
    Hi,

Can someone please tell me how to do the back up into an external hard-drive.

Please give the commands as i am a newbie.

Regards,
    sandeep.
    Giving the command verbatim would require too many assumptions, but there should only be two differences from backing up to a file within your system.

1. When giving the file name for your backup (the -f option of tar), you have to include the path to your external drive. It could be mounted any number of places, but my best guess is the /media directory. To check, as well as to see what it's named, use the list command:
    Code:
    ls /media
    Mine is within /media, and it is named "Expansion Drive", so in my case, the file portion of the command would be:
    Code:
    -f /media/Expansion\ Drive
    (Because of the space in Expansion Drive, I had to use a backslash.)

2. You probably don't want to back up your external drive, so make sure you exclude it from the backup. (See the manual entry for tar on details of the exclude options.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This thread is closed.

The information is now held on the community wiki at

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem/TAR
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ca...BackupRecovery

Thank you for your thread and the work you have done in keeping it current and of use to the community.

Support threads regarding the wiki and it's content should be created in a suitable forum.

Page 138 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138