Page 128 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 1375

Thread: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Beans

Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Even if I backup the entire 20gb file with unused space inside.. I will be able to use it after the restore correct? itll just take longer to backup..
    Thats fine if thats what you mean.

And was I right about how to restore it?

After I've reinstalled windows... run wubi and instal ubuntu.. when all thats done..
    just load windows.. and copy my files over the current ones? then reboot into ubuntu?
    that should give me the exact same ubuntu setup I currently have?

and arent the wubi config files the wubildr.mbr & wubildr file in C:\ubuntu?

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant06 View Post
    Even if I backup the entire 20gb file with unused space inside.. I will be able to use it after the restore correct? itll just take longer to backup..
    Thats fine if thats what you mean.
    Yes.

And was I right about how to restore it?
    I think so.

After I've reinstalled windows... run wubi and instal ubuntu.. when all thats done..
    just load windows.. and copy my files over the current ones? then reboot into ubuntu?
    that should give me the exact same ubuntu setup I currently have?

and arent the wubi config files the wubildr.mbr & wubildr file in C:\ubuntu?
    I think so.

Beans

Thats good enough for me then. Thanks man.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

I'm trying to learn how to image or create a backup server.
    So I decided to use the "tar" method for backup.

I have succesfully backed up all the directories from "/" except the ones that need to be excluded such as sys proc etc. size approx is 500MB.

I have the .tgz file on another server so I guess I can just use wget to download it on the new system using LIVE CD.

So I boot up the new server with Live CD and become the root user.

The new system has a 80GB hdd. Currently, there's a hdd with 80GB of unallocated space so it has no partitions whatsoever.

I have tried to follow many different steps and guides to get the backup server up but each time I end up with different errors. Sometimes it says kernel is not loaded. At other times it says Device UID doesn't exist; ofcourse the hardware is different.

Can someone please help me with a short step by step guide which tells me the commands to execute from the LIVE CD terminal which help me setup the partitions required and the GRUB set-up so that the back-up server can boot up.

I will really appreciate your help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psgill View Post
    I'm trying to learn how to image or create a backup server.
    So I decided to use the "tar" method for backup.

I have succesfully backed up all the directories from "/" except the ones that need to be excluded such as sys proc etc. size approx is 500MB.

I have the .tgz file on another server so I guess I can just use wget to download it on the new system using LIVE CD.

So I boot up the new server with Live CD and become the root user.

The new system has a 80GB hdd. Currently, there's a hdd with 80GB of unallocated space so it has no partitions whatsoever.

I have tried to follow many different steps and guides to get the backup server up but each time I end up with different errors. Sometimes it says kernel is not loaded. At other times it says Device UID doesn't exist; ofcourse the hardware is different.

Can someone please help me with a short step by step guide which tells me the commands to execute from the LIVE CD terminal which help me setup the partitions required and the GRUB set-up so that the back-up server can boot up.

I will really appreciate your help.

I don't know if this will help you, but as far as the Device UID goes, its talking specifically about the HD name. goto this site and checkout his instructions. It's pretty simple to rename the UID string to see the new HDD.
    http://ozansafi.wordpress.com/2010/0...-installation/
    goodluck

Beans

Thanks.

Beans

Thanks for the guide! I'm going to use this to backup my server.

My two cents: If you use 7zip (or any other program with LZMA compression), you'll save an important amount of space.

To install 7zip, run

Code:
    apt-get install p7zip
    It's not natively supported by tar, so you'd have to 7zip it separately:

Code:
    tar cvpf backup.tar --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tar --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys /
    7za a backup.tar.7z backup.tar
    rm -f backup.tar
    Results:

Uncompressed tarball: 729 MiB
    Compressed with gzip: 298 MiB
    Compressed with bzip2: 278 MiB
    Compressed with 7zip: 229 MiB

That's only three quarters of the gzip compressed tarball!

Beans

Tutorials & TipsI searched this thread for netbook - no joy

I would love to do this for a netbook to a little linux box. I have a partially hacked D-link DNS-323 to do more then serve for files. I might have ftp running - but will probably get it done first. My Netbook is a HP Mini 1000.
    I have spent a long time getting it just right. I have ONE lingering issue that is out of my control (Moonlight for Silverlight). The app is not under my control and neither is the Moonlight project.

I want to try a Hackintosh OS X 10.5.x because it SHOULD be able to run Silverlight. If this is a bust - I want to restore the full netbook on Ubunto without re-doing the weeks of hacking I needed to get it just right.

Is there any hope?

Thanks.
    Last edited by rsperson; July 22nd, 2011 at 01:42 AM.

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What?

Beans

Lets try again.

I have a netbook - HP Mini 1000
    This has NO CD or DVD drive.

Thus no local restore drive.

I have a limited Linux machine - A D-link DNS-323 NAS that runs a very hacked linux to get more functions. FTP server eventually, and Rsync - soon.

Can I create an image or full copy of my Netbook system on my Dlink that I can restore - when I don't have a CD/DVD drive.

Quote Originally Posted by rsperson View Post
    Tutorials & TipsI searched this thread for netbook - no joy

I would love to do this for a netbook to a little linux box. I have a partially hacked D-link DNS-323 to do more then serve for files. I might have ftp running - but will probably get it done first. My Netbook is a HP Mini 1000.
    I have spent a long time getting it just right. I have ONE lingering issue that is out of my control (Moonlight for Silverlight). The app is not under my control and neither is the Moonlight project.

I want to try a Hackintosh OS X 10.5.x because it SHOULD be able to run Silverlight. If this is a bust - I want to restore the full netbook on Ubunto without re-doing the weeks of hacking I needed to get it just right.

Is there any hope?

Thanks.

Page 128 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130 ... LastLast