Page 12 of 138 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    This didn't work for me in Breezy either. I posted a thread about it and the solution was to put the source directory at the end of the command. Using the command you have above, you would change it to read as follows:

Here's a link to my thread if you want more detail, but this change should take care of it. http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=70566
    worked like a charm!
    thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sal
    worked like a charm!
    thanks.
    You're welcome.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

hi,

is there anything to worry about my archive? this is the first time i've ever done this.

tar: /backup.tar.bz2: file changed as we read it
    tar: --exclude=/proc: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: --exclude=/lost+found: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: --exclude=/backup.tar.bz2: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: --exclude=/mnt: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: --exclude=/sys: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

thanks,
    ephman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Rehevkor
    Excellent guide

I'd like to try this, but I have very limited space on this hard drive (laptop) and I'm pretty certain I don't have room to generate the backup here. Is there a way to redirect the resulting backup.tgz to shared folder on my windows network instead of a local partition? Perhaps by using smbmount to mount the share, then create the backup.tgz from that location?
    I was rather puzzled by the seemingly excellent compression of my >15GB system down to 2GB over Samba to a network drive, and even more so when a backup of only my /home produced exactly the same result. I found I had run into the Samba 2GB file size limit (see this thread) - which could be really dangerous if you didn't realise your backup had been cut short.

To solve this, you need to use the lfs option when mounting your network drive i.e.

Code:
    sudo mount -t smbfs -o lfs,username=,password= //network_computer/network_drive /mnt/share/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm having a bit of trouble with excluding my other hard drive. Its mounted as /media/rothko but
    --exclude=/mnt or --exclude=/media/rothko don't exclude it. Is there a way to exclude /media/rothko and all the subdirectories?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    This didn't work for me in Breezy either. I posted a thread about it and the solution was to put the source directory at the end of the command. Using the command you have above, you would change it to read as follows:

Here's a link to my thread if you want more detail, but this change should take care of it. http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=70566
    This worked for me too. I guess the moral is 'read the whole post ' :-\

Thanks matthew!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Once thing guys, i've read the whole thread (AWESOME, big thanks), and my question is: What do i have to do to backup the system and restore in a new brand one?

I'm changimg my computer to a new one, totally different one. So, what do i have to do?
    Backup everything (excluding /dev i suppose, the drives and devices are different), then install ubuntu from CD and then restore everything? Will I keep everything like i have actually (desktop configuration...)

Thanks for your advices guys, i keep learning more and more because of you

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Eversmann
    Once thing guys, i've read the whole thread (AWESOME, big thanks), and my question is: What do i have to do to backup the system and restore in a new brand one?

I'm changimg my computer to a new one, totally different one. So, what do i have to do?
    Backup everything (excluding /dev i suppose, the drives and devices are different), then install ubuntu from CD and then restore everything? Will I keep everything like i have actually (desktop configuration...)

Thanks for your advices guys, i keep learning more and more because of you
    If you want to keep your configuration (desktop set up), passwords, bookmarks, emails etc, I would just backup you Home directory (inc all the hidden files). Correct me if I'm wrong, but that should be all you need. Then do a fresh install. If you're doing a backup to make your life easier (!) then doing a fresh install would do that - it would recognise your drives and devices.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I backed up my home directory, but when I try to open the archive, I get this error message:
    An error occurred while loading the archive.
    gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
    tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    I know that I typed the backup command into ternimal correctly. How come I can't open the archive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntufans
    this method doesnt work unless you run a livecd , i've tried moving from harddrive to another
    The method listed in this HOW-TO works very well for backups, it is one I use regularly on my network at home

You need to do things slightly differently if you want to migrate to a new hard drive or move a partition to a new drive or similar.

I'll give a quick example.

You have two hard drives /dev/hda and /dev/hdb. /de/hda is your curren system/old drive, /dev/hdb being your new drive you want to move to.

First install the new hard drive in your machine and mount it somewhere.

For instance /mnt/newhdd perhaps.

Then use the following command:

(cd /source/directory && tar cf - . ) | (cd /dest/directory && tar xvfp - )

Substitute /source/directory for the directory you want to transfer over (ie /home. Substitute /dest/directory for the directory where the new drive is (ie /mnt/newhdd/home).

For example, say you wanted to copy over your /etc dir to your new drive (remember to create the dir on the new drive first):

(cd /etc && tar cf - . ) | (cd /mnt/newhdd/etc && tar xvfp - )

That should copy the contents of /etc to /mnt/newhdd without any problems.

You can repeat this for each dir on the system you want to transfer.

This method works very well I've found if you've run out of space on a hard drive and want to move just part of the filesystem to another drive (ie your home dir perhaps).

I've used it to migrate my Debian servers to new/bigger hard drives before now, and it should work on any Debian based distro (Knoppix/Ubuntu, et al) without too many problems.

Theres more info on the Debian reference guide about various methods of doing this here

Hope this proves helpful.

Kelly Harding
    --
    Ubuntu Breezy - Compaq Presario 1200, Ubuntu Breezy/XP Pro - Athlon 64 3000+, Debian 'unstable' - dual P/II-350, OpenZaurus/Opie - Sharp Zaurus SL-5500, Mac OS X 10.2 - Apple PowerMac G3

Page 12 of 138 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast