Page 113 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1375

Thread: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Belgicano View Post
    First, do a fresh minimal install, then untar your backup...
    Or better yet, skip the install, and just untar your backup, then maybe reinstall grub.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by psusi View Post
    Why wouldn't it?
    Yes, I think you're right, because settings files are restored. Tar backup is much simplier than partition image, but I want to be sure, that it would help in any situation.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Vaidaskz View Post
    But what about if system gets corrupted due to new files are added (wrong drivers/modules or something)? I'm new to linux, but I guess it is possible situation. Then restoration from tar won't help, right?
    It will help if you can figure out which files broke. To which end it helps if the update/change is kept as small and ring-fenced as possible.

Vaidaskz, I don't want to give false confidence, this is my experience, but I regularly update my system (Lucid at the moment) and regularly add different programs and utilities, including some OSS not in the repositories.

I have never ever had an update break anything crucial.

Initial installs (upgrades) are different, but I plan for that. (It helps to keep the home partition separate from the system partition ; )

Beans

Hi Heliode,

First of all, thanks for making this guide! I know it was 5 years ago since you posted this originally, but was curious if you had time to possibly give some insight to my problems. I followed the guide, making a backup from /. The backup generation seemed just fine, yielding a 14.3 gig file. However, when I attempt to restore from the backup, my home directory (and possibly other stuff) does not get regenerated. I created a temporary file, and extracted in that file just to be sure what was coming out. This verified that home is empty (this is where the bulk of the 14 gigs should have come from)! I cannot figure out what may have gone wrong. The backup file is plenty big to have all the information... And to be sure, I did run the compression from /, which contains /home, and I did not exclude it. Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Quote Originally Posted by mjobrien View Post
    Hi Heliode,

First of all, thanks for making this guide! I know it was 5 years ago since you posted this originally, but was curious if you had time to possibly give some insight to my problems. I followed the guide, making a backup from /. The backup generation seemed just fine, yielding a 14.3 gig file. However, when I attempt to restore from the backup, my home directory (and possibly other stuff) does not get regenerated. I created a temporary file, and extracted in that file just to be sure what was coming out. This verified that home is empty (this is where the bulk of the 14 gigs should have come from)! I cannot figure out what may have gone wrong. The backup file is plenty big to have all the information... And to be sure, I did run the compression from /, which contains /home, and I did not exclude it. Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
    How about posting a bit more on how you did the backup? It was a tar command? Show us.

If you did use the tar command, you can view the contents of the tar.
    use something like
    Code:
    tar -tvf path_to_file
    One small tiny word of warning (ok, several words), tar will keep hold of the full file paths, when you tar -x then the files get put back in place... and you went from the root? Um, does your system look now like it did before the backup?

I refer you to Heliode's page 1, Step 2:

2: Restoring

Warning: Please, for goodness sake, be careful here

Beans

Hi Jal,

Thanks for the useful tip: tar -tvf. It turns out, the contents I expected to be in the backup aren't there. So I suppose the unpacking is working just fine, and for some reason the backup process didn't work properly..... And yes, for the backup process, I just issued the tar command given in the guide, as root, at /. Is there a possibility that my partition architecture caused problems? My entire hard-drive is encrypted, aside from the bootable partition. The encrypted partition is then divided up as an lvm, and partitioned further giving several gigs to the root, mounted on /, and the rest to home, mounted on /home. Do you think this could cause the problem? Thanks!!

ps: I was not worried about destroying anything w/ the Restore, since everything was pretty bad to begin with. So, rewriting stuff isn't an issue here, just trying to get back what I had at the point of the backup I didn't lose any work in the end bcs it is all backed up to a shared repository, but since my backup failed, I lost configuration files, and some pdfs, and other (hopefully) minor stuff, that I thought would be safely hidden in my backup file.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mjobrien View Post
    Is there a possibility that my partition architecture caused problems?
    tar works with the unix file system, it packs the specified directories and files into a single file. Of partitions it knows nought.

In a terminal (for example)
    Code:
    ls -R /home
    will list out all the files on the pathname, and giving the same pathname to tar will pack those files into a tarball. If you specify the v (verbose) switch tar will list the files to the terminal as it works, so you can see what's happening.

In a terminal try
    Code:
    man tar
    tar --help

Beans

Ok, thanks! It is always good to learn new tricks.

Beans

After a couple years of not using TAR (just copying file into backup instead) I decided to relearn how to do this.

Anyway, I just backed up my home and etc folders and I noticed that while backing up /.googleearth/Cache/dbCache.dat, the process seemed to quit. Actually it was just taking a long time to copy the contents of the 2gig file. I learned that I could exclude this file from the backup plan.

Question...Should all cache files be eliminated from backup? Or are some of them important to make things operate properly?
    Last edited by sofasurfer; October 29th, 2010 at 09:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks! I will back it up later today!
    He peers into your SOUL

Sorry if I multipost in any help threads I make, I'm an impatient human.

Page 113 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast