Page 111 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1375

Thread: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Beans

Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Quote Originally Posted by auh2o View Post
    For chrissakes, the year is 2010. I haven't used a terminal since the DOS ages, and I don't intend to start again. I hereby proclaim the terminal dead for everybody except geeks, and it is certainly not in the interest of the continued proliferation of the Ubuntu distro to new users to promote terminal use. You may take issue with that, but it's the cold hard truth. No normal computer user today will want to have to use a terminal if there's a GUI alternative. So let's talk about those instead. There are a few in the Ubuntu repositories, but I have no experience with any of them. Back In Time, Déjà Dup, Keep, LuckyBackup are a few. Which are good, which are not so good? Pros, cons, features or lack thereof?

At any rate, DARE to refuse terminal use!
    Couldn't agree with you more.

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes, and while we're at it, let's get rid of the keyboard altogether! You don't need to be able to enter arbitrary words. All you need to do is browse the web, upload photos, and poke people. If you can't say it by clicking on one of the dozen emoticons provided, then you don't need to say it!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by auh2o View Post
    For chrissakes, the year is 2010. I haven't used a terminal since the DOS ages, and I don't intend to start again. I hereby proclaim the terminal dead for everybody except geeks, and it is certainly not in the interest of the continued proliferation of the Ubuntu distro to new users to promote terminal use. You may take issue with that, but it's the cold hard truth. No normal computer user today will want to have to use a terminal if there's a GUI alternative. So let's talk about those instead. There are a few in the Ubuntu repositories, but I have no experience with any of them. Back In Time, Déjà Dup, Keep, LuckyBackup are a few. Which are good, which are not so good? Pros, cons, features or lack thereof?

At any rate, DARE to refuse terminal use!

Quote Originally Posted by psusi
    Yes, and while we're at it, let's get rid of the keyboard altogether! You don't need to be able to enter arbitrary words. All you need to do is browse the web, upload photos, and poke people. If you can't say it by clicking on one of the dozen emoticons provided, then you don't need to say it!
    =D>
    Ubuntu 16.04 / Linux 18
    “To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows
    box, you just need to work on it”.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by marshalrosy View Post
    I have tried to do it but it shows an error of not enough storage capacity.. So what can I do??
    First of all make sure you are not packing the tar you're creating...
    Then an easy fix: buy an external HD, at less than 10c/Gb you can get a 1Tb for under 100$... Don't forget to unplug it every time and keep it somewhere safe, far from the backed up computer...
    El Belgicano
    -----------------
    Laptop: 5 years old Asus M6N (ATI9600/9700 graphics, 512Mb RAM, Intel Mobile 1.66GHz, 60Gb HDD) running 10.04-Lucid Lynx pretty nicely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system! (off topic)

my, what a thread! Started May 17th, 2005
    would make it about as old as
    El_Belgicano's "old" ASUS, wouldn't it?

my 2 cent's worth:
    a GUI window is not the way to manage a system. All important system changes must be done (and even logged) via a terminal session, using pre-tested and proven script (which can be just a cut'n'pasted line); a series of screen shots showing which buttons to press is _not_ going to be testable. A list of ambiguous button descriptions is even worse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

My twopennyworth (OK I am English!).

The problem is that for us mere mortals who have graduated to Ubuntu from that unmentionable operating system, system windows are a bit daunting. I have tried, and made a mess of things on occasion (I managed to get two different installations of the same program in different places when I discovered that I should be using a Debian source rather than a tar ball. It took a while to realise where I had gone wrong, and longer to get it right!).

So, I now backup all of my data to an external drive, using the Archive manager, and, if I have to restore the system, will do a clean install then restore the data. Not the most elegant solution, but perhaps the easiest.
    Barry
    A near novice where Ubuntu is concerned!
    Currently using 22.04

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
    My twopennyworth (OK I am English!).
    Not the most elegant solution, but perhaps the easiest.
    Strenuously disagree. Please remove words "Not" and "but". Also, tupence is worth far more the 2 cents.

The reason I was exploring this thread is, I was about to upgrade and thought I might push the the home partition off to backup before hand in case I had to re-install.

I'll probably go with partimage, as it's definitive and offline, but tar was a definite possible. In the last century some old farts might have gone with dump.

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jal View Post
    I'll probably go with partimage, as it's definitive and offline, but tar was a definite possible. In the last century some old farts might have gone with dump.
    I actually switched to using dump on my server a few months ago, and it's pretty nice.

Beans
    Distro

I was reading

http://www.debianadmin.com/backup-ba...of-backup.html

and came across the phrase:

it must be restored to a similar disk with same disk geometry and bad blocks in same places. Watch out for this.
    relative to dump... it gave me pause to think.

If this is true then I might not be able to restore to a different disk.

Beans

I used tar to backup and restore a fedora system. I think I had to tweak the OP a little bit to exclude some files or something, but it did work. There is also a utility called PAX (I think that's it) that I used later which was easier to use. Clonezilla proved to not be very good for disks that have bad sectors.. it could not make a copy yet I popped in acronis and it copied the data just fine to a new system and the new system worked great (obviously, nothing too important sat on those bad sectors)

When it comes to home backups I prefer my data is not encapsulated. I'll tell you why. Sometimes an archive is corrupt. If individual files on the backup media are somehow corrupt, it's possible the rest of the files will be fine. I've seen people have a single archive file being overwritten only to later discover the last archive written didn't finish or was corrupt leading to huge headaches. I want data I know I can get to and I want multiple medias to resort to! Multiple archive files could also provide some protection if that's the only way permissions can be preserved.

A lot of people worry too much about system files, unless there is some crazy custom software stuff going on, I just worry about config files and the data. One other thing about backups is make sure you're backing up SQL databases correctly by unlocking or exporting the database.
    Last edited by needhelppeeps; October 11th, 2010 at 11:04 AM.

Page 111 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast