Page 109 of 138 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1375

Thread: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

thanks for sharing.......
    --------------------------------------------
    I want to get away from social networking badly.
    --------------------------------------------

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thanks OP =D
    Nothing witty here. =(

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Hey, Nice work i'm backing up now, just wanted to know if I can do an incremental backup and only replace the files that have changed, I have a lot of old files that are used every second or third week, and I plan on backing up once or twice a week.

So can this be done?

cheers
    www.endorsedbylinux.org -
    HTML Code:
    [B]www.linuxpetitions.org[/B]
    Letting Company's know we do give a damn about our software!
    Please contribute code and time to make these sites work

Beans

I still haven't received any tutorials/documentation from EMC. I'm beginning to think that EMC is pretty much paying lip service regarding Retrospect Linux support.Thanks for such a nice post.

Beans
    Hidden!

For chrissakes, the year is 2010. I haven't used a terminal since the DOS ages, and I don't intend to start again. I hereby proclaim the terminal dead for everybody except geeks, and it is certainly not in the interest of the continued proliferation of the Ubuntu distro to new users to promote terminal use. You may take issue with that, but it's the cold hard truth. No normal computer user today will want to have to use a terminal if there's a GUI alternative. So let's talk about those instead. There are a few in the Ubuntu repositories, but I have no experience with any of them. Back In Time, Déjŕ Dup, Keep, LuckyBackup are a few. Which are good, which are not so good? Pros, cons, features or lack thereof?

At any rate, DARE to refuse terminal use!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by auh2o View Post
    At any rate, DARE to refuse terminal use!
    Dare to refuse Ubuntu if you want, but I don't think it's fair to compare the Linux terminal to the DOS command prompt..

Beans

HELIODE

Thanks so much for this no fuss way to bkup the linux system, this is exactly what I've been searching for!

I was able to back up my entire 10.04 system into a 1Gig tar file using your exact method (took less then 5mins to compress), completely bork my system by installing the nvidia proprietary drivers (black screen at startup), then magically reset back to the pre-borked state by booting up from live cd, mounting the linux partition, removing everything (except the backup file) and then unzipping it all back to the linux partition (less then 5 mins to extract)

I now feel like I can fully play with ubuntu without having to worry about damaging the system beyond repair (requiring a reinstall from CD)

Thanks again!

Beans

Angry Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

I have a bit of a problem. When I try to restore my partition, it won't start up and simply collapses into a shell after several minutes of the ubuntu splash screen. i'm running ubuntu lucid with an encrypted home folder, if that helps at all, and i included the /dev folder as well. someone help! i spent a while customizing my system and i really don't want to start all over. i backed up my system as per the first post in this thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jbiggs12 View Post
    I have a bit of a problem. When I try to restore my partition, it won't start up and simply collapses into a shell after several minutes of the ubuntu splash screen. i'm running ubuntu lucid with an encrypted home folder, if that helps at all, and i included the /dev folder as well. someone help! i spent a while customizing my system and i really don't want to start all over. i backed up my system as per the first post in this thread.
    Since you get the splashscreen, a grub issue is less likely the culprit, it sounds more like an fstab issue, I ran into something similar the day I moved from a dual-boot windows-ubuntu to a reformatted ubuntu-only hdd.

Things that could be useful to know:

* Did you include /etc/fstab in your backup?
    * Could you provide more details on the backup circumstances:
    - did you make changes to the partition table?
    - other things you could think might have had an implication.
    - what made you have to use your backup? (wrong deletion of some files/folders, unbootable system,...)
    * Also the output of: "sudo fdisk -l" and "cat /etc/fstab"

Welcome to the hard-learning method...
    El Belgicano
    -----------------
    Laptop: 5 years old Asus M6N (ATI9600/9700 graphics, 512Mb RAM, Intel Mobile 1.66GHz, 60Gb HDD) running 10.04-Lucid Lynx pretty nicely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Hi all, GREAT guide, one command that does it all I was trying to make a backup using mondo but the burned dvd doesnt boot so was looking for other methods and found this one. Very cool.

I have one question though, how does this handle a software raid array? Currently I have a RAID1 array on the company FILE server, If I do this backup will the arrays stay configured or do I have to copy it to one disk and then recreate the array in case I want to restore?

regards and thanks for the guide
    Linux User#498977
    There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who dont.
    My Blog about Linux and other stuff

Page 109 of 138 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast