Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Oblivion under Ubuntu with Wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Oblivion under Ubuntu with Wine

I followed all the steps exactly, and the game screen is blank(like a darkish blue), but I can see the GUI.

wine --version
    Code:
    wine-0.9.29
    Also, the sound is just static when I play the game. The menus are also very messed up.
    Last edited by Megatog615; February 7th, 2007 at 07:27 PM.
    ~Megatog615

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Turn off HDR. 99% of the time people say this they have HDR on. You can turn it off from the Launcher.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Most of the sound is static, still.
    ~Megatog615

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

That's caused by ambient sounds and sometimes music. I turn sound effects down to 25% and turn everything else up to 100%. I can hear sound effects fine, but the static is unnoticable -- however I think it has as much to do with your soundcard and speakers as to how much static you hear. Also newer Wine builds the sound mixing appears to produce less static for Oblivion. I assume it's caused by not clearing the extra space in the buffers, since they don't align by assumed block size. I can hear hit/spell/etc sounds fine this way but not the static. Sorry, it's the only work around besides patching Wine.

Beans

I tried playing it with wine 0.9.30. WOW! all shaders work, even bloom works too bad about the messed up models, will this be fixed in wine 0.9.31? It would be great can't wait!
    "Historically I've had a “love-hate” relationship with Apple. They love themselves and I hate them."
    - Jeremy Allison

Beans

I've read over the thread and don't see any advice for the following:

When I run Oblivion it works, but the screen freezes just before the King is attacked for the first time. That is, going down the stairs and through the first door.

Does anyone else have this experience? I installed v29 but that doesn't seem to help. Maybe my video card is problematic: 6600 with 128 memory.

Ah well, it does run in windows and I do still have windows installed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Actually, Oblivion has a min requirement of 256MB iirc. You should set your wine settings to 128MB instead of 256MB if you haven't already. You'll be getting a lot of texture thrashing I'd imagine however... but that's better than crashing. You also need to dail down all your settings to smallest texture size.

Edit: I forgot to mention -- you should half your shadow map and related settings as well. I don't think they're affected by the quality sliders.
    Last edited by Mongoose; February 13th, 2007 at 03:39 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bastiegast View Post
    I tried playing it with wine 0.9.30. WOW! all shaders work, even bloom works too bad about the messed up models, will this be fixed in wine 0.9.31? It would be great can't wait!
    Yeah I had the same thing. I hadn't had GLSL on because it doesn't work with Guild Wars (is slow and causes draw errors), but turning it on made everything in Oblivion work except the meshes were screwed up (as someone said before they would be). And it even ran smoothly. Awesome! Here's hoping. Just fix that and the sound and it's good to go!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I just updated the Oblivion:Linux wiki -- GIT wine fixes the mesh issue in 0.9.30! Thanks to the guys at WineHQ for keeping me in the loop. =)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

At this point I have a problem since I do not see a folder called Direct3D. It just isn't there for me. I'm running the 0.9.30 version of wine.

Now browse HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Software / Wine / Direct3D. Right click in the pane to make New > String Value for each of the following key pairs:
    Any suggestions?

EDIT: I made the keys, but the parent folder which should be called "Direct3D" is currently called "New Key #1", and whenever I click on rename to change it, nothing happens.

EDIT: Apparently there is a bug in the 0.9.30 version of wine in renaming keys. It is fixed in 0.9.31 though. Just thought I would let people know about this.
    Last edited by zgerrz; February 16th, 2007 at 11:16 PM.

Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast